LAR revision

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Joannerogers

LAR revision

Postby Joannerogers » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:04 am

Hello all,

I had my lower anterior resection revision on the 6th of December. Just got the staples out today. I had the revision because of a rectovaginal fistula. I'm a little down in the dumps, one because I worried it might not have worked and I'll possibly have to go through another surgery, and second, if it did work I'll be eligible for my reversal and am scared of that also because I have to work and I'm afraid I might not be able to control my bowels while at work. I don't like my portapotty on my side but I have to say it is very convenient also, and while I'm fairly young I'm not having any skin problems but if I have to keep it forever problems may develop which would then become not so convenient. I know weight gain can cause problems but how about when your skin gets old and wrinkled, does anyone know if wrinkled skin can cause problems also?
53yo married 27 years, 2 children, 24 and 25
Diagnosed april 23,2015 rectosigmoid
Starting CEA 1845
Port placement and liver bx April 27
Folfox started april 29
Avastin added on May 6
Stage IV crc with mets to 50% of liver

10/13/15 dc'd transfusion #12...toxic
Pet/ct scan on 11/3/15
20% liver resected all margins clear 11/30/15
8/18/15 cea 21.
9/15/15 cea 13.9
10/13/15 cea 14.4
1/22/2016 cea 2.5
LAR 02/15/16 all clear

MissMolly

Re: LAR revision

Postby MissMolly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:44 am

I think you can ease your concerns about life, in general, with a long-term ostomy.

There are several individuals on the UOAA form (United Ostomy Association of America) who have had a permanent end-ileostomy for 40+ years. These are individuals who, for example, had Chrons' disease and Ulcerative Colitis as children/teenagers and who had surgery to remove all of their large intestine/anal sphincters. There are several active posters on the UOAA forum who have had ostomies for 40+ years - without significant skin issues or other.

I have had my ileostomy for 5 years. I have a very fair skin complexion. I have also been on long-term corticosteroids (generally damaging to one's skin integrity). I have had no adverse skin issues. None.

I do use a one-piece system, the Coloplast Mio, and change my pouching system daily. I take a "naked shower" every morning and give my paristomal skin time in the open air. It feels great to take a shower and let the paristomal skin breath. The Coloplast Mio has a unique wafer composite that combines both the traditional hydrocolloid matrix with a blend of elastic polymers. The result is a wafer that is thin, pliable, and dynamic. The wafer adheres intimately to the skin surface, minimizing skin trauma seen in rigid wafer systems. All to say: Be mindful in selecting your ostomy products; request samples from different manufacturers in order to find the best/optimal pouching and wafer system for you.

When removing a wafer, push the wafer away from the skin using your fingertips. Do not pull the wafer away from the skin in a lifting up and off slight of hand. Pulling the wafer away from the skin causes micro-trauma to the outermost skin layers. Pushing the wafer away from the skin, using the fingertips to push the wafer from the skin in small increments, is infinitely more skin friendly. The manner of technique does matter when removing an ostomy wafer from the skin.

Use of Cavilon Liquid Skin Protectant (by 3M) is a daily part of my skin routine. A light spritz. Cavailon® is a favored product among most/many ileostomates.

You can live a long life with an ostomy . . . . adverse skin issues are more the exception than the rule.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Doubletrouble

Postby Doubletrouble » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:25 pm

I too am suffering the TRAUMATIC effects of a rectovaginal fistula. Mine is a result of delayed radiation damage. It seems like this is a side effect that is not talked about very much, my Radiation Oncologist never mentioned delayed effects. I'm sure you'll agree it is HORRIBLE! With all the other issues that colon/rectal cancer patients suffer this (for me) has been very difficult. 9 weeks after having a successful ileostomy takedown, the fistula occured. I had repair surgery and a (temp?) Colostomy placed. Completed Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment to help promote healing in damaged tissue. HBO treatment improved tissue, but a small fistula still remains. Will soon have 2nd repair surgery. I am hopefull that this surgery will be the one to correct it. I know in the grand scheme of this journey an ostomy is not the end of the world, but after having the first takedown & some time to enjoy being bag free, I am really anxious to get to that point again. I send well wishes your way, and hope your surgery was successful!!
45 F @ diagnosis 2/2015 stage 3 RC
3/2015 chemo/radiation
6/2015 LAR /Ileostomy
7/2015- 1/2016 Folfox 12 rounds
5/2016 Ileostomy takedown
7/2016 colostomy due to rv Fistula
7/2016 - 3/2017 fistula repairs (3)
11/2017- colostomy takedown

Vern

Postby Vern » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Doubletrouble wrote:I too am suffering the TRAUMATIC effects of a rectovaginal fistula. Mine is a result of delayed radiation damage. It seems like this is a side effect that is not talked about very much, my Radiation Oncologist never mentioned delayed effects. I'm sure you'll agree it is HORRIBLE! With all the other issues that colon/rectal cancer patients suffer this (for me) has been very difficult. 9 weeks after having a successful ileostomy takedown, the fistula occured. I had repair surgery and a (temp?) Colostomy placed. Completed Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment to help promote healing in damaged tissue. HBO treatment improved tissue, but a small fistula still remains. Will soon have 2nd repair surgery. I am hopefull that this surgery will be the one to correct it. I know in the grand scheme of this journey an ostomy is not the end of the world, but after having the first takedown & some time to enjoy being bag free, I am really anxious to get to that point again. I send well wishes your way, and hope your surgery was successful!!

Would love to get in touch and talk about the HBO treatment. I am dealing with exactly the same issue and would love to touch base with someone since as you said there is so little information about this issue. Thanks!

Doubletrouble

Postby Doubletrouble » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Vern,
I am now 1 year out from completing HBO treatment. I went Mon thru Fri for 90 days. I spent about 2 1/2 hours at the treatment center each day. While in the oxygen tank, you cannot have any deodorant, make up, hair spray etc. It was very helpful. 4 months after completing the HBO, I had my third fistula repair surgery (gracilis flap procedure) It was a rough surgery, but worth it as it was successful in correcting the r v fistula.

I have recently had my colostomy reversal, and so far so good! It's been a long road, and I am thankful my doctor recommended the HBO treatment.
45 F @ diagnosis 2/2015 stage 3 RC
3/2015 chemo/radiation
6/2015 LAR /Ileostomy
7/2015- 1/2016 Folfox 12 rounds
5/2016 Ileostomy takedown
7/2016 colostomy due to rv Fistula
7/2016 - 3/2017 fistula repairs (3)
11/2017- colostomy takedown

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”