dental work while on avastin

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
midlifemom

dental work while on avastin

Postby midlifemom » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi folks!!

When I last saw Dr K. And got a script for an antibiotic for dental cleaning, I was told to be sure to tell the dentist I was on Avastin. I understand avastin has to be stopped before surgery, but what about something like having a tooth pulled or root canal work? Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks all.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Lee

Re: dental work while on avastin

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:31 pm

I have not person experience with avastin, BUTT I would tell the dentist that you are on avastin simply because of possible bleeding problems. People on avastin tend to bleed out more. Dentist may need to take step to control that.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Perhaps my husband's situation was different in that he was in advanced stages of CC, but his dentist/oncologist were reluctant to have him undergo a root canal when he was on chemo the last year (I think he was on Erbitux). The oncologist finally gave her permission, and the root canal was done. My husband experienced no harmful effects. However, like I said, both docs were reluctant and it was only after months of my husband constantly asking that they gave the okay.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

CM35

Postby CM35 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:07 pm

I had a cleaning and a few fillings done while on Avastin. I had to have labs the morning of to make sure my counts were OK - ANCs and platelets. I have a few teeth that need some more extensive work (either crowns or implants), but I am not putting that kind of money into this stage IV mouth! My dentist is very understanding, and does what he can to avoid any major work.
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:04 am

My husband wasn't on that medication, but was in the middle of his six months of folfox and had a root canal and a tooth extraction. He had to get a platelet count on the same day of the procedures which was 140, so they did everything and all turned out ok. He did have quite a bit of swelling, but within a week all was well. He took antibiotics for 10 days post procedure. His wbc and neutro. count were very low at the time and everything was still ok.

deb m

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”