Slightly O/T: Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Glyphosate

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
chrisca

Slightly O/T: Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Glyphosate

Postby chrisca » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Some on this forum have talked about dealing with inflammatory bowel disease. In research I've been doing on temporary small bowel obstruction which I had last summer, I found a paper showing a correlation between IBD rates and the application of glyphosate to our food supply. The most useful chart is on page 25 of this paper:

Swanson NL, Leu A, Abrahamson J, Wallet B. "Genetically Engineered Crops, Glyphosate and the Deterioration of Health in the United States of America." Journal of Organic Systems 2014, 9, 2. Web: http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/92/JOS_Volume-9_Number-2_Nov_2014-Swanson-et-al.pdf.

The paper mentions a lot of other diseases I don't want to get either, though colon cancer was not something they found a correlation for.

For those wanting to dig deeper, I have written a summary of several good papers on this topic at: http://www.lensjoy.com/Blog/EatOrganicOrDie.htm

I'm working on moving to a completely organic diet for all grains, sugars, and dairy as my mother died from dementia and my father from Parkinson's. I started with only organic whole wheat, and the bowel obstruction symptoms stopped completely. That sold me. There's a lot of scientifically validated evidence online now about too much of this herbicide in our foods, but governments worldwide are dragging their feet on doing anything about it.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

Sams wife

Re: Slightly O/T: Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Glyphosate

Postby Sams wife » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:47 am

Good post. I read most of your blog. Can't read the paper on this "smart phone", not so smart!!

I've read where gmo corn kills the "bugs" on the corn form bursting in their bellies. How do we think it affects our bellies (intestines). Wish I could read the paper. Organic sounds way better than gleutin free.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 am

Here is the abstract from the paper:

Abstract
A huge increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic diseases has been reported in the United States (US) over the last 20 years. Similar increases have been seen globally. The herbicide glyphosate was introduced in 1974 and its use is accelerating with the advent of herbicide-tolerant genetically engineered (GE) crops. Evidence is mounting that glyphosate interferes with many metabolic processes in plants and animals and glyphosate residues have been detected in both. Glyphosate disrupts the endocrine system and the balance of gut bacteria, it damages DNA and is a driver of mutations that lead to cancer.

In the present study, US government databases were searched for GE crop data, glyphosate application data and disease epidemiological data. Correlation analyses were then performed on a total of 22 diseases in these time-series data sets. The Pearson correlation coefficients are highly significant (< 10-5) between glyphosate applications and hypertension (R = 0.923), stroke (R = 0.925), diabetes prevalence (R = 0.971), diabetes incidence (R = 0.935), obesity (R = 0.962), lipoprotein metabolism disorder (R = 0.973), Alzheimer’s (R = 0.917), senile dementia (R = 0.994), Parkinson's (R = 0.875), multiple sclerosis (R = 0.828), autism (R = 0.989), inflammatory bowel disease (R = 0.938), intestinal infections (R = 0.974), end stage renal disease (R = 0.975), acute kidney failure (R = 0.978), cancers of the thyroid (R = 0.988), liver (R = 0.960), bladder (R = 0.981), pancreas (R = 0.918), kidney (R = 0.973) and myeloid leukaemia (R = 0.878).

The Pearson correlation coefficients are highly significant (< 10-4) between the percentage of GE corn and soy planted in the US and hypertension (R = 0.961), stroke (R = 0.983), diabetes prevalence (R = 0.983), diabetes incidence (R = 0.955), obesity (R = 0.962), lipoprotein metabolism disorder (R = 0.955), Alzheimer’s (R = 0.937), Parkinson's (R = 0.952), multiple sclerosis (R = 0.876), hepatitis C (R = 0.946), end stage renal disease (R = 0.958), acute kidney failure (R = 0.967), cancers of the thyroid (R = 0.938), liver (R = 0.911), bladder (R = 0.945), pancreas (R = 0.841), kidney (R = 0.940) and myeloid leukaemia (R = 0.889). The significance and strength of the correlations show that the effects of glyphosate and GE crops on human health should be further investigated.
Xeloda round 2

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Fri May 20, 2016 4:41 am

chrisca wrote:... There's a lot of scientifically validated evidence online now about too much of this herbicide in our foods, but governments worldwide are dragging their feet on doing anything about it.

Today was the deadline for the European Commission in Brussels to vote on whether or not to extend the permit to sell glyphosate products in Europe for another 10 years. (The current permit for glyphosate in Europe expires next month.)

You can look at the news to see what happened... Basically, the members of the Commission couldn't come to an agreement today, so the meeting was adjourned.
"Europe unable to decide on glyphosate"

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Fri May 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Another take on this whole controversy. Much of the research surrounding this is not very good science. A recent discussion with review of the actual studies and their flaws may be found here: There is a lot more supposition in these studies than sound cause and effect. In statistics - correlation does not imply causality! Much more rigorous first hand laboratory studies need to be done to determine if there is actually a cause or not.

Have a look here if you haven't already made up your mind: http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/ar ... and-cancer

I also would like to point out the horse is already out of the barn as well with regards to taking up a so called "organic" diet after the fact if you have already been diagnosed with cancer. Vegans and others on organic and other diets also get colon cancer. There is no magic bullet to its prevention. Everyone has risk factors for it to a greater of lesser degree depending on a whole host of factors too numerous to list. A combination of these factors and individual genetics, and like as not the diversified bacterial colonies in your colon contribute to this risk. As a child you might have taken an antibiotic that changes the ratios and make up of the bacteria in your gut, which then increased you colon cancer risk, because of increased inflammation. You might have ate moldy peanuts in Asia and now have liver cancer etc. You may have flown on a plane too many times and a random cosmic ray cause a mutation in one of your stem cells in an intestinal crypt. However - I should point out that these are all tiny risks compared to everyday life. Walking out the door getting in your car and driving to work. Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet (or at all). Walking on an icy side walk in the winter. Going for a swim at your favorite watering hole. Lighting up that smoke. The only way to avoid any of this is to not have been born in the first place and what would have been the fun in that for anyone??

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 am

GrouseMan wrote:Another take on this whole controversy. Much of the research surrounding this is not very good science. A recent discussion with review of the actual studies and their flaws may be found here: There is a lot more supposition in these studies than sound cause and effect. In statistics - correlation does not imply causality! Much more rigorous first hand laboratory studies need to be done to determine if there is actually a cause or not.

Points well taken, I'm scientifically trained and know these time-series studies don't prove causation. But a whole slew of them is highly suspicious. The thing that clinched it for me was that the bowel obstructions went away after going on organic grains, and the original ones happened after meals that included whole wheat or soybeans. It's been almost a year now, and not one episode. I can eat organic whole wheat and soy with no symptoms at all. So it's not gluten intolerance either. I also know too many people in my life who've had the diseases in Swanson's article. My mom had dementia, and my father Parkinson's. My partner has MS and he's a farmer. I figure, better safe than sorry. In a few more years, we'll have better science but until then I'm not taking any chances. I don't think Roundup caused my cancer and there is no time-series link for colon cancer in the literature. But they did have strong links for cancers of the bladder, kidney, pancreas, liver, thyroid, and myeloid leukemia. For those of us planning on having children, autism was also strongly correlated.

In another development, the FDA has announced they will start testing food for glyphosate. http://www.newsweek.com/fda-will-begin- ... ver-428790
I figure they wouldn't do this unless they had some data to go on.
Xeloda round 2

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Tue May 24, 2016 7:31 am

I am a drug discovery chemist by training and spent 20+ years working in that field on anticancer drugs. I do chemical informatics now, which includes data analytics in the life sciences. Yes - the FDA is doing a study, but that is to collect data and to determine if there really is something there or not. They will actually have hard numbers to work with and will be able to set standards. My grandfather who is currently 98 years old was a farmer until his advanced age caused him to retire. I have to say. He was highly exposed to a lot of these chemicals as was I and many of my cousins. No cancer in our family history. No serious health issues really and most in my farming family live into their 90's. I personally have been exposed to some pretty seriously dangerous chemicals. I take no medications, but I have to admit I weigh about 30 lbs more than I would like to be right now as I don't get the exercise I use to. Too much time in front of a computer, and my wife's fatigue from her chemo means we don't get out and hike in the woods together as much.

I applaud that you have found a diet that is working for you. Organic or not - it is probably less processed and has fewer additives etc. Not a bad thing overall. Everyone should eat as health a diet as they can, but its no guarantee that one won't develop one or more if the diseases you cite. I am also very dubious about "organic" claims as well. But I still think that Swanson's article is self serving (Anti herbicide crusader) and they skew the results and innuendo towards their world view. As a scientist - there needs to be more than just vague relationships here supported by dubious statistics. I know several biostatisticians and even they would take exception with these studies.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 am

There's an interesting article that just appeared in the news this week -- about Monsanto and the glyphosate issue:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-accuses-monsanto-of-manipulating-research-to-hide-roundup-dangers/

Jacques

Re: Glyphosate linked to cancer?

Postby Jacques » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 pm

There's an interesting story in the recent news that actually suggests a link between glyphosate (the weedkiller 'Roundup') and cancer:

Monsanto’s Glyphosate to Be Listed on California’s Cancer-Causing Substances List
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/monsantos-glyphosate-to-be-listed-on-californias-cancer-causing-substances-list.html

It's Official: California Lists Key Ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup as Cancer-Causing
https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-cancer-2454487516.html

California says a popular herbicide causes cancer
http://www.popsci.com/california-glyphosate-cancer

LPL

Postby LPL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:19 am

Jacques, thank you for these links.
In France we have something called the Labbé law. " In force since January this year, the first stage of the law forbids the use of pesticides by the French state, local authorities and public bodies for the maintenance of public spaces, forests and roadsides. Derogations exist for cemeteries and sports grounds."
"The sale of phytosanitary products to amateur gardeners will also be banned from January 2019. " (reference March 30 2017 https://www.euractiv.com/section/agricu ... icide-ban/ )

We have quite a large part of gravel around our house. Personally I've never bought or used Round-Up there (or anywhere else) Butt my husband has.. Sigh. Last year when his CC was diagnosed, the treatments & surgeries made him tired and he didn't protest when I used the old fashioned weeding by hand. It is exhausting... This year no weeding at all has been done :shock: :( due to me unable because of a traffic accident, DH had to be my caregiver = not enough time to do everything needed in the garden.

I'm not going to tell hubby that he will not be able to buy Round-Up from 2019 :wink:

Please - Does anyone have a good alternative to Round-Up for weeding a graveled area? I'm not getting younger and in the future the old fashioned weeding by hand will not be possible for me due to a bad back.

Thank you in advance for ideas.
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

fumaros

Postby fumaros » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 am

The facts of roundup are:

- it is in a lot of our food (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-gil ... 50444.html)
- some scientific studies say it is genotoxic (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S14 ... xt&tlng=pt)
- some say it is just a little genotoxic, and the effect is temporary (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 0902929741)
- As Jacques' news article post shows, Monsanto has been intentionally trying to muddy the science on glyphosate (
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-acc ... p-dangers/)
- The IARC (World Health Organization) looked at all the independent scientific studies (i.e. those research not sponsored by Monsanto) and ruled that it is probably carcinogenic.
- Also glyphosate is just one ingredient in roundup, it also includes surfactants that are designed to increase it's absorption into plants and it toxicity.

However, not everyone exposed to some carcinogens gets cancer, and it is an extremely complex disease where multiple factors work together (or shall i say fail together) to cause it.

We should use the best information to make decisions that are in our best interest.

I think we should be careful about what we put in our bodies, especially for us because we get scanned (radiation) so frequently compared to the general population, and we have been susceptible once. Going organic is expensive, but it is possible you can buy organic for the most contaminated - here is a ranking (https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list.php).
Diagnosed 4/8/16, age 29
Colectomy 4/20/16
Stage III, T4bN1 Tumor 7x6.5x2. Muscinous Adenocarcinoma with SRC features
2/16 lymph nodes
Stage IV, Peri mets 5/2019
CEA 4/14/16 - 16.8
CEA 6/2/16 - 1.9
CEA 6/17/16 - 0.87, 7/16 - 1.33, 12/16 - 1.14, 4/17 - 0.6, 7/17 - 0.5, 10/17 - 0.9, 3/19 -5.8, 4/19 -10
FOLFOX began 6/24/16 - 11/25/16, FOLFIRI - 5/10/19
10 round FOLFOX, 2 round 5-FU & Leucovorin, 1 round FOLFIRI
MRI & CT 8/16 - NED, CT 12/16 - 10/17 - NED

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:47 pm

LPL wrote:I'm not going to tell hubby that he will not be able to buy Round-Up from 2019 :wink:

Please - Does anyone have a good alternative to Round-Up for weeding a graveled area? I'm not getting younger and in the future the old fashioned weeding by hand will not be possible for me due to a bad back.

LPL, I recommend to accept what you can't change.

By the way, are you familiar with five stages of Round-Up withdrawal syndrom?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm

LPL wrote:Please - Does anyone have a good alternative to Round-Up for weeding a graveled area? ...Thank you in advance for ideas.

One thing you might try is a flame weeder. Here in our town the maintenance crews use flame weeders to rid the sidewalks, pavements and cobblestone walkways of weeds and clumps of grass.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/what-is-flame-weeding-information-on-flame-weeding-in-gardens.htm

If you're interested, you can probably get one of these from your local LeroyMerlin shop:

Désherber thermique
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/terrasse-jardin/gazon-terreau-serre-et-entretien-du-jardin/desherbant-et-desherbeur/desherbeur-thermique-et-electrique-l1308217250

LPL

Postby LPL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Jacques, Thank you very much !
I was hoping someone would suggest 'flames', because that is what I had imagined would be an alternative even though I've never seen one up front. And reading about it now, in the 1st link you posted, makes me think it would be perfekt for gravel - it's not like I need to avoid plants like in a vegetable garden.
Again Thank You, I will check my local Leroy Merlin!
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am

sams wife mentioned - I've read where gmo corn kills the "bugs" on the corn form bursting in their bellies. How do we think it affects our bellies (intestines).

I have also read that GMOs have altered our gut bacteria DNA. The correlation between the rise in colon cancer and the use of glyphosate (sp?)/genetic engineering seems very, very strong.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild