Still Not 100% sure

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Smiggs

Still Not 100% sure

Postby Smiggs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi All,

Just a update on my mum and wondering if anyone can give me a little insite of anything simalier

Mum had a massive tumour removed in nov 15 and then 6 more months of chemo after the 1st 6 weeks before her op..

Come october 16 she had a deep scan this showed 2 small tumours on her pelvis lining we was told she was incureable and inoperable

Mum started chemo 23rd December shes only had 5 rounds of chemo due to her having a cold then a skin infection, she has been on cannabis oil (the proper stuff) 4 small doses a day also vitiaims D/C altho the doctor said it wouldnt help her.

she had a scan and we got the results Weds one tumour has gone from 2.6cm to 1.2cm and another from 1.7mm to 0.7mm i did ask what would happen if the next scan showed that the tumours had gone and he said that she still wouldnt be cured, so am i thinking if she stops the chemo it will always come back or are they just being safe and saying all the above

Sorry for the spelling mistakes and if this doesnt understand

thanks x

Lee

Re: Still Not 100% sure

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Your english is good.

Not sure where you are, but if possible, get a 2nd opinion at a major cancer treatment center. I believe the right hospital could treat her into remission.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

PainInTheAss

Re: Still Not 100% sure

Postby PainInTheAss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:14 am

Bear in mind that they are making predictions based on general experiences. They can't possibly know exactly what will happen with your mom. They are only guessing.

The fact that there are two tumors in the pelvis may mean that the cancer has "learned" how to travel. Being only in the pelvis, it hasn't traveled very far. It's still possible that the chemo will wipe out the tumors and none will ever appear again. They are saying she will not be cured because there is also a possibility new tumors will appear in other areas of her body even if these shrink to nothing. But they don't know with absolute certainty.

I would also agree you should look into a second opinion. I'm not sure why they are not offering Gamma Knife as an option.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”