Reversal Journal -- just had the surgery this morning.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maelleous

Re: Reversal Journal -- just had the surgery this morning.

Postby Maelleous » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:35 am

Day 11 Another good day! I woke up, passed a few small ones, and then felt brave enough to take our dog to the local marina area where there is a green market (lots of toilets) and to pick up breakfast from a place I knew sold some stuff I could get that would be low fiber. Made it fine without having to go. Came out, passed a few small ones several times during the day. I almost think I need to add a little fiber at this point. All day was fine. I did get one passing that was a little more "urgent" than the others, but it wasn't like before. Still a formed poo... I only took one immodium in the morning before we left, and I don't think I actually needed it.

This morning I woke up, went a twice now, both fully formed. I am going to try having a little fiber in my diet today, via fruit/veggies, nothing crazy, but I am so happy to report it seems to be getting better and better.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Basil wrote:My reversal is scheduled for September 25. After that I am done! Next appointment will be scans in a year.

Dr. Is hopeful that I might have a bit of an easier time without having received radiation. Who knows. One more challenge to face! Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Radiation can cause damage to the situation, I'm glad you were able to avoid it !
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Maelleous wrote:Day 11 Another good day! I woke up, passed a few small ones, and then felt brave enough to take our dog to the local marina area where there is a green market (lots of toilets) and to pick up breakfast from a place I knew sold some stuff I could get that would be low fiber. Made it fine without having to go. Came out, passed a few small ones several times during the day. I almost think I need to add a little fiber at this point. All day was fine. I did get one passing that was a little more "urgent" than the others, but it wasn't like before. Still a formed poo... I only took one immodium in the morning before we left, and I don't think I actually needed it.

This morning I woke up, went a twice now, both fully formed. I am going to try having a little fiber in my diet today, via fruit/veggies, nothing crazy, but I am so happy to report it seems to be getting better and better.

I read your whole post, on many of the entries, you mentioned Salmon Dip. For some reason, I never had a problem with milk or cheese, until I had Chemo, and radiation. I eat a little dip, but far and few between. I loved my Cheerios in the morning, although somehow, I became somewhat lactose intolerant. I had 3cm left after surgery, and your journey may be right on track with mine. I'm 5 years out, still take an immodium equivalent daily. To function for the day properly, I resist breakfast, as if I eat before 11AM, I am reduced to a limited time ,away from a commode. For some reason, I am not as affected if I postpone breakfast entirely . Perhaps, your coffee may have an effect, butt I'm not giving up my coffee !
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 am

@justin --- ya I am mildly lactose intolerant. The salmon dip doesn't have any milk products in it. I've been drinking decaf and desperately miss reg coffee. Going to test that in the next day or two. I can't go much longer without it. So tired all day without some caffeine.

Day 11: Day started off great. I did some work around my yard as I felt find. Burned some pepper tree stumps and then accidently caught a gas can on fire like an idiot, lol. I risked some fruit with breakfast, had some uncured sea salt bacon, and some cininnom rolls. That was a bit too risky and my stomach got a little queasy, I think from the grease on bacon. I had told myself since I am limited to a more unhealthy diet I would eat things (like bacon) now, as once I can resume a more plant based diet I would move off it completely, so enjoying those things now. I went quite a few times, no diarreah but a lot of effort for some tiny poos. I did zero metimucil and zero immodium again. I had a buffalo meat burger for lunch with some potatoe salad (that was mustard based.) Had several difficult passing, and when it gets my bowels going all crazy, I get super tired and took a nap. After I woke up, it as a lot better. Had some pasta with dinner and some garlic bread. Drank some milk and ate a banana dipped in peanut butter. Woke up a few times very gassy and passed some micro poos, but it wasn't bad. So far this morning is fine.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
Still NED

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 am

Day 12
Day started out great, but I got cocky. Had some bread and eggs and ate a single strawberry (missing real fruit. At lunch time I was really getting the urge to get out of the house and had seen the commercial for that grilled pico sandwhich from McDonalds. I thought that might be safe and decided to go have one... of course I couldn't say no to those horribly unhealthy yet delicious fries. I paid for it, badly. It started out as somewhat normal poo, then I kept having to go over and over and then it turned to close to liquid. I ended the day by sitting on a hot pad (always seems to help) and taking half an immodium. I made it fine though the night.

Question, when your bowels get nuts, do you notice that you have to pee more often and have trouble completely emptying? I noticed that even back when I had my cancer I had urinary issues. I remember seeing a Urologist before I got diagnosed because I had issues completely emptying and curious if the imflammation from my bowels pushes on my bladder or prostate.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 am

Maelleous wrote:Day 12
Day started out great, but I got cocky. Had some bread and eggs and ate a single strawberry (missing real fruit. At lunch time I was really getting the urge to get out of the house and had seen the commercial for that grilled pico sandwhich from McDonalds. I thought that might be safe and decided to go have one... of course I couldn't say no to those horribly unhealthy yet delicious fries. I paid for it, badly. It started out as somewhat normal poo, then I kept having to go over and over and then it turned to close to liquid. I ended the day by sitting on a hot pad (always seems to help) and taking half an immodium. I made it fine though the night.

Question, when your bowels get nuts, do you notice that you have to pee more often and have trouble completely emptying? I noticed that even back when I had my cancer I had urinary issues. I remember seeing a Urologist before I got diagnosed because I had issues completely emptying and curious if the imflammation from my bowels pushes on my bladder or prostate.

Yes, I spent a lot of time peeing last night while unsuccessfully trying to poop. So yes, definitely bladder issues when there are bowel issues. I just drank all of the pre-radiology water right now - hope I can hold it in. And yes, while you may be having problems here, I'm quite envious of where you are in your progress.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 pm

NHMike wrote:

Yes, I spent a lot of time peeing last night while unsuccessfully trying to poop. So yes, definitely bladder issues when there are bowel issues. I just drank all of the pre-radiology water right now - hope I can hold it in. And yes, while you may be having problems here, I'm quite envious of where you are in your progress.

If you are in the final stages of chemo/rad, that feeling of razor blades coming out, is your tumor breaking up, and being passed .
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 am

justin case wrote:
NHMike wrote:

If you are in the final stages of chemo/rad, that feeling of razor blades coming out, is your tumor breaking up, and being passed .

No razor blade feelings yet but I had constipation over the weekend and that was no fun. Everything was sore yesterday and I was exhausted for lack of sleep. I can see sloughing of stuff coming out but I still worry that the tumor is getting bigger after having shrunk for the first two weeks. The radiology doctor says that that is extremely unlikely though. I slept well last night and had a small poop this morning so I'm feeling a bit better.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

The situation you are describing is completely in line with this protocol. If you start seeing bits of tissue in your stool, that is the tumor remnants . Be wise and know that you are scheduled for 25, or28 treatments, It's been a while. The last 3 are targeted directly at the tumor ......There is no spinning machinery. Some of the radiation while in spinning mode, is there to control any offspring (Ha! I like that analogy ) close to the actual tumor. It sounds like you are halfway through, so good luck in the coming weeks. After all is said and done, I witnessed a relatively short recovery time . I also worked through most of it, lifting large amounts, of paper in a printing establishment.
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Good luck to you Justin. When this is all done, it will just feel like a bad dream to you. I am starting to get to the point where it feels like that.

Day 13Was by far the best day yet. I probably went 10-15 times but it was small, almost normal poops. I actually braved going out for lunch with my mom for her bday. It was a place super close to my house and is a BBQ type of joint that does stuffed baked potatoes. I got one that was stuffed with chicken and cheese. It had a small amount of mushrooms that I decided to risk and put a little of the golden BBQ sauce on it. I normally use the sweet but decided not to risk it. Thankfully I was able to tolerate it all. I even went to dinner with my wife to this place where we can bring our dog (she has a giant baby cart she rides in, she is big, 58lbs, boxer/rottie mix) but is old and battled cancer too. She had melenoma on the tongue a few months before I got my rectal cancer. Then she had liver cancer a few months ago. Surgery worked for both. Then the melenoma came back and got in her cheek. We did surgery again. It came back in one month. Then a dog oncologist said there is a vaccine that was developed for humans (still in trials) but the University of Florida modified it for dogs. In a clinical trial they did 4 years ago, it was 70% effective in the dogs past the 2 year trial. When dogs get melenoma they die in 3-7 months. What was crazy is that we were getting vaccines on opposite weeks while I was in my trial. It def worked, it has been 3 months and she is still cancer free! Just had her scans right before my reversal. I asked the dog doc to send me the clinical trial data and it sounds almost identical to the vaccine I got in my clinical trial, very encouraging!

Last night I had to go several times, but mostly normal and no urgency. Def a good day.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm

justin case wrote:The situation you are describing is completely in line with this protocol. If you start seeing bits of tissue in your stool, that is the tumor remnants . Be wise and know that you are scheduled for 25, or28 treatments, It's been a while. The last 3 are targeted directly at the tumor ......There is no spinning machinery. Some of the radiation while in spinning mode, is there to control any offspring (Ha! I like that analogy ) close to the actual tumor. It sounds like you are halfway through, so good luck in the coming weeks. After all is said and done, I witnessed a relatively short recovery time . I also worked through most of it, lifting large amounts, of paper in a printing establishment.
Michael

I asked the radiology nurse and she said that the last three days the radiation is in a tighter pattern.

Tomorrow is the halfway point but I suspect that it gets a lot more painful on the blistering stuff. I'm looking for a cocyx cushion but I can't find any in the local stores so I might order one online. I'm using towels on my car seat and on my home office chair to add a little comfort. I feel quite tired today - could be the blood draw, radiation or leftover from constipation. Yes, there are pieces of white to translucent bits in the toilet and I've seen what the tumor looks like so it's likely that.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm

NHMike wrote:
justin case wrote:The situation you are describing is completely in line with this protocol. If you start seeing bits of tissue in your stool, that is the tumor remnants . Be wise and know that you are scheduled for 25, or28 treatments, It's been a while. The last 3 are targeted directly at the tumor ......There is no spinning machinery. Some of the radiation while in spinning mode, is there to control any offspring (Ha! I like that analogy ) close to the actual tumor. It sounds like you are halfway through, so good luck in the coming weeks. After all is said and done, I witnessed a relatively short recovery time . I also worked through most of it, lifting large amounts, of paper in a printing establishment.
Michael

I asked the radiology nurse and she said that the last three days the radiation is in a tighter pattern.

Tomorrow is the halfway point but I suspect that it gets a lot more painful on the blistering stuff. I'm looking for a cocyx cushion but I can't find any in the local stores so I might order one online. I'm using towels on my car seat and on my home office chair to add a little comfort. I feel quite tired today - could be the blood draw, radiation or leftover from constipation. Yes, there are pieces of white to translucent bits in the toilet and I've seen what the tumor looks like so it's likely that.

It seems the radiation is doing it's job ! Perhaps by the time you find a cushion, it may be over with. It usually takes most people about 4 to 6 weeks to feel comfortable, and then it's time for surgery .Please do the surgery if offered, as that is the real deal to survival !
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 pm

justin case wrote:
NHMike wrote:
Michael

It seems the radiation is doing it's job ! Perhaps by the time you find a cushion, it may be over with. It usually takes most people about 4 to 6 weeks to feel comfortable, and then it's time for surgery .Please do the surgery if offered, as that is the real deal to survival !
Michael

My surgeon said to schedule an MRI after chemo/radiation and that's what I plan to do. Yes, I lose function but I've seen enough here to just get through it.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 am

Day 14 My pattern changed up a bit... had a dr's appt at Cleveland Clinic at 8:45am and it is just over 1.5 hours away. I had to stop twice to go. Usually I don't need to go in the mornings that much. I was slightly late, but they are cool there. Saw the doc, he said everything looks normal and everything I am going through is normal. Gave me a dr's note to stay out of work for another month, as I don't feel ready yet and thankfully I have the time to use for the rest of this year. The only way I would think it would be feasable would be living on a lot of immodium to control when it would happen and even then I don't think that would work well. For my job I have to go to business client's locations, that could get real embarrassing real fast.

Got a little more adventurous with my diet with no major ill effects. Had nothing for breakfast except a banana. Then ate a grilled turkey and cheese with tomato soup. Then had Cracker Barrel's Wednesday special, broccoli cheeder chikcen with mash potatoes and baby carrots. The afternoon was pretty good and everything was formed that I went. I noice it is started to not hurt as much when I go. I did wake up twice last night to go (stayed up later than usual too) and this morning woke up with it a little unsettled and started to get less formed. The last bout was bigger and slightly less comfortable, but still nothing compared to what it was a week ago. Slowly getting better!
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 am

Day 15 & 16 -- Forgot to post yesterday. My newish pattern of going in the early morning and a lot in the morning seems to be sticking around. Long term, I think that will be more convenienct. Both days have been quite good. I still use a lot of effort to go pretty small amounts. Yesterday was one of my best days yet. The morning had several smaller passings, but in the evening I went less and larger stools. The only time I have any sense of urgency now is when I eat. A few minutes later I have to go quickly.

The only big negative I have had is I wake up around 4:30am and need to go and can't fall back asleep. (I normally get up around 5:30).

In either care, HUGE improvements. Good enough that I felt good enough to go to the store that was 20mins away.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”