How to fight fatigue caused by Xeloda?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ratepo

How to fight fatigue caused by Xeloda?

Postby Ratepo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 am

Hi all,

I've read 2 tips while being on Xeloda: keep hydrated and keep moving (sports, walking etc.) whenever possible. Does anybody have other useful things to consider? A magic pill which gives an immediate energy boost would be nice, but that will be a bit too much to ask.

My father is on chemo for life now and although he had Xeloda in the past as well it strikes him harder now. Actually he doesn't experience symptoms of growing cancer at all at the moment, but cause of rising CEA and more activity on scans we decided to restart now. However now he might give it up because if affects quality of life too much.

Perhaps he should lower the dose or the fatigue will decrease however I am afraid it will only build up. He just finished his first cycle (1 infusion Avastin, 2 weeks Xeloda, 1 week off).
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

BrownBagger

Re: How to fight fatigue caused by Xeloda?

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 am

I found that once I broke through the "I don't want to do this" barrier that all exercisers feel at first, I had plenty of energy on Xeloda and was able to carry on with an active life. 136 rounds later, I'm still on my feet, but obviously, less blessed with energy. But I do what I can. Just a walk around the block every day should be helpful. Keeps the blood flowing and fresh oxygen in the lungs.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Re: How to fight fatigue caused by Xeloda?

Postby juliej » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I found that once I broke through the "I don't want to do this" barrier that all exercisers feel at first, I had plenty of energy on Xeloda and was able to carry on with an active life. 136 rounds later, I'm still on my feet, but obviously, less blessed with energy. But I do what I can. Just a walk around the block every day should be helpful. Keeps the blood flowing and fresh oxygen in the lungs.

I agree with Eric on "breaking the reluctance to exercise" barrier. Exercise not only helped my fatigue but it also reduced my nausea which greatly increased my appetite. At least part of my fatigue was from not eating and after a little exercise, I found I was actually hungry instead of nauseous. Another thing that helped was sipping electrolyte drinks instead of just plain water. I used Nuun tablets but any electrolyte drink would work. It puts back in what chemo wipes out.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”