Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mojo

Re: Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Postby Mojo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Pantufla, yes he did. It was 8 years later. We did not know that colon cancer was common at on his mother side. Yes his mother and father had divorced and he stayed with his father at a young age. Had we known maybe we could've looked for it more but as it was it was just one small isolated incident where he had a very small amount of blood and I got him right into the Doctor Who thought it was nothing, it was a general practitioner I insisted on seeing gastroenterologist and within three weeks we were in with the colonoscopy found out he had cancer in 10 days later he had surgery. So I kind of feel lucky that we had eight years more with the amount of cancer Was in his mother's family. This gastroenterologist was quite surprised that it came back so late and like it did. But there's a lot of people with stage III that do not have a come back ,so were putting your husband in that group. My thoughts are with you.
colon cancer stage 3 2n0mets 2002
cancer returns march 2010
emerg brain surgery, chemo may 2010 sterotactic radiation april 2010

progression of tumors march 2011 new chemo camptosar leukovorin 5fu avastin
Kenny age 58/died 11/21/11

LPL

Postby LPL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Mojo & BS,
Thank You booth for your kind words. Yes this thread and all other info in this Club, has been and is, a blessing for me!

Pantufla,

I totally understand.
"Emotionally wiped out" as you describe it - for me that feeling came on The Very 1st chaotic start day of this journey.
Just a few words to describe that:
We had just retired and we finally had the time to get the puppy-dog we had wanted to have for years. Then DH got his 1st ever CC symptom, a few days later at the Hospital a CT-Scan said it was a tumor causing a total block. That became an emergency surgery, Colostomy. Some hours after DH's emergency surgery I got a phone call informing me that my Very Dear Friend, my true 'Soul-Sister', had passed away from cancer, not CRC. (Oh I miss her So Much!!!). This all became too much sadness at once for my brain to take in... I just screamed & cried out loud :cry: I was 'alone' in my house. Totally 'forgot' the little dog was also there and heard me. That poor puppy got very scared and he threw up multiple times. I didn't understand that/how dogs can feel 'what we feel'(!) and I thought: Please No! .. Is he sick too? do I need to take him also to the doctor? (Thankfully our poppy got better all by himself. This puppy has since this happened been such a wonderful 'Happy Pill' :D for both DH and me during this time of worried waiting, multiple surgeries & treatments.)
Later, in this "Wife..." thread, I found THE words that exactly described how I felt at that chaotic 1st day, it felt like I am "living in Surreality"! It is my reality and it is surreal!

And yes Pantufla just like you I worry about symptoms.
One day DH said: " Goodbye" instead of Good Night, another day he said: "Good Night" instead of Thanks for dinner.. So I thought 'chemo brain'? or?..
Another thing was after DH had his 2nd surgery I suddenly saw that his 'behind' (buttocks) was like a big blueish bruise mark.. Did No one at the hospital look there? What was that? Told hubby to ask!! He forgot to ask the doctor but asked a nurse who said: "Probably a skin reaction due to strong (low pH?) BM" ... I said to hubby, No!! Sigh! it is not On the skin it is Under!! Later when we got home and DH suddenly got a big bruise on the back of his hand I thought maybe it is the Lovenox? (I was instructed to give him a shut of that once a day for a month after surgery). Wrote to surgeon but no reply, it was obviously not a worry?!
Because this blueish 'behind' sort of reappeared later, before and after surgery NR3 I sent a picture to an on line doctor site. (https://www.firstderm.com) The reply was: " Based on the information and images submitted, this is possibly SUBCUTANEOUS BLEEDINGS and a consequence of your husband’s bed rest or a side effect of the treatments in connection with the operations. It is a kind of discoloration of the skin due to bleeding from small or greater blood vessels in the skin. Blood outside the vessels usually breaks down and changes color over some days or a few weeks from purple, orange, brown and even blue and green.
Most times this is a complete harmless affliction and you only observe the rash fade away through the changes of color and normally topical treatment is unnecessary. ".
OK - so now I don't worry about that anymore :)
Yeah.. :wink: you see I freak out at symptoms, I really feel a need to understand!!

Pantufla, I hope you will get an answer to your husband swelling! I for sure would want to know why that happens if I were you.

Best of Luck to You & Your hubby with tests & getting answers.
Kind Regards /LPL
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

pantufla
Facebook Username: kelleykulina

Postby pantufla » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:20 pm

WOW LPL. Thanks for sharing all of that. I don't feel so alone now. The UA and chem panel were normal. CEA is only 1.2 . It's still a mystery. Colonoscopy Thursday and CT 10/3. Will update :) Have a great weekend.
DH T2 N1b M0. 3/15 positive nodes.
Stage IIIA moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.
Tumor size 6 cm.
Left hemicolectomy 10/26/15.
FOLFOX 11/30/15 to 5/2/16, full 12 cycles.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.
11/10/17 CT: "Focal opacity along the left lower lung, 7 mm. Two small peripheral opacities along the right lower lobe, 2 to 3 mm. A few small to mildly prominent left-sided central mesenteric nodes, up to 13 mm.
June 2019: NED.
2020: NED 5 years. 4 mm lung nodule on CT

LPL

Postby LPL » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Pantufla,

I have been thinking of you.
Have you gotten any explanation for your DH's "strange swelling in his hands, wrists and feet" ? Did the blood work your onc ordered give any clues?
I hope this symptom has disappeared !

Today I'm writing to wish you luck with the CT next week.
I hope you will get good news !

This waiting for tests and for test results can be such a stress... Right now I'm waiting for the result of the pathology report from my DH's latest surgery (removing the liver mets). Checking the mailbox every day and can't really relax until I see it. We have the Surgeon's report and it says R0 which I believe is good - but did the 4 folfox treatment before surgery do anything(?) to the mets? The CT (after these 4 Folfox), 3 weeks before surgery said: "no change in size" but I've read that when the pathologists do 'their thing' it might reveal that the cancer cells have been effected by the chemo. That is what I'm so much hoping to see. If so that would make it easier for hubby to endure the side effects of the to follow 8 more Folfox treatments, I mean if he got confirmation that it IS effective on his kind of tumor.

Pantufla, when I replied to you before I did not comment on your words: "there's this phenomenon where I don't want to get too close to him or feel too much for him out of fear of it coming back. Do I need to prepare for that? Do I need to keep up a wall to protect myself?"
My reply is: NO do not do that !! Stand beside him (on the same side of the wall) and 'fight' together. Use your strength to read and 'research' and get informed so that you can be convinced he is getting the best care/treatment there is. That is what I try to do and it makes sense to me. I can not take 50% of his suffering with surgeries and treatment but trying to help with other things makes me feel that I'm part of this 'fight'. Sorry to use the word 'fight' .. my English is not good enough to find a better word and I know/I've seen people say they dislike that word.

All for now - Hugs to You
/LPL
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:22 pm

pantufla wrote:WOW LPL. Thanks for sharing all of that. I don't feel so alone now. The UA and chem panel were normal. CEA is only 1.2 . It's still a mystery. Colonoscopy Thursday and CT 10/3. Will update :) Have a great weekend.

What should CEA be for a person with stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to the liver? What is a dangerous level? My "cancer buddy"'s wife had a CEA that went way up suddenly. What does that mean?

I will ask my husband's onc to provide me with a history is his reading on this.

Thanks!

:( :?:
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

LPL

Postby LPL » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:56 pm

ronswife wrote:
" What should CEA be for a person with stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to the liver? What is a dangerous level? My "cancer buddy"'s wife had a CEA that went way up suddenly. What does that mean? "

If it can help you, I can share some of what I have read.

I understand, getting a CEA test result outside the performing Lab's reference Value is causing concern. But maybe the elevated CEA can be due to other causes then cancer activity?
A member here shared this link
False Positives and False Negatives
in Tumor Marker Blood Tests

http://www.kantrowitz.com/cancerpoints/ ... tives.html

I didn't think that CEA was specific for the site of recurrence/mets - You asked about "spread to liver" - but when I searched to find info I found this:
" Specificity and sensitivity in detecting disease recurrence depends largely on the definition of abnormal CEA levels (cutoff CEA). The higher the cutoff for abnormal CEA levels, the higher the specificity and the lower the sensitivity.[20,21] Using a CEA cutoff of 5 ng/mL, Moertel and colleagues reported a sensitivity of 34%, specificity of 84%, and median lead time of 4.5 months from detection of clinical recurrence.[22] Interestingly, the sensitivity of CEA depends on the site of recurrence, with sensitivities exceeding 70% for liver and retroperitoneal metastases and lower than 50% for lung, peritoneal, and locoregional recurrences.[22] Solitary lung recurrence was detectable by CEA in only 15% of instances.[22]"
http://www.cancernetwork.com/oncology-j ... tal-cancer

So according to that article it sounds like CEA can be a good marker for "spread to/activity in liver". Even if that was not the case for my hubby (his CEA was within normal range and he had mets in the liver). For some people it 'looks' like CEA is not a sensitive marker for them. I have seen other members talking about that too.

But - As I understand it, it is important to know when the marker test(s) are done. I have read about that in this article:

How/why CEA can react (go up) during chemo
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 722&page=3

Sorry if this was not the info you wanted. I'm not a health professional, just sharing what I have read. I hope your "cancer buddy's wife" will not get bad news regarding that elevated CEA ! Please let us know.

Kind Regards /LPL
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Just stopping by to say hello to all. Mojo

LPL

Postby LPL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello Mojo,

The caregiver (me) in my family have been a caretaker after a car accident Oct 12 2016.
It happened when hubby & I had just started a 'batteri charging' vacation after hubby had recovered after his 3rd surgery (resection of the liver mets) and before starting chemo again. I ended up in a wheelchair with no use of my right side (fractured sholder, wrist and knee).
Since this accident Hubby has been my caregiver and he has had the 8 after surgery chemo, the #12 chemo was last week. Next appointment is his follow up CT at the end of March.
These latest month has been a difficult and surreal experience for us both. Our wonderful neighbors have helped us, we are so grateful for that. I can now walk with a cane and I know I should Not complain !!! but it feels like it takes 'for ever' to get back strength in my body.

I hope all is fine with you
and others posting in this thread.
Kind Regards /LPL
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:41 pm

LPL wrote:Hello Mojo,

The caregiver (me) in my family have been a caretaker after a car accident Oct 12 2016.
It happened when hubby & I had just started a 'batteri charging' vacation after hubby had recovered after his 3rd surgery (resection of the liver mets) and before starting chemo again. I ended up in a wheelchair with no use of my right side (fractured sholder, wrist and knee).
Since this accident Hubby has been my caregiver and he has had the 8 after surgery chemo, the #12 chemo was last week. Next appointment is his follow up CT at the end of March.
These latest month has been a difficult and surreal experience for us both. Our wonderful neighbors have helped us, we are so grateful for that. I can now walk with a cane and I know I should Not complain !!! but it feels like it takes 'for ever' to get back strength in my body.

I hope all is fine with you
and others posting in this thread.
Kind Regards /LPL

SO sorry about all of this LPL! Once you are older, it DOES take a long time to heal. So glad you are on the mend at last, and you were able to get through this very difficult time!

:)
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Lpl, I am so sorry about your accident! It's lovely that your husband and the neighbors could help you. love does go around in circles sometimes doesn't it. Glad things are looking better for you and I hope your hubby is doing well too. Hoping everyone is doing well and staying warm. Big hugs, mojo

LPL

Postby LPL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm

ronswife & Mojo,
Thank You both for kind words :)
We are staying warm & taking it a day at a time.

ronswife,
I am So Sad & shocked seing in your signature that your Dear husband has passed :cry:
It was less then a year from diagnos? How are you? Sending Warm Hugs to you !
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

inorganic8

Postby inorganic8 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi,

This is my first post here. My husband was diagnosed with stage IV CRC at the end of January. He has mets to the peritoneum wall, the omentum, and maybe the liver. The liver mets seem to be on the surface and may actually be on the peritoneum and just crushed up against the liver. He has started Folfirinox and has had two treatments. He has tolerated them reasonably well. He is being treated at the Moffitt Cancer Center. We have seen two doctors there, one oncologist and one surgeon. His cancer is currently inoperable. The oncologist wrote him off at our first consultation and said the best we could expect with the chemo was 2 to 3 years. The surgeon is more optimistic.

My husband is 42 years old. Other than this cancer thing, he's very healthy. Great blood work, some extra weight, gets a decent amount of exercise. There's hope, right? Will these black balls of anxiety in our stomachs ever let up?

One day at a time... one day at a time... one day at a time...
Wife to DH with CRC
Stage IV Diagnosis 1/27/17, Mets to Liver, Omentum, Peri
KRAS Mutation, G12, MSS
Folfirinox 2/8/17
Folfiri 6/14/17
Nov. scan - disease progression
1/24/18 15-hour HIPEC surgery.
June 2018 It's back, starting Stivarga
Aug. 2018 stopping Stivarga
Sep. 2018 clinical trial of Keytruda and ibrutanib
Dec. 2018 disease progression, stopped trial
Jan. 2019 small bowel obstruction and surgery
Mar. 2019 clinical trial TAK-164
May 2019 deteriorating rapidly
June 12, 2019 At Peace

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi inorganic, sorry to hear the news about your husband's cancer. I remember those black balls of anxiety. For me it seemed to ease up a little bit as he went into treatment but then every time we had a pet scan CAT scan anxiety would return. My husband went on antianxiety medication helped quite a bit. I was working and I think working helps me to put things aside for a while. As far as hope I think there's always hope that's what keeps us going. Stage four is a bad diagnosis but there of been plenty of people who've lived quite a while with the stage four, a lot of it depends where the cancer goes to, and what it gets into. We just lived every day and took what came And was happy for that day. My husband had cancer twice the first time was a stage 3, and that was it 2002 and the cancer came back and his brain lungs adrenal gland's etc. in March 2010. At that time he had brain surgery and stereotactic radiation and chemo. He live for 18 months when they gave him three months to a year. We were glad for every moment. Others will come on and talk to you other people that are in the middle of chemotherapy with their husbands or their spouses. Mine passed away five years ago so I am talking from that time. But I always say have hope, hope is what keeps us going. Big hugs, Sharon

LPL

Postby LPL » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 am

Hi inorganic8,

I'm glad you've found Colon Club even though I'm sad that you needed to look for it.

Hearing the word cancer for a spouse/family member, sort of changes 'the world as you knew it' doesn't it?
You describe it so well ! "black balls of anxiety in our stomachs ". " Do they ever let up?"
I agree with Mojo - it changed for the better when Hubby got a treatment plan, and actually for me it 'let up' after the first meeting with the surgeon, specialising in CRC & liver mets. (My husband had 2 surgeries before chemo started due the 1st being an emergency). But my anxiety have grown again when waiting for hubby's tests results and around surgeries.
While reading this thread I have saved quotes that I reread now and then. Looking at them now I realize that many are posted by the member dianeinaz - Thank You Diane! Here is one that so good described my feelings.
" I call it living in surreality.
You know things will never be the same again and that's surreal. But it is also our day-to-day reality.
/dianeinaz"

From the start I have searched information about hubby's diagnos. Wanting to learn all I can about treatments. Being retired I have had the time - maybe it would have been better (for me) if I had been forced to go to work?.. forced to 'take a brake from thinking cancer'.

I can relate to what you wrote about your 2 Doctors - for sure not all Doctors can communicate! Good to hear that your surgeon is more optimistic! Also positive must be that your husband is strong/healthy (apart from the CRC) and is exercising. I believe it is So good/important to be able to exercise during treatments. We have a dog and hubby take long walks with him every day.
Is your surgeon thinking about HIPEC after the Folfirinox? I did not know anything about peritoneum mets, so trying to understand, I read a review and saw intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IPC) and HIPEC mentioned.
I am hoping for Good results for your husband on this chemo so HIPEC becomes an option if that is what your surgeon is planning. Please come back here and share your caregiver feelings.

Kind Regards /Lena (=LPL)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

inorganic8

Postby inorganic8 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 pm

LPL,

HIPEC is a possibility. There is a surgeon at Moffitt who performs the procedure. Not sure how insurance will treat it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Our current surgeon has spoken with the resident HIPEC expert and they have agreed that my husband may be eligible for a tag-team surgery between the two of them. I understand there are risks associated with the procedure and their is some controversy, still, my husband is hoping to eventually pursue this.
Wife to DH with CRC
Stage IV Diagnosis 1/27/17, Mets to Liver, Omentum, Peri
KRAS Mutation, G12, MSS
Folfirinox 2/8/17
Folfiri 6/14/17
Nov. scan - disease progression
1/24/18 15-hour HIPEC surgery.
June 2018 It's back, starting Stivarga
Aug. 2018 stopping Stivarga
Sep. 2018 clinical trial of Keytruda and ibrutanib
Dec. 2018 disease progression, stopped trial
Jan. 2019 small bowel obstruction and surgery