Celebrating Seven Years

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lee

Re: Celebrating Seven Years

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

I wanna see pic of your garden when you have it complete. You grow beautiful gardens.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks. Just bought a drone, so it will be an aerial pic. I'm psyched about another good gardening season. The kids next door keep me honest. They have high standards and I'm loathe to let them down. I've heard it said that if you can do anything of significance in this world, teaching a child to garden is high on the list. I tried to interest my own kids, but being kids, they got bored as they grew older. Gardening requires patience--something kids rarely have in abundance. However, now that they're in their mid 20s and mid 30s respectively, they've become re-interested. Anyway, especially in this economy, I like passing out free food.

Heres' some close-ups of young plants from last year. Makes me pine for a later date on the calendar:

Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Postby juliej » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:30 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I've been laying around all winter doing nothing physical, so I wasn't sure I could still do this, but was more than willing to give it a shot. I like some assurance from time to time that cancer hasn't cramped my style too much--at least not so far.

Eric, I can't put into words how much I admire this about you! :D You've always pushed the limits and, as far as I can tell, are better off for it. Like you, the routine of life is vital in keeping me on an even emotional keel, both during treatment and now in my post-treatment limbo. Wishing you many more years among your trees and garden!

When are you due back at 53rd? I was just there last week. It snowed the first day, then promptly changed to 70 degree weather for the remainder of the week. I'm convinced we'll both be there at the same time eventually!

Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

juliej

Postby juliej » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm

BrownBagger wrote:Just bought a drone, so it will be an aerial pic.

Cool! What kind of drone? Can you arm it to take out Ratso (or his relatives, Son of Ratso or Grandson of Ratso) and protect your broccoli? Or is it just for garden shots?

Julie
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS left lung 11/2013

ForDad

Postby ForDad » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Many congrats on your 7 years, and those are some impressive pics. Here's to many more years of successful gardening!

Sue
Daughter to Dad age 67 @dx, Dec. 2013 (now 73)
Stage IV cecum, 4 liver mets, CEA 21.8
MSS, KRAS mutant (G13D), MLH1 mutant (V384D), and TP53 mutant (G245S)
1/14 FOLFOXIRI, 2x
2/14 FOLFOX, 1x
3/14 Right hemicolectomy, 2/38 nodes
4/14 FOLFOX, 4x
8/14 Liver resection
9/14 Liver tumor growth: microwave ablation
10/14 FOLFIRI, 6x
1/15 NED
2/16 8 to 10 lesions in lungs
3/16 Avastin + 5FU, 72x
4/19 Growth in lungs, lymph nodes. FOLFIRI + Avastin, 4x (CEA 12.4)
7/19 Started Stivarga + Opdivo
10/19 Start Hospice

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm

juliej wrote:Cool! What kind of drone? Can you arm it to take out Ratso (or his relatives, Son of Ratso or Grandson of Ratso) and protect your broccoli? Or is it just for garden shots?

Julie

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Professional, which I managed to get working yesterday and took it our for a few short spins getting everything calibrated and othewise set up. Being a peace-loving type, I didn't get the weaponized version, but if I get good enough at controlling it, I may harass the varmints with it. I did get a perfect overhead shot of the garden, but there's nothing but some early weeds to see. The ability to take aerial photos and video is something I'll be able to use in so many ways, but I bought it mostly to keep an eye on the tree farm--to check things like tree health and stocking, for example, from yet another perspective. Another potential use is safety. If I'm working out in the woods alone, which I do often, my wife or mom should be able to send the drone out to where I'm working to see if I am, in fact, working. So it's got a lot of potential uses. Think of it as a camera with wings.

If I wasn't organic, I could probably use it to crop-dust my garden.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

barbara jayne
Facebook Username: Barbara Allenhttps://www.facebook.com/barbara.alle

Postby barbara jayne » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:31 am

Wonderful to read your post, huge congrats on 7 years, been following your journey alongside my own, I passed my 8 years in January, so I can remember when you joined,
Wow ! & all that wood .....you still got it Eric :) take care !

Barbara x
DX. Colon Cancer (Cecum) stage 3
Right hemicolectomy Jan '08
2/22 L.nodes positive
Oxi and Xeloda
Xeloda discontinued
due to DPD enzyme deficiency
Lynch Syndrome
13 years NED
Facebook user name,
Barbara Allen https://www.facebook.com/barbara.allen.927

trapbear
Facebook Username: bill manning

Postby trapbear » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Congratulations Eric, I have enjoyed your posts for many years. I am so happy you are doing so well. Take care.
Bill
Husband Dx with Stage 3 CC in Dec 07
Xelox Jan-July 08
Lung mets Jan 09
Folfiri plus Avastin Mar-May 10
5FU plus Avastin May 10-current
2 liver mets March 13, continue 5 FU & Avastin
liver RFA Oct 13, hospice June 14, at peace Sept 2, 2014

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:08 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I got a DJI Phantom 3 Professional, which I managed to get working yesterday and took it our for a few short spins getting everything calibrated and othewise set up. Being a peace-loving type, I didn't get the weaponized version, but if I get good enough at controlling it, I may harass the varmints with it. I did get a perfect overhead shot of the garden, but there's nothing but some early weeds to see. The ability to take aerial photos and video is something I'll be able to use in so many ways, but I bought it mostly to keep an eye on the tree farm--to check things like tree health and stocking, for example, from yet another perspective. Another potential use is safety. If I'm working out in the woods alone, which I do often, my wife or mom should be able to send the drone out to where I'm working to see if I am, in fact, working. So it's got a lot of potential uses. Think of it as a camera with wings.

If I wasn't organic, I could probably use it to crop-dust my garden.

Very cool! Did you get the one with the 4K camera? Can you view through your iPad or just phone? How much wind can it take? How far is the Wi-Fi range? How long does the battery last? I 'm thinking Son of Ratso would drop his broccoli plant and run if he saw one of those hovering over your garden!!
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS left lung 11/2013

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 pm

I am waiting for the TaliBambis to photobomb surveillance videos !
:mrgreen:

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 am

juliej wrote:Very cool! Did you get the one with the 4K camera? Can you view through your iPad or just phone? How much wind can it take? How far is the Wi-Fi range? How long does the battery last? I 'm thinking Son of Ratso would drop his broccoli plant and run if he saw one of those hovering over your garden!!

It's the one with the 4K camera. I take and use photographs for a living, so more resolution is always better. This opens up a whole range of opportunities to get aerial shots (say, of a logging operation) that were only possible with a helicopter just a few years ago. It even operates indoors, so I can use it to take inside aerials in the convention center where we hold our annual trade show. Lots of exhibits. The controller connects with my iPhone and displays real-time video of what the camera sees. You can play back video that you just shot while the thing is still in the air. You can snap individual photos or video by hitting buttons on the controller. I'm thinking about getting an iPad mini to serve as a dedicated display. The display on the 5s is a little small. I had it out the other day with a steady, mild wind and there was no problem. It's pretty powerful, so I think it can take, officially, sustained winds of 25 mph. I wouldn't attempt that yet. As to range, depending on what set of specs you're reading, it's either 1.2 or 3.5 miles. I don't plan to send it more than a mile away, however, so I really don't care. It's got enough range for my purposes. The batteries last a bit longer than 20 minutes. I've got three. The thing automatically returns home when it gets low on battery or it loses contact with the controller.

CRG--I might use it to harass the local deer herd, which doubled from 12 to 24 individuals over this mild winter. They're not afraid of my skidder, but maybe the drone is a little more menacing. I hovered it in front of my face the other day and it was pretty intimidating. Looked and sounded like a big bug.

Seriously, the best advice I've read on this particular drone is to treat it like the sensitive instrument that it is. If you want to have fun and push the limits flying a drone, get one with a cheaper camera.
Eric, 58

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:51 am

Glad to see you're gettin' your MacGyver on again.
Sounds totally KEWL but being also 100% useful and functional = priceless !

Cheers bro'
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

juliej

Postby juliej » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:28 pm

I think the iPad mini is a great idea - larger format to see everything (even the TaliBambis!). Never thought of using a drone inside a building, but that's an interesting idea.

Do you have hawks in your forest? Are you worried about them taking out the drone? Occasionally a big red-tail hawk takes out one here, but I think it's a much smaller drone than yours. However, an osprey or bald eagle could take on one your size. As for me, I'll be evading the cougars again this summer since they will be increasing their numbers due to the plentiful food supply (deer).
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS left lung 11/2013

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

CRguy wrote:100% useful and functional!

That's a hotly debated point around here. I just like to say I'm no more useless than I ever was.

Julie, we do have hawks--pretty little red-tails that tend to fly solo, and some bigger, darker ones that seem to like to hunt and travel in groups of 2 or more individuals. So I am conscious of that. There are pigeons living in my mom's barn that fly out into the woods every morning, presumably to find food. I'd like to follow them out and see where they go and what they do. I think we have a gray fox living in the woods adjoining our back yard, so I don't think groundhogs are going to be a big problem this year. Gray foxes are more much visible and bold than their red cousins, plus they bark and can climb trees, presumably after squirrels.

We have bobcats in the mountains around here, and coyotes pretty much anywhere there's a patch of forest. My biggest fears are deer and turkeys, as in I don't want to collide with either on my bike.

Back to the drone--it's pretty durable and stable, so I doubt a hawk attack would do any damage, though if it caused a crash, it might. I also got a viewing hood with the iPad mini. There's a lot of valuable information on the app that runs the controller that is hard to see and activate on a little 5S screen, especially with any glare at all.
Eric, 58

Badass

Postby Badass » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Yee ha, Eric! That's a mighty fine anniversary- and the perfect way to mark it! You really know how to kick-off chemo as well as set the bar high for the rest of us. Wishing you at least 50 more anniversaries and continued vigor.

That flying camera drone fascinates me-- I am starting to think what creative uses I could put one to in my little world. The possibilities for nature observation alone seem endless.

I would love to see a video if you have time to share.

Best to you always!

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”