Thin stool, scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Aphoxe

Thin stool, scared

Postby Aphoxe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 pm

I am a 17 year old male, turning 18 next month. I have always held my stools as a child, I don't really know why, just have. This has led to serious constipatition that I have never really done anything about until about a month ago now when I had blood in my stool after I passed a very large stool. My Doctor also says that this has led to an enlargening of my Bowel as well. He recommended me to take Miralax so I do and was fine the first week. Now I feel terrible, headaches every day, weird spasms in my left side, gas, and the scariest was thin stools. When the stools are thin they tend to be very mushy and stuff and are about 1.25x the size of my middle finger, width and length, and there are lots of them when I go. I had these about a week ago, they went away after 2 days and stools were normal. I had diarreha last Sunday and they were normal throughout the week until this weekend when they started becoming thin and mushy again. I'm pretty scared since I have read that these can be a sign of Colon Cancer. I'm going back to doctor tomorrow to discuss these things but what should I do??

WarriorSpouse

Re: Thin stool, scared

Postby WarriorSpouse » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 am

There are many of potential reasons for how you are feeling beyond the possibility of cancer. Trust that your doctor will conduct all of the appropriate checks needed to properly diagnose you. If you have CRC in your family history, by all means let them know this.

At your young age it could be just other GI issues that can be resolved once correctly identified. Trust the tests and doctors and get a second opinion if needed.

Well wishes and progress forward.
WS
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

benben

Re: Thin stool, scared

Postby benben » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am

Aphoxe wrote:I am a 17 year old male, turning 18 next month. I have always held my stools as a child, I don't really know why, just have. This has led to serious constipatition that I have never really done anything about until about a month ago now when I had blood in my stool after I passed a very large stool. My Doctor also says that this has led to an enlargening of my Bowel as well. He recommended me to take Miralax so I do and was fine the first week. Now I feel terrible, headaches every day, weird spasms in my left side, gas, and the scariest was thin stools. When the stools are thin they tend to be very mushy and stuff and are about 1.25x the size of my middle finger, width and length, and there are lots of them when I go. I had these about a week ago, they went away after 2 days and stools were normal. I had diarreha last Sunday and they were normal throughout the week until this weekend when they started becoming thin and mushy again. I'm pretty scared since I have read that these can be a sign of Colon Cancer. I'm going back to doctor tomorrow to discuss these things but what should I do??

Most likely the Miralax causing the thin mushy stool. Pretty much what it does, so that you don't become constipated.
But definitely follow up with your doctors. If you continue to see any blood I'd talk with them about getting scoped.
Most likely it's not cancer, but there are other things such as diverticulitis that could cause similar issues. May just
be as simple as establishing a daily routine for bowel movement and dietary uptake of fiber.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”