Very anxious about waiting for doctor appointment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cramerb535

Very anxious about waiting for doctor appointment

Postby Cramerb535 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 pm

I am a 37 year old male with some concerning symptoms of late and not sure what to make of everything. The last few months I have been hypersensitive about my bowel movements and habits. My first concern started a few months back when I had a bowel movement that did not appear totally digested. This started my fears and worry to be honest. Since then I have not had that happen but I do notice the consistency changes from time to time. Usually it's normal or normal for me but sometimes it's a bit looser or very large bowel movements that almost clog the toilet.

I am not sure on the blood part as I don't know why to look for here.. I saw a few red flecks inside the outer layer of my feces on a few occasions but never loose blood or blood on my tissue paper. Never have I seen blood outside the stool. I did purchase an OTC fecal blood test and it was negative but I am worried because now I think I didn't follow instructions and test back to back 3 times. I did the first two but the other 3 remaining tests were sporadic. All negative but may not matter if not tested correctly? What would I be looking for as fan as blood in my stool?

The other concern and may not be related is that my left side cramps and there is a dull pain when I wake up. I do sleep on that side and travel a lot so I sleep in different beds every week. Not sure if this would be connected or not although this pain has been going on for almost 6 months and really since switch beds.

No history in my family although my dad had polyps removed as precaution once. I asked for colonoscopy recommendations based on this and doctor still says 50. Also no fatigue or weight loss. I have actually gained a bit lately due to poor eating habits.

Off to see doc in a few weeks but the anxiety is killing me. I read stories about folks that waited too long or should have noticed something sooner. Not sure what else to do between now and then. And of course all day today my abdomen has been hurting when I have been thinking about this stuff.

Stewsbetty

Re: Very anxious about waiting for doctor appointment

Postby Stewsbetty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 am

So I think with the blood in the stool is that it gives the stool a darker colour. I was asked a lot if my stool was black or tarry looking. Since I was on iron supplements it was and I didn't notice before that. I was anemic before any abdominal pain began. No pain until 2 months before diagnosis and then it was very severe - wake you up at night and start pacing - pain. From what I understand most people's CRC is slow growing and waiting a couple weeks won't be the cause of anything. I did gain weight prior to diagnosis. I think in part due to the fatigue. Eating junk to get more energy and not enough energy to exercise. I am glad that you are staying on top of things but try not to worry too much as that can lead to other issues.
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 am

Blood in the stool is always concerning, whether bright red or making your stool black and tarry. Bright red means lower in the digestive system, black and tarry means further up in the digestive system. NEVER dismiss blood in the stool because it's bright red.

Cramerb, there are many things that could be going on, though, so it's not automatically cancer when you have bowel issues/abdominal pain, but the only way to know is to get checked out. You are doing the right thing by going to the doctor.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

wrichards2367

Postby wrichards2367 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 am

I hope the doctor you plan to see is a Gastroenterologist. Get a colonoscopy! It may show nothing but that will turn off a lot of stress and concern. Not knowing what's going on is stressful. Bright red blood can easily come from a small hemorrhoid which is aggravated by wiping, since you travel a lot you'll notice that motels use the cheapest toilet paper possible. Try carrying a small pack of flush-able wipes and keep a record of what you recently ate when you have a movement of extremely different consistency. I have had colorectal cancer and experienced no pain prior to it's discovery by colonoscopy. Your pain is most likely gas in the descending colon which forms while you sleep, if it moves or goes away when you get up and walk around, gas would explain it. Get your discomfort checked out but don't spend your waking moments imagining all the horrible things that might be wrong! 99% of the time a headache is just a headache, not a brain tumor..

Cramerb535

Postby Cramerb535 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 pm

wrichards2367 wrote:I hope the doctor you plan to see is a Gastroenterologist. Get a colonoscopy! It may show nothing but that will turn off a lot of stress and concern. Not knowing what's going on is stressful. Bright red blood can easily come from a small hemorrhoid which is aggravated by wiping, since you travel a lot you'll notice that motels use the cheapest toilet paper possible. Try carrying a small pack of flush-able wipes and keep a record of what you recently ate when you have a movement of extremely different consistency. I have had colorectal cancer and experienced no pain prior to it's discovery by colonoscopy. Your pain is most likely gas in the descending colon which forms while you sleep, if it moves or goes away when you get up and walk around, gas would explain it. Get your discomfort checked out but don't spend your waking moments imagining all the horrible things that might be wrong! 99% of the time a headache is just a headache, not a brain tumor..

That's just the thing I have never had blood on my TP or in the water ever. I have seen flecks of red in side my stool but not sure if blood or food. Not sure if this could explain symptoms but I suffer from chronic prostatitis and my cramping, especially today is in the pubic region and especially after I pee. Wondering if it is once again swollen as it has so many times in the past. The other thing that baffles me is my norm for bowel movements is every other day but sometimes I will go two without. When I do go it is a lot but no issues passing for the most part unless it's really hard. I know I don't intake much fiber and don't drink hardly any water so I wonder what that could be doing to my digestive system. Ugh so confused and worried

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:59 pm

I hope you get answers from the doctor!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Cramerb535 wrote:
That's just the thing I have never had blood on my TP or in the water ever. I have seen flecks of red in side my stool but not sure if blood or food. Not sure if this could explain symptoms but I suffer from chronic prostatitis and my cramping, especially today is in the pubic region and especially after I pee. Wondering if it is once again swollen as it has so many times in the past. The other thing that baffles me is my norm for bowel movements is every other day but sometimes I will go two without. When I do go it is a lot but no issues passing for the most part unless it's really hard. I know I don't intake much fiber and don't drink hardly any water so I wonder what that could be doing to my digestive system. Ugh so confused and worried

Could the flecks of red be something like tomato skin. We don't always process all the food we eat. Sometimes some food will pass through. The fact that you have a BM ever other day or 2 is okay. That is your norm. Some food (like cheese with me) will hold me up too.

Red blood on the stools will look like blood. I had bleeding hemorrhoids and would see blood, no mistaking it. Blood further up in your track will produce very dark stools.

You might want to drink more water on a daily bases and see if that helps. At least something to try until you see a Dr. Keep a diary of what you eat & maybe see a connection to what you eat and how it effects your body. You might find the answers you seek.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”