Fast growing cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Stewsbetty

Fast growing cancer

Postby Stewsbetty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 am

So everyone talks about the slow growing nature of colon cancer but my body seems to want to disprove that! Finished folfox the middle of February. Had a CT at the end of February which showed a slightly enlarged lymph node (this was enlarged all through treatment with only slight reduction). Dr. sent me for a PET at the end of April. The lymph node lit up. I met with a surgeon at the end of June about removing it. I asked him about doing another ct since I had been having back pain and some abdominal discomfort when under pressure. I had that this week. My GP called me tonight to say that the CT was troublesome. He said it was showing a mass 7x5 cm at the head of the pancreas. This is where the enlarged lymph node was. I am pretty sure the surgeon said on the February ct is was 12-13mm. That is a lot of growth in just 4-1/2 months! My oncologist only comes to town once a month so I am not scheduled to see here for another week. the surgeon was planning to take out the enlarged node at the end of august but I am thinking it might be too long to wait! Curious whether he will even want to do surgery now since there might be more affected nodes now.
Anyone else belong to the minority of fast growing cancer?
Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

Steph20021

Re: Fast growing cancer

Postby Steph20021 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 am

Yeah, I've read and it's faster and more aggressive when we are younger because of the rate if our cell division and growth :(
I had an immediate recurrence and spread after surgery and my first 6 months of tx too. I'm still on chemo. I've been on it a year steady next month. I got a break after my Hipec though.
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

stu

Re: Fast growing cancer

Postby stu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am

My mum oddly has had both. Her liver tumours popped up quickly and grew quickly. One recurrence was immediate and sizeable . However it was the speed and rate of cell division that made them disappear just as quickly with chemo . Then quick removal with surgery before they could do any move harm .
However her lung met was so slow . It took two years to get to 7mm and they watched it from 2mm . They only used surgery on that one as the slow growth rate meant chemo would be less effective as the oncologist said chemo works better with faster growing tumours.
Hope they get a plan sorted quickly,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”