Solitary Lung Met - Looking for Positive Experiences

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: Solitary Lung Met - Looking for Positive Experiences

Postby susie0915 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:13 am

LaciK wrote:The surgeon removed the entire middle lobe due to the position of the met which has been confirmed as a spread of the rectal cancer vs. a new primary. The surgery was yesterday morning and I am at home this evening resting comfortably.

So glad your surgery went well and you are resting comfortably. This may be a dumb question. How do they know it is a met and not a new primary cancer? Are there certain characteristics of the tumor that determine it? I ask because even though my oncologist and pulmonologist have said they don't think my 4mm lung nodule being monitored is a met but related to interstitial lung disease, the pulmonologist did throw out there is always the possibility of a new lung cancer. But, will not know until it is monitored and watched for any changes as it is too small to biopsy or do a pet scan.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:39 pm

LaciK wrote:The surgeon removed the entire middle lobe due to the position of the met which has been confirmed as a spread of the rectal cancer vs. a new primary. The surgery was yesterday morning and I am at home this evening resting comfortably.

I had a good recovery as well BUTT lucked out with just a VATS wedge resection :shock:
HEAL GENTLY MY FRIEND !!!!!

susie0915 wrote:So glad your surgery went well and you are resting comfortably. This may be a dumb question.
My Father, long time teacher, once said "The only dumb question is one which doesn't get asked .. because dumb questions are easier to handle .. than dumb mistakes !!! " :mrgreen: He taught Industrial Electrical / electronics where mistakes get you BLOWED UP from a 220V transformer coil :twisted:

How do they know it is a met and not a new primary cancer?
they will likely do intra-operative pathology on quick frozen / quick prepped biopsy sections while you are still in surgery.
IF a primary = lobectomy. IF met = resect and close kind of thing. LOCATION is also an issue WRT further Tx options which may be required down the line. A lotta surgeons favor " when in doubt .. GET IT OUT ! "

Are there certain characteristics of the tumor that determine it?
Not always ... BUTT there are "suspicions" + experience + diagnostics which take it from guessing to ACTION.

I ask because even though my oncologist and pulmonologist have said they don't think my 4mm lung nodule being monitored is a met but related to interstitial lung disease, the pulmonologist did throw out there is always the possibility of a new lung cancer. But, will not know until it is monitored and watched for any changes as it is too small to biopsy or do a pet scan.

My motto is :
"You will miss MORE for not looking than not knowing"

ALWAYS keep on your docs to keep looking AGGRESSIVELY.
If they are taking a watch and wait approach ... make sure they ARE WATCHING more than waiting.

JMO
BTDT

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:12 pm

CRguy wrote:

I had a good recovery as well BUTT lucked out with just a VATS wedge resection :shock:
HEAL GENTLY MY FRIEND !!!!!

susie0915 wrote:So glad your surgery went well and you are resting comfortably. This may be a dumb question.
My Father, long time teacher, once said "The only dumb question is one which doesn't get asked .. because dumb questions are easier to handle .. than dumb mistakes !!! " :mrgreen: He taught Industrial Electrical / electronics where mistakes get you BLOWED UP from a 220V transformer coil :twisted:

How do they know it is a met and not a new primary cancer?
they will likely do intra-operative pathology on quick frozen / quick prepped biopsy sections while you are still in surgery.
IF a primary = lobectomy. IF met = resect and close kind of thing. LOCATION is also an issue WRT further Tx options which may be required down the line. A lotta surgeons favor " when in doubt .. GET IT OUT ! "

Are there certain characteristics of the tumor that determine it?
Not always ... BUTT there are "suspicions" + experience + diagnostics which take it from guessing to ACTION.

I ask because even though my oncologist and pulmonologist have said they don't think my 4mm lung nodule being monitored is a met but related to interstitial lung disease, the pulmonologist did throw out there is always the possibility of a new lung cancer. But, will not know until it is monitored and watched for any changes as it is too small to biopsy or do a pet scan.

My motto is :
"You will miss MORE for not looking than not knowing"

ALWAYS keep on your docs to keep looking AGGRESSIVELY.
If they are taking a watch and wait approach ... make sure they ARE WATCHING more than waiting.

Absolutely. I am constantly asking about it. I have another chest scan coming up in January. I asked my oncologist why chest wasn't included in October when I had my pelvic scan, but she said since my chest scan in July showed no change, the planned scan in January was good. She mentioned she didn't want to over expose me to radiation if not necessary, and she definitely feels the spot is related to my interstitial lung disease. So hopefully the January scan will show no change or shrinkage, but I will stay on top of it.

JMO
BTDT

Cheers
CRguy
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm

dare I say .....
WORD !

cheers homie
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Sunwaterandsky

Postby Sunwaterandsky » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 am

Congratulations on the successful surgery. I had a VATs procedure in August and was surprised at how quickly I recovered. I have lingering problems with mucus build up and asthma but I am back at work teaching and walking 3-5 km a day and pushing higher on the weekends. My docs have all said that chemo is not necessary after 6 years NED but that we will follow up with scans. My colorectal surgeon said that the side effects of the radiation are still less than those of chemo.

Best of luck in your recovery and may we all remain NED!
Stage 3B colon cancer at 47 years of age
small benign tumour on Rt adrenal gland
Xelox started 28/10/2011 finished 04/2012
CT scan clear 16/2012
Colonoscopy Clear October 2012
CT scan clear January 2013
CT scan Jan 2016 - small 9mm lung nodule
CT scan April 2017 - lung nodule 1.5 cm, bilateral thyroid lesions
Aug 2017 Right upper lobe lobectomy for lung nodule CC met

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”