Clear colonoscopy but still have blood and mucus in stool

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jlg73

Clear colonoscopy but still have blood and mucus in stool

Postby jlg73 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi all

I want to get some opinions on what folks think I should do with my current colon situation .

Last year I noticed blood when wiping after a bowel movement. I honestly didn't think too much of it because I had a clear colonoscopy in 2011 (pelvic pain). Then over the past few months I noticed blood when wiping. I finally got a freaked out when I noticed mucus and blood on the toilet tissue. That is when I started lokkkng at my stools (before I would just make sure I was clean and never looked at the stool itself ). I got a order for a colonoscopy (didn't see the GI doctor to begin with ) and went in to have the colonoscopy done . I went to a doctor I know nothing about , it was my casual friends friend .

The GI did not do any biopsies and said she didn't see any reason for the bleeding . Nothing going and it may have been a hemroid. I wanted to be happy about it but in my heart I knew something was still off . She had me do three stool test cards and one came back positive for blood . When I did the test card I saw bloody mucus and put it on the card , that's the one that was positive . I'm so upset because I feel like my procedure was rushed and the doctor missed something .

I have two other opinions coming up with other GI clinics . The both know it's a second opinion and one of the clinics is part of the hospital system the blotched GI doctor is associated with , my nursing friend said not to tell them that it is second opinion because they are biased .

First do you think that the first GI doctor could have missed something vital ? Especially since I'm still having symptoms ? And next what do you think of getting the second opinions and if they won't do another colonoscopy ! I mean of course I don't WANT another colonoscopy but feel like it's warranted .

It's hard to know what doctors to go to and trust! One of the second opinion doctors , after getting my record just wants to do a sigmoidoscopy . But when I go in to see him I'm going to ask for another full colonoscopy due to the issue .

By the way I'm 44 and have a poor high fat diet (have been improving it a lot though) and my uncle passed away of colon cancer.

Lee

Re: Clear colonoscopy but still have blood and mucus in stool

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi and welcome,

Boy that is a hard one. Yes I guess it could be possible that the GI doc could miss something butt that tends to be very rare. By missing something, I mean a small or flat polyp. Hard to believe GI doc could miss a cancerous polyp or mass. Sometimes things can be missed because patient was not totally cleaned out. Butt it is odd GI doc could not find the cause for bleeding.

Some of the questions you are asking, I believe only an MD can truly answer, and I am not an MD. Do get a 2nd opinion, and let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jlg73

Postby jlg73 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:59 am

Thank you, I will let you all know !

It's hard to decide who to go to for a second opinion that is good and unbiased .

God bless each of you.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 pm

If you have a primary Dr. Start with that person, who does s/he recommend. Look up local GI doc and see if you can find ratings on these Dr.(s) via the internet. Check with friends, can they recommend someone. The GI who did your scope, see if you can find anything about her on the internet.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jlg73

Postby jlg73 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 pm

I do have a primary care doctor who made me a referral . My problem is that I now live two hours away from him. That's why I went to the other doctor near my home who wasn't that good. I look up online reviews but realize those can be biased. The new physician I'm going to go see (that my family doctor recommends ) just wanted to do a sigmoidoscopy , based on the records that were sent. But I made an appointment to sit down and go through everything and ask for a repeat colonoscopy . I pray he agrees to it to make sure nothing was missed . It wouldn't bother me if I weren't still having symptoms with no answers.

Thank you again Lee and everyone for their insight .

bminaz

Postby bminaz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 am

I can't tell from your note, did you have a recent colonoscopy or not? You said you got an order for a colonoscopy, but it doesn't sound like the GI doctor did one. If not, and if I were you, I would push for a colonoscopy. It's been 6 years since you had one (2011), so it's not like you had a clear colonoscopy recently unless I'm misunderstanding your post, and I know several people that have been diagnosed in their 40s with colon cancer...including myself.
I personally don't see the point in sigmoidoscopy. If someone is checking my colon, I want them to check all of it. I had mucous and blood and hemorrhoids early on. Even as my symptoms worsened over time, I never felt bad and my blood work all looked good even when I was at the point that I was passing a lot of blood. They did a colonoscopy thinking it was likely I had colitis, but found I had cancer.
I was very lucky, the cancer was caught early and I only needed surgery, no chemo or radiation.

Clearly, this is concerning to you and you won't be at rest until you have been thoroughly checked. It also doesn't seem like the GI person really checked much.
Get another opinion. Get a colonoscopy and get some peace of mind.
Brandy
46 yrs old @ dx
Colonoscopy for bleeding 7/25/11
Dx colon cancer 7/25/11
Sigmoid colon surgery 8/31/11
T2/N0/M0 0/10 nodes
Stage 1
Husband and 5 children
NED 6 years and counting

jlg73

Postby jlg73 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you for your reply, I am glad you are doing well now. I did have a colonoscopy this year in May; however nothing was found. But I still am having blood and mucus, that's why I think the doc missed something. I am getting a second opinion next week. Praying they are willing to do a repeat procedure.

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 am

I know this post is a little old, but i had the exact same symptoms as you havde/had. hopefully you have already figured out hvad was wrong and that i was not anything serious !

I had blod and mucus on my stools, my doctor sent me in for a sigmoidoscopy summer 2016, the doc was old and the clinic seemed a bit outdated. But I had really been looking at all the Colon docktors in Copenhagen ( Denmark ) and he seemed like the most experienced. When he saw me he said "I can tell right here, right now that there is nothing wrong with you because you are only 24". He did the sigmoidoscopy and said there was nothing to see at all. But bloody stool continued, i thought i was really weird, after 3 months i went back to my doctor, he said i must surly be hemorrhoids ! i got some medicin to try out, did not work so i went back again and got some more medicin. after nearly a year my doc sent me in for a new sigmoidoscopy where they found i 15mm Adenoma Polyp in the beginning of my sigmoid. No cancer ! but it was not that pretty looking after all that time.

Short point of a long story, Doc can miss a polyp !
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm glad you're getting a second opinion and hope you will be able to get another colonoscopy!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”