Blood in stool? Am I imagining it?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maelleous

Blood in stool? Am I imagining it?

Postby Maelleous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:21 pm

So I had ny reversal done a couple of months ago. I just had my most recent high resolution CT scans less than a month ago and everything was clear.

My stool has been unusual since my reversal off and on. The past few days i have drank a lot more coffee than usual and noticed this morning that my stool was really really dark, almost black. I have gone a bunch of times today, and the stool is a bit on the runny side and leaving residue at the bottom of the toilet. The first time I saw this months ago it scared me because the brown pooled at the bottom and reminded me of the days I used to see blood. The most recent bowel movement seemed to be a reddish brown, but I can’t tell for sure, def not like my old rectal cancer but enough to worry me that maybe it is blood from higher in the GI tract. It not tarry like I’ve read online. The problem I have noticed since my reversal is that I will at time see bits of the food I have eaten the day before, as I don’t digest great just yet.

Am I being a hypochondriac since I JUST had scans and they were all up in there a few months ago for my reversal? Does anyone have stools that sometimes look like this? Or should I be worried and call the doc on Monday. I see them in a few weeks for my surgery follow up.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

Maelleous

Re: Blood in stool? Am I imagining it?

Postby Maelleous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Ok just went again and it is definitely blood.

Is it possible it is something other than cancer? I JUST was scanned less than a month ago. I had the reversal in August... I am on an aspirin regiment so I do bleed a little easy but still, freaking out here.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
Still NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Maelleous wrote:Is it possible it is something other than cancer?
= Yes
... call the doc on Monday
= Yes

That is what they are there for !

Best wishes
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:14 am

I sent the doctor a message on my chart (with clevaeland Clinic)

After some research I am thinking (and hoping) it is more likely an anal fissure. Since my cancer was slow growing and I just got the all clear less than a month ago, and 2 and half months ago had a flex sig, and gastro-gapphine enema, my wife talked me off a ledge and said it is very likely something other than cancer. It seems from some straining or hard stools you can get small anal fissures. I think and praying it is one of those things instead most likely.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

benben

Postby benben » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:28 am

You may be suffering some colitis where the colon becomes ultra sensitive and can bleed. I know I have a fatty spot in my resection and that bled for quite some time after resection. This was located on descending colon where it was removed from the intestines. It has stopped.bleeding about 4-5 months after resection but the fatty tissue still remains and sometimes sluffs off into the toilet. Also causes me some fluctuations of constipation followed by diahhera for a few days.

But definitely contact the onc. Been a few days i imagine u already have. Did u get some findings?

Best wishes.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”