Laparoscopic or open surgery for colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
nickr

Re: Laporascopic or open surgery for colon cancer

Postby nickr » Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Nik Colon wrote:
nickr wrote:but am concerned with higher recurrence rates at the ports

Can you link where you seen that as what I read that was not the case.
If you have skilled surgeons that should not be an issue. Both are around equal in many areas, and as far as cost about equal also based on time of stay and other factors (equal eachother out). But overall, lap did have slightly better overall statistics. Lap takes longer op time, but overall stay longer for open. Many other factors which I can't remember all, but if I had to choose, I would go with what the specific Dr was better at. Or seek one out which ever you choose. Jmo

Sorry I can't find the link. I read somewhere that earlier cases reported higher rates of recurrence at the port sites, but also read where recurrence rates were comparable to open procedures. If available to the patient it seems to me that the laparoscopic procedure is much more beneficial, especially for someone approaching 80. Thank you for your advice.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed May 18, 2016 8:56 pm

nickr wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:
nickr wrote:but am concerned with higher recurrence rates at the ports

Can you link where you seen that as what I read that was not the case.
If you have skilled surgeons that should not be an issue. Both are around equal in many areas, and as far as cost about equal also based on time of stay and other factors (equal eachother out). But overall, lap did have slightly better overall statistics. Lap takes longer op time, but overall stay longer for open. Many other factors which I can't remember all, but if I had to choose, I would go with what the specific Dr was better at. Or seek one out which ever you choose. Jmo

Sorry I can't find the link. I read somewhere that earlier cases reported higher rates of recurrence at the port sites, but also read where recurrence rates were comparable to open procedures. If available to the patient it seems to me that the laparoscopic procedure is much more beneficial, especially for someone approaching 80. Thank you for your advice.

Thanks. Also, I don't know if you are Nick R, but I am Nik R :)

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Thu May 19, 2016 3:23 am

nickr wrote:Just wondering if one should chose laporascopic over open surgery if option is available. I understand the main benefit is quicker healing being less invasive, but am concerned with higher recurrence rates at the ports. Also read that it depends on the expertise of the surgeon. Like to hear results of those who chose laporascopic and whether they agree it was the right choice for them. Thank you.

Thank you for posting this and for expressing your reservations.

I didn't have laparoscopic surgery, even though my surgeon is certified for both open and laparoscopic surgery. I didn't have a choice. My situation required open surgery instead.

However, just for the record, I'll say that I, too, have the same kinds of reservations about the laparoscopic procedure, namely the possibility of "higher recurrence rates at the ports". If I had the choice I think I would probably opt for the open surgery.

My overall opinion (if I can express it briefly) is this: If I ever need a surgery for a non-cancerous problem (e.g., gall-bladder removal, appendicitis, small hernia repair, etc) then I would definitely consider a laparoscopic approach. However, if the surgery were to involve a malignant cancer, then I would not choose the laparoscopic approach but would opt instead for the open surgery.

BTW: In your original post you misspelled "laparoscopic". This means that if members here ever try to search for your post by using the correctly-spelled keyword they will never find your post.

elise

Postby elise » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 am

I've had both and for sure it was quicker to recover from lap than open. I was up walking quicker and for much longer distances. I returned to exercise much faster.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

nickr

Postby nickr » Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Jacques wrote:
nickr wrote:Just wondering if one should chose laporascopic over open surgery if option is available. I understand the main benefit is quicker healing being less invasive, but am concerned with higher recurrence rates at the ports. Also read that it depends on the expertise of the surgeon. Like to hear results of those who chose laporascopic and whether they agree it was the right choice for them. Thank you.

I didn't have laparoscopic surgery, even though my surgeon is certified for both open and laparoscopic surgery. I didn't have a choice. My situation required open surgery instead.

However, just for the record, I'll say that I, too, have the same kinds of reservations about the laparoscopic procedure, namely the possibility of "higher recurrence rates at the ports". If I had the choice I think I would probably opt for the open surgery.

My overall opinion (if I can express it briefly) is this: If I ever need a surgery for a non-cancerous problem (e.g., gall-bladder removal, appendicitis, small hernia repair, etc) then I would definitely consider a laparoscopic approach. However, if the surgery were to involve a malignant cancer, then I would not choose the laparoscopic approach but would opt instead for the open surgery.

BTW: In your original post you misspelled "laparoscopic". This means that if members here ever try to search for your post by using the correctly-spelled keyword they will never find your post.

Just wondering would you change your opinion on going laparoscopic [ if available to you as an option] if you were 79 yrs. of age, and not in the greatest health after undergoing treatments of vocal cord cancer and recurrent prostate cancer? We have a meeting with a colorectal surgeon at the end of the month to see what our next step is. Thanks for noting my spelling error. Is there a way to go and edit the title of the post?
Last edited by nickr on Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu May 19, 2016 8:36 pm

To edit, click the (pencil) to the left of the ! and "

nickr

Postby nickr » Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Nik Colon wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, I'm Nick R with the "c". Luckily I didn't use my second choice "Nick Colon" as my username. :wink:

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 pm

nickr wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:

Yes, I'm Nick R with the "c". Luckily I didn't use my second choice "Nick Colon" as my username. :wink:

Lol!!! :mrgreen:
My username is my first and middle name combined Nicole Lynn, but I go by Nik. I had a different username when I started, but changed it later as I found it fitting :)

nickr

Postby nickr » Thu May 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Nik Colon wrote:
nickr wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:

Lol!!! :mrgreen:
My username is my first and middle name combined Nicole Lynn, but I go by Nik. I had a different username when I started, but changed it later as I found it fitting :)

OK that makes sense now. Funny how that turned out with your name, very clever. :lol:

nickr

Postby nickr » Thu May 19, 2016 10:42 pm

nickr wrote:
Jacques wrote:

Just wondering would you change your opinion on going laparoscopic [ if available to you as an option] if you were 79 yrs. of age, and not in the greatest health after undergoing treatments of vocal cord cancer and recurrent prostate cancer? We have a meeting with a colorectal surgeon at the end of the month to see what are next step is. Thanks for noting my spelling error. Is there a way to go and edit the title of the post?

Sorry, did it again. "our"

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu May 19, 2016 10:50 pm

nickr wrote: Is there a way to go and edit the title of the post?
nickr wrote:Sorry, did it again. "our"

Did you see my comment above on how to edit your post?

Nik Colon wrote:To edit, click the (pencil) to the left of the ! and "

nickr

Postby nickr » Thu May 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Nik Colon wrote:

Yes, just saw it now, thanks.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

nickr wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:

Yes, just saw it now, thanks.

You're welcome :)

Jacques

Re: Laparoscopic or open surgery for colon cancer

Postby Jacques » Fri May 20, 2016 4:08 am

I haven't done much reading about laparoscopic resection, so I don't have much to offer in that area.

For your upcoming meeting with the surgeon, what I would suggest is to review the colonoscopy report in detail, especially the technical terms. For example, what kind of polyp did they find? What did the biopsy say? Exactly where was the polyp located? --- in the rectum? in the upper colon?

You could then ask what kind of resection would be considered the best for this particular situation. Note that laparoscopic resection of the rectum is different and more challenging than laparoscopic resection of the colon.

If you're interested, here is a video about laparoscopic colon resection:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/67mZhJiXWNs/?rel=0&autoplay=1

Reference: http://laparoscopy.blogs.com/prevention_management_3/2010/08/laparoscopic-colon-surgery.html

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Fri May 20, 2016 6:35 am

H is for Hawk wrote:For laporoscopic surgery, confirm that the surgeon will be inserting the resected colon in a small plastic bag, this will prevent seeding of malignant cells at the port location when the tumor is removed from your body.

Would this really NOT be done?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”