Feet swelling up??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ebv60

Feet swelling up??

Postby ebv60 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 pm

My wife feet are swelling up ,first time for this in her 5 year battle with cancer. Had an ultra sound done on Friday see if she had blockage in her legs...the ultra sound can back ok .
Has anyone else had swelling in the feet???? she has been off chemo for about 5 weeks now but she been a lot of different Meds/Chemo over the last 5 years and has Not had swelling in the feet during chemo treatment.

As you can see by she signature ,tumors in the liver and lung . last appointment Dr. said he doesn't have anything more to offer her in treatment( tumors are still growing)... Dr. checking in to Trials for her ..see the Dr. Tue to see what he has found

Thanks
to DW 6/12 stage 4
6/12 colon resection, liver Mets
Folfox & Folfiri till 4/13
liver resection Mayo 5/13 Clear margins
mop up chemo
NED till 9/14
cancer complete hysterectomy,
CEA climbing 12/14
1/15 scans, tumors return
1/15 Mayo for surgery; need shrinkage before surgery
Folfiri w Erbitux
break over Christmas, rash from Erbitux
1/16 scan tumors growing, liver, lungs, lymph nodes involvement
Folfiri w Avastin 1/16
Stivarga 6/16
lonsurf 1/17
Scan 6/17 tumors growing.
At peace 7/17

MissMolly

Re: Feet swelling up??

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Ebv60:
As your wife has had a vascular ultrasound study that has ruled out a blood clot or obstruction of a vein or artery, another possibility for dependent edema would be lymphatic congestion.

The lymphatic system has an extensive network of vascularization similar to that of the vessels and vascularization of the blood system. Lymph nodes serve as filters along the extensive highway system of lymphatic vessels. The lymph system's role is to recycle and recirculate interstitial fluids within the body.

It seems reasonable to suspect that your wife is experiencing lymph node congestion or lymph vessel infiltration due to her advanced cancer. That is, the lymph fluid in your wife's body is not flowing freely, the recirculating process has gone awry. The result would be excessive fluid retention and dependent edema.

Lymph edema is the terminology generally applied. You can Google the phrase lymph edema to get a more detailed explanation to see if it fits or is parallel with your wife's symptoms.

I am sorry that the both of you are having to face a new challenge,
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

ebv60

Re: Feet swelling up??

Postby ebv60 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks on the information Missmolly

Update: when to ER about the swelling in the feet, she was admitted..she very low oxygen level ,and the swelling of feet ..drained 1800ml of fluid from her one lung , put her also on Lasix for the feet ..she doing a lot better now
to DW 6/12 stage 4
6/12 colon resection, liver Mets
Folfox & Folfiri till 4/13
liver resection Mayo 5/13 Clear margins
mop up chemo
NED till 9/14
cancer complete hysterectomy,
CEA climbing 12/14
1/15 scans, tumors return
1/15 Mayo for surgery; need shrinkage before surgery
Folfiri w Erbitux
break over Christmas, rash from Erbitux