How to get a doctor to chastise another doctor

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
.jim.

How to get a doctor to chastise another doctor

Postby .jim. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 pm

I am having an issue with an oncologist who is violating state law.

Because doctors... the enforcement committee is the state medical board, which consists of doctors who are loathe to indict one of their own.

Does anyone have any thoughts ore links to web sites and/or resources?

I live in Nevada. In las vegas, there was an endoscopy center that reused needles and drug vials between patients which resulted in a lot of people (100s) getting hepatitis. (google dipak desai)

Most of the doctors got a handshake (usually reported as 'a slap on the wrist') and are still working their magic in Las Vegas.

My problem is very small in comparison, so I am really not expecting the board to do anything except say 'we will look into it' and then not look into it.

But for my own sanity's sake, I would like the doctor to squirm a bit and at least be inconvenienced.
husband to DW stage IV MSS KRAS-wt BRAF-wt
12-2014 colon resection 2/14 lymph nodes positive
1-2015 cat scan shows liver mets
2-2015 folfox+vectibix
6-2015 remission
11-2015 recurrence to liver
12-2015 switched to folfiri+avastin
5-2016 cea rising, so y90-spheres
7-2016 second half of liver gets y90-spheres
10-2016 cat scan shows liver mets progressing
12-2016 pet scan shows activity in liver and new mets in lungs
1-2017 cea rising; chemo folifiri-avastin stopped
2-2017 DEBIRI TACE and started lonsurf

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: How to get a doctor to chastise another doctor

Postby Bev G » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:02 pm

You do not ssay that you contracted hepatitis as a result of care you received at this clinic. If you didn't you have no grounds to sue. What are your damages? You have to have damages to sue.

Best wishes.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

WarriorSpouse

Postby WarriorSpouse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm

https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInves ... 123034.htm

Any criminal allegations related to violations of the U.S. Food Drug and Cosmetic Act can be referred to your local FDA Office of Criminal Investigations. Attached is their telephone directory.
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

.jim.

Postby .jim. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 pm

I was posting the story about the hepatitis problem as evidence of southern Nevada's (perhaps everywhere) behavior of doctors being loathe to chastise doctors.

Kiind of like police not ticketing off-duty police for traffic infractions (or worse), or trying to find a lawyer to sue a lawyer.

My problem is very small potatoes. In Nevada, a doctor has 48 hours to sign off on a death certificate; after 48 hours a funeral home can request the doctor's medical director to provide a signature. If the medical director fails for 48 hours then the funeral home can request the coroner's office do the paperwork. In my case, the doctor took 9 days to sign, so technically he's in violation of Nevada law. No cremation/burial can take place until the doc signs. We had people fly in from overseas intending to take remains home. They flew home empty-handed (after waiting 2 weeks).

After one's loved one has passed due to this disease, and then have the doc (illegally) fritter about and not do a (probably) 15 minute online submission... I was just looking for the right words to use when complaining to the medical board.
husband to DW stage IV MSS KRAS-wt BRAF-wt
12-2014 colon resection 2/14 lymph nodes positive
1-2015 cat scan shows liver mets
2-2015 folfox+vectibix
6-2015 remission
11-2015 recurrence to liver
12-2015 switched to folfiri+avastin
5-2016 cea rising, so y90-spheres
7-2016 second half of liver gets y90-spheres
10-2016 cat scan shows liver mets progressing
12-2016 pet scan shows activity in liver and new mets in lungs
1-2017 cea rising; chemo folifiri-avastin stopped
2-2017 DEBIRI TACE and started lonsurf

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Jim:
I hear you loud and clear and I hear your grievance with the physician who was over seeing your relative's end of life care in his neglect of timeliness in signing the death certificate - that had consequences with plans for final disposition and substantial inconvenience of overseas family/relatives.

There is no need to rate your grievenace as more or less imperative than someone else. There is no contest for who has it worst. Your situation is valid and concerning in its own right.

I had grievance with the hospice care that my father received in the final days preceding his passing. Hospice lacked in providing adequate liquid morphine and liquid Ativan - the pharmacy failed to make a scheduled delivery. My father's situation grew dire within the span of a few hours and there was inadequate medication to ease his suffering. I think back to the cascade of events and feel viscerally ill.

I wrote a strong letter to the hospice provider and to the state licensing board - and got a modicum of a reply. The level of indifference was appalling.

Submit your letter with full force. But do not be surprised if you receive a weak reply. Once my father had passed away, there was a palpable lack of interest by overseeing agencies to investigate or act on reported lapses in his care.

I take comfort knowing that I took battle with the state regulatory agencies trying to find justice for my father and hoping that no one else would have to endure such a horrific ending. At least I tried.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 am

.jim. wrote: In Nevada, a doctor has 48 hours to sign off on a death certificate; after 48 hours a funeral home can request the doctor's medical director to provide a signature. If the medical director fails for 48 hours then the funeral home can request the coroner's office do the paperwork. In my case, the doctor took 9 days to sign, so technically he's in violation of Nevada law. No cremation/burial can take place until the doc signs. We had people fly in from overseas intending to take remains home. They flew home empty-handed (after waiting 2 weeks).

Yeah that's negligence, and maybe a tortious breach of his duty of care too. I'm Canadian and don't know your US Negligence Act equivalent but I'm guessing it's similar, and, if that happened to me here and I had paid for that plane ticket and returned with no remains and didn't get to attend the memorial etc. I'd try small claims court and be representing myself. Its a court designed for laypeople here (lots of instructions and easy forms and guides online) for all claims up to $25k. Sure it's grief and work and hassle to sue, but I like to make a point :)

Great response from MissMolly above!
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”