Diverticulosis on colonoscopy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pantufla
Facebook Username: kelleykulina

Diverticulosis on colonoscopy?

Postby pantufla » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:13 pm

This was not seen on DH's last colonoscopy at the time of diagnosis. Does anyone have any insight on this? Could chemo have caused it? Otherwise, his colonoscopy was normal.
DH T2 N1b M0. 3/15 positive nodes.
Stage IIIA moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.
Tumor size 6 cm.
Left hemicolectomy 10/26/15.
FOLFOX 11/30/15 to 5/2/16, full 12 cycles.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.
11/10/17 CT: "Focal opacity along the left lower lung, 7 mm. Two small peripheral opacities along the right lower lobe, 2 to 3 mm. A few small to mildly prominent left-sided central mesenteric nodes, up to 13 mm.
June 2019: NED.
2020: NED 5 years. 4 mm lung nodule on CT

LPL

Re: Diverticulosis on colonoscopy?

Postby LPL » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Pantufla,

Diverticulosis was noted on a CT-scan my hubby had 4 years before he was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. No doctor cared or mentioned doing anything about it and hubby had no symptoms. That CT-scan was done to check a previous kidney problem. However his cancer tumor developed in that same area... was that a coincidence?
Maybe this article can give some info to you?
http://patients.gi.org/topics/diverticu ... ticulitis/
That article says it is common and is not mentioning that it can be caused by chemo. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply.
Good to hear that apart from this, the colonoscopy was fine :)
Kind Regards /LPL
Last edited by LPL on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

pantufla

Postby pantufla » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank you LPL :)
Tumor size 6 cm.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.
11/10/17 CT: "Focal opacity along the left lower lung, 7 mm. Two small peripheral opacities along the right lower lobe, 2 to 3 mm. A few small to mildly prominent left-sided central mesenteric nodes, up to 13 mm.

Pathfindergrl28

Postby Pathfindergrl28 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm

I am 36/f. I was diagnosed with a benign tubulovillous adenoma and diverticulosis during my colonoscopy in 2014. My GI doctor said diverticulosis was a benign condition. He said they are "saclike protrusions that resemble a pocket or outpouching of the colon," and basically an incidental finding. My aunt who recently passed away (from heart problems) had diverticulitis and never developed colon cancer... I am due for a second colonoscopy next month, I'll let you know how it goes...
36/F
Genetic high BP since age 22 (currently on Bystolic)
Wife, mom of two girls
Colonoscopy 12/1/14: DX with 12 mm Tubulovillous adenoma polyp (benign), & diverticulosis in colon, Lynch negative
Colonoscopy 10/21/16: Clear colonoscopy, diverticulosis

"Don't worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done." Philippians 4:6

ABMom

Postby ABMom » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 pm

My mother has diverticulitis. It can be very painful when you have a flair but, otherwise, her doctor's don't seem concerned. She did have to make some modifications to her eating (no seeds, no nuts, etc.). Basically, she avoids foods that could end up landing in the pockets because if they get stuck there - it causes a lot of pain and spasms. She can feel it coming on now and gets on top of medication right away. She gets flairs when she gets slopping on her eating and lets some of the things she shouldn't in.
39 Stage 1 RC
T2N0Mx - 2016-10-07
LAR - 2016-11-01
Illeo-reversal - 2017-01-27

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:49 pm

I was lucky to actually get diverticulitis, if not, I may have not found my cancer. Anyway, I don't think cancer itself would cause this. Diverticulosis is caused by weak areas in the colon which cause pockets to form and then collect feces, etc. I believe having issues like constipation and such can add to it, so in theory, if chemo or other things cause constipation or such, it could contribute to getting Diverticulosis. Many people have it but don't know until it gets infected (diverticulitis). Best thing is to try to prevent it by trying to avoid constipation. From what I know and Jmo. My mom had diverticulitis many yrs ago and now does everything to prevent it and hasn't had it since, but the pockets remain. Mine were removed during my colon resection

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:05 am

Most people over 50 have this. Actually, our 45 year old son who has Celiac has the pouches. It's thought to be from weak places in the intestines, possibly from chronic constipation. They mentioned mine 8 years ago and I've never had diverticulitis.

NOTE: The Mayo Clinic has released a report that says seeds and nuts have NEVER BEEN FOUND/ REPORTED by a surgeon who did surgery for diverticulitis (the infection). Another report shows that men who eat popcorn twice a week have less flairs that men who avoid roughage and seeds. The diet has been 'withdrawn'. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diverticulitis-diet/faq-20058293
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:10 pm

dianetavegia wrote:Most people over 50 have this. Actually, our 45 year old son who has Celiac has the pouches. It's thought to be from weak places in the intestines, possibly from chronic constipation. They mentioned mine 8 years ago and I've never had diverticulitis.

NOTE: The Mayo Clinic has released a report that says seeds and nuts have NEVER BEEN FOUND/ REPORTED by a surgeon who did surgery for diverticulitis (the infection). Another report shows that men who eat popcorn twice a week have less flairs that men who avoid roughage and seeds. The diet has been 'withdrawn'. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diverticulitis-diet/faq-20058293

Many yrs ago my mom was told to avoid those things and I told her that info is outdated but she still does, she does take fiber daily still. I will send her this link, but I doubt it will change her mind as she is dead set on it :roll:

ABMom

Postby ABMom » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 am

Nik Colon wrote:
dianetavegia wrote:Most people over 50 have this. Actually, our 45 year old son who has Celiac has the pouches. It's thought to be from weak places in the intestines, possibly from chronic constipation. They mentioned mine 8 years ago and I've never had diverticulitis.

Many yrs ago my mom was told to avoid those things and I told her that info is outdated but she still does, she does take fiber daily still. I will send her this link, but I doubt it will change her mind as she is dead set on it :roll:

LOL! I sent this link to my mother as well but she swears diet makes a difference and doesn't plan to make any changes either. :roll:
39 Stage 1 RC
T2N0Mx - 2016-10-07
LAR - 2016-11-01
Illeo-reversal - 2017-01-27

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:35 pm

My mother is 84 and she's the one who told me. I didn't believe her so did my own web search. She'd heard it in the beauty shop. LOL
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

pantufla

Postby pantufla » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:27 am

The thing that bothers me is if it has been there all along, why didn't the surgeon cut it out? It's in the left colon where the cancer was. If it was there, did he not see it? If it wasn't there, why would it appear only 1 year out from surgery. It's just weird to me. It's little things like this that bug me. I guess it will remain a mystery.
Tumor size 6 cm.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.

LPL

Postby LPL » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:14 am

Pantufla wrote:
" The thing that bothers me is if it has been there all along, why didn't the surgeon cut it out? It's in the left colon where the cancer was. If it was there, did he not see it? If it wasn't there, why would it appear only 1 year out from surgery. It's just weird to me. It's little things like this that bug me. I guess it will remain a mystery."

From the article I posted before
http://patients.gi.org/topics/diverticu ... ticulitis/
"Most patients with diverticulosis have no symptoms or complications, and will never know they have the condition unless it is discovered during an endoscopic or radiographic (X-ray) examination. ... "
" Diverticulosis is generally discovered through one of the following examinations: Barium enema ... Colonoscopy... CT scan..."
"While diverticula can be present anywhere in the intestines, they are most common on the left side of the large intestine, the area known as the descending and sigmoid colon."
"Once diverticula have formed, they do not go away
."

Pantufla,
I presume your DH had a colonoscopy and/or CT Scan before surgery. Maybe the diverticulosis was there but was not noted? or seen? Does it depend on who is looking and signing the testresult?
That must have been the case for my hubby because after his 1st CT (where the diverticulosis was first noted) he has had 3-4 more CTs and this diverticulosis is Not mentioned every time!
Since the article said: "Once diverticula have formed, they do not go away." it must have been there at every CT.

You wonder why the surgeon did not cut it out?
Note - This is just ME (not a professional) thinking out loud:
If we presume it was there and he saw it. Maybe he did not want to resect too much of the colon and since, from above "Most patients with diverticulosis have no symptoms or complications " so maybe it is better to keep that part of the colon even if it includes diverticulosis? Maybe leaving that part gives less problem with BM function since the sigmoideum (most common place for diverticulosis to be found) is an important part of the colon for storing..
" Sigmoid colon, a terminal section of the large intestine that connects the descending colon to the rectum; its function is to store fecal wastes until they are ready to leave the body. ... Fecal material can be stored in the sigmoid colon for seven hours or more and is usually expelled when new waste material requires entry into this region."
This last quote comes from https://global.britannica.com/science/sigmoid-colon

Kind Regards /LPL
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

pantufla

Postby pantufla » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:26 pm

I got a chance to ask the doctor about this. He said you cannot see diverticulosis during surgery, only on the colonoscopy. So, that's why he didn't cut it out. It must have been there all along. Just another thing that caused me to worry for no reason.
Tumor size 6 cm.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.

Thetoad

Postby Thetoad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:06 am

Hi. Just adding my bit. My follow up (and only) colonoscopy a year after surgery, showed several pockets. They have been there for some time it seems but are not considered a problem. The tumour they removed was some distance away and nobody has ever suggested that the spots had any relevance to the cancer. Best wishes.
Emergency extended rt hemi November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.

Yearly appts appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Incisional hernia repair, mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open.
Good consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17 colonoscopy ok Jan. 2018 :)
Nurse pleased, March 2018. CEA 1.8. One more CEA test and hopefully last appt in November, 2018.
Prostate cancer, Gleason 7 (3+4) Sept. '18.

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:40 am

pantufla wrote:I got a chance to ask the doctor about this. He said you cannot see diverticulosis during surgery, only on the colonoscopy. So, that's why he didn't cut it out. It must have been there all along. Just another thing that caused me to worry for no reason.

I bet it's the gas used during a colonoscopy that makes the diverticulosis pockets "pop open" so they can be seen.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux