Anyone have weight loss surgery after cancer??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rmblack

Anyone have weight loss surgery after cancer??

Postby rmblack » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:53 pm

i am just curious if anyone has gone through weight loss surgery after colon cancer. It seems that since I have finished my treatments and been declared cancer free, the weight just keeps piling on. My metabolism has become to a stop. Diet is normal and exercise is just so hard with neuropathy. I'm soooo happy to have survived this awful ordeal and blessed to have this life, I just want to enjoy it and feel my best.
Rhonda- 41
Wife and mom of 2 (21 and 22)
Diagnosed 9/12/14
Stage 3 Colon Cancer
Surgery 10/6/14
30 radiation treatments
6 months chemo. Oxy and xeloda
NED 7/18/15
Reoccurrence 4/2016 in abdominal wall
Surgery 4/2016
Stage 4
KRAS wild
3 months of Erbitux (May-July 2016)
20 radiation treatments
NED 8/10/16
January 2017 CLEAR SCANS!!!

Philippians 3 14

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Re: Anyone have weight loss surgery after cancer??

Postby Jachut » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Well, no but I had lapband surgery before cancer - still hands down the best ever decision I made for my happiness and health - and I was a moderate BMI of 31, not morbidly obese at all.

The only issue it causes me is that along with taste changes from chemo, I have naturally gone off a lot of dense but nutritious foods - like meat, salad etc because they're just hard work to eat and take a long time and make you really full on a very small amount (what weight loss surgery is supposed to do) only for my body to show all he signs of hunger (but not stomach hunger) such as fatigue, headache etc within an hour or two. Over time I"ve naturally evolved to living on sugar and caffeine in regular hits throughout the day! But that's my issue, my bad habits and not a given by any stretch.

I maintain an effortless BMI of 24 and am not suffering from that middle age spread syndrome - well not severely! Things are dropping but not expanding!

sjring

Postby sjring » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 am

Not after cancer, but I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery about 7 years before the cancer dx.
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 pm

:lol: they took half my stomach due to colon cancer spread. Told me I'd be unable to gain weight again. Well, 45lb later...

Anyway, not meaning to sound rude but weight gain and weight loss are a simple energy in vs energy out equation; with or without cancer.

The post-chemo food cravings will not be a permanent state. I experienced them, too. The difference is I actually wanted to gain weight.

Exercise is great, but not required to keep off fat gain. Diet being "normal" means little - if you're unhappy with your weight gain, eat less! Simple.

Best wishes.
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

Jachut

Postby Jachut » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm

You can in fact out eat any weight loss surgery and stretch out stomach pouches etc. It happens in everyone to some degree.

Its only a tool - it still takes a lot of hard work to be successful with it and it really IS rude to dismiss what it does for people as "just eat less. Simple". :roll:

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Jachut wrote:You can in fact out eat any weight loss surgery and stretch out stomach pouches etc. It happens in everyone to some degree.

Its only a tool - it still takes a lot of hard work to be successful with it and it really IS rude to dismiss what it does for people as "just eat less. Simple". :roll:

Well, "eat less with or without stomach-capacity reducing surgery" then. The energy in vs energy out mechanisms are identical. Was meaning more in terms of weight gain after chemo as opposed to weight gain in everyday life... there's nothing mystical about it which means you need surgery to assist - the weight rebound isn't a permanent condition. Being factual and concise; no need to hunt for offense where none is intended :)
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:02 am

The problem is that your metabolism goes into overdrive during chemo and slows down when chemo stops.
Be very careful of your blood glucose levels. You have probably had a fair dose of dexamethasone during chemo and are at high risk of T2 diabetes.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 am

I did not lose weight on chemo, actually gain a little (well, i gained a little b4 cuz i assumed id lose weight) then stayed around the same. I assume the steroids had alot to do with it. Not everyone loses weight on chemo. Gained a ton of water weight (20lbs) from surgery then lost it but started chemo again so still not down to my normal weight yet. Just finished chemo tho and hoping to lose the extra.

sjring

Postby sjring » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 am

NZJay wrote:
Jachut wrote:You can in fact out eat any weight loss surgery and stretch out stomach pouches etc. It happens in everyone to some degree.

Well, "eat less with or without stomach-capacity reducing surgery" then. The energy in vs energy out mechanisms are identical. Was meaning more in terms of weight gain after chemo as opposed to weight gain in everyday life... there's nothing mystical about it which means you need surgery to assist - the weight rebound isn't a permanent condition. Being factual and concise; no need to hunt for offense where none is intended :)

Let's be careful here, yes weight loss is a strict mathematical equation, but people are not. For some people the ability to stick to that equation is harder than others, and some people need a little help. Bariatriac weight loss surgery isn't meant for everyone, especially the person who only wants/needs to loose a couple of pounds. To qualify for weight-loss surgery you need to be in a "Morbidly Obese" category (BMI >40) and have other co-morbidities. At the time I went through the program, you had to pass a psychological screening as well.

It's no different than the alcoholic, who has trouble saying no to drinkig, the drug addict who needs that next hit or the smoker. The difference is, you can live without alcohol, drugs or tobacco, but you can't quit food cold turkey (protein pun not intentional), you still need some caloric intake to live. That makes food addiction a bit harder to treat.

Weight loss surgery isn't a cure, it's a tool. A tool that we now see has a correlation to increased risk of CRC that was unknown at the time I had my surgery. Does that mean it's still not a viable tool? No, it means people who have weight loss surgery probably need earlier and more frequent screening for CRC and we need to continue to understand the mechanisms that make it an increased risk factor.

But don't diss the tool.
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:55 am

NZJay - I understand what you are saying BUT....females have a much harder time losing weight AFTER menopause than before. That has been proven repeatedly in study after study. Men don't have that same issue. Our hormones help regulate our metabolism - that's the way it was meant to be. After menopause, those hormones levels are so decreased that we either have to severely limit our food OR ramp up the exercise level significantly. As my doctor says....that isn't always as easy as it sounds. Female bodies 'suffer' because of a loss of hormones....our bones have a tendency to become more brittle....meaning exercise is more difficult. Not saying exercise isn't possible or beneficial....just that after menopause, it becomes more difficult as with any person. If menopause occurs naturally, you're 'generally' looking at an older female....one who just can't necessarily do the same things that she did 20 years earlier. Let's be honest...older men can't usually do the same things that they did 20 years earlier eaither.
If a woman goes through menopause because of something like chemo, the effects are magnified even more. Chemo takes a toll on ANY person's body....now add the insult of not having your hormones (and remember, in the 'natural' setting, women lose their hormones gradually over years....not the same with a medically induced case of menopause) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Sorry but it's not as simple as saying its an energy in vs energy out solution after menopause. Our hormones affect so much in our bodies....it really sucks when they just go away! BTW - take a look at how hormones affect a female's cholesterol levels. Studies have shown that even eating/exercising the same or better.....a female's cholesterol level will be higher after menopause than before.

Yes, there is a member, Helen, (sorry but I can't remember her username....search for a topic with the words 'pooped in my pants' and you'll find her) who had a colon resection and some years later had weight loss surgery. She doesn't come on the forum as regularly as before but you should be able to find her username. Let me know if you can't.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Annemiek

Postby Annemiek » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Aaaah a little light just went on in my head. I finished chemo three weeks ago, I lost 25 kg during and after surgery, maintained that weight during chemo ( 2 kg off 2 kg on)
But now I've finished with chemo I have enormous sugar cravings, unbelievable longing for creambuns, ben and jerries.. White chocolate chip cookies.... I try to be good but it's hard.
I'm not into fully exercising yet, because of neuropathy and lack of overall condition of my body.
Are you saying this is due to dexamethason? Are there ways to start up my metabolism again before I have to think about weight,oss surgery?
Sorry to highjack your topic..

Annemiek

43 yr mum of a girl aged 7
10/2014 coloncancer stage IIIc
11/2014 HIPEC, tumor removed + 12 positive out of 60 ln
hysterectomy, abdominal lining partly removed
Peridonitus, stoma fitted, 6 abcesses drained in abdomen
MSS, kras
3/2015 Folfox, someones playing kill Bill inside me
9/2015 finished 12 rounds,
First scan results: NED!!!!!!!!!
4/2016 ct scan: NED!!!
7/2016 ultrasound: NED
10/2016 cr scan: NED
5/2017 ultrasound: NED 2,5 yrs!
CEA 8/2017 1.8 stable.
CT scan 11/2017 NED! 3 yrs
CEA 1.9

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm

I happened to read this article from The Atlantic this morning, and thought it was interesting.

from the article:

A study published recently in the journal Obesity Research & Clinical Practice found that it’s harder for adults today to maintain the same weight as those 20 to 30 years ago did, even at the same levels of food intake and exercise.

The authors examined the dietary data of 36,400 Americans between 1971 and 2008 and the physical activity data of 14,419 people between 1988 and 2006. They grouped the data sets together by the amount of food and activity, age, and BMI.

They found a very surprising correlation: A given person, in 2006, eating the same amount of calories, taking in the same quantities of macronutrients like protein and fat, and exercising the same amount as a person of the same age did in 1988 would have a BMI that was about 2.3 points higher. In other words, people today are about 10 percent heavier than people were in the 1980s, even if they follow the exact same diet and exercise plans.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... 0s/407974/
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:12 pm

I found Peanuts study and comments somewhat interesting. Not doubting peanut but are those in the study are probably self reporting so how correct is their reporting on foods that they actually do. Furthermore if you look at the macronutrients of fat and protein did you take into account what the proteins were eating? In the US the cattle are much more grain fed than in Australia so they have a higher omega 6 ration than omega 3. There has been a massive increase in the amount of sugar that has been put into processed foods so even if they are eating the same amount of fat and protein what about the sauces that they are cooking in? Much more calories in the same amount of fat and protein as in the past but more processed food equates to additional saturated fat and a massive overdose in sugar equating to more calories.

This seems to be what NZJay is saying. Eat less (and better quality) and move more.

I know that when I grew up my parents grew, cooked everything themselves and eating out was a treat. Now at my work most of the parents are "time poor" so eating out is a thing that is done numerous times per week and a home cooked meal is once or twice per week and when it is done, it is with high calorific processed foods that are full on dead calories. Is it surprising that NZJay says such a simple thing and everyone reacts? Nobody wants to hear the truth which is pretty much what he said.

Human evolution doesn't mean that in 20 years the same humans process food differently and grow fatter. It is in either our movement and what we are eating, or a combination of the both. Some consideration of what food can provide to us would go a long way in weight loss.

Remember I am writing from Australia where 68% of the population is overweight, and of that 68%, 30% are are obese. Someone like me that eats well, exercises and has a BMI of 19 is thus in the minority.

Yes, I ate less during chemo as I felt like shit most of the time, yes I exercised less as I was struggling but why stop? It is part of my life and that perhaps explains why I I still remain at a BMI of 19 after chemo. If I exercise less, and eat too much of the "good" stuff then I put on weight. If I put on weight I stop eating too much, and move more and I lose weight.

Not really rocket science. why do people not want to face what NZJay says and pull out studies to explain why they are putting on weight? Yes Jayne, we can bring in hormonal changes but that is in a small percentage of the population and doesn't explain the worldwide obesity epidemic. If we solved that there would be more money to spend on cancer!
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Look, I wasn't saying that there isn't an obesity problem in this world and yes, for the most part, I agree with the idea that you exercise more and/or eat less and you lose weight. However, as both you and NZ are MALE, you really have NO personal experience with the whole concept of female hormones and how much they effect a woman's body. Lose those hormones....particularly lose them quickly ....as is oftentimes the case with cancer (either lose them due to chemo and/or radiation) and you open another can of worms. Weight gain is just ONE of the problems that comes with menopause. In today's world, you don't just necessarily replace those hormones...at least not the way it used to be...because too much hormone replacement puts you at risk for more cancers. It's a balancing act and not one which is easy to have to deal with.

The OP wasn't asking about weight loss surgery for someone in the 'normal' population but rather commented that losing weight after CANCER and the treatments was HARD...nope, pretty much impossible. My onc told me (and I believe him) that chemo messes with the female's hormonal balance...even if it doesn't cause us to go into menopause. We had a member, quite some years ago, Gaelen, who was a pharmaceutical researcher...quite intelligent I might add....who also stated the same. You can't deny the fact that the female's hormones are all screwed up thanks to the treatments.

Simply put...cancer survivors are a different group....nope they aren't the 'average' member of the general population. So, while I agree that in the majority of people - the idea of energy in vs energy out is what makes the difference in weight loss/gain....that same idea doesn't necessarily hold for the cancer survivor patient....or more specifically...for the female cancer patient/survivor - even more specific...if she has entered into menopause because of her treatments.

It is rather offensive to the female population on this board who have gone through so much (and I don't care what the heck stage you are) dealing with this disease to simply tell them to 'eat less' and or exercise more. We all deal with our bodies betraying us and then we deal with the whole cancer crap...from diagnosis, treatments and finally the whole worrying about recurrence. Then, on top of all of that, female cancer survivors deal with the dramatic cessation of hormones that are supposed to be a normal part of a functioning human body and you just dismiss all of that. It's very real and it's not fun. You go and ask any doctor how come it is more difficult for the menopausal woman to lose weight and then come back and tell us it's all about energy in vs energy out. When you're metabolism is stuck because something is 'missing'...when nothing you can do makes it rev any higher....it just simply sucks!

So, if the OP wants to have weight loss surgery and if she qualifies and recognizes that it's not necessarily an easy fix...then go for it.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Jachut

Postby Jachut » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:53 pm

What I find offensive about the Just Eat Less message is that "normal" people who aren't 150lb overweight don't appreciate just how much less a large weight loss takes - during the early years after lap band surgery, my small stomach limited me to about 1000 calories a day - and it still took 2 and a half years to lose 35kg. After time it stretches out a bit you can eat a bit more and these days I eat more like 1500 a day to maintain my 150lb. That is WAY less than the energy in energy out equation indicates what I should eat, particularly given I run and go to the gym. The equation simply is not the same for everyone and weight loss is about eating WAY WAY WAY less than the equation dictates because the body can and does adapt to low intake.

I would like to see anyone who likes to mouth off about "just eat less" actually do what it takes to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off forever. Statistics bear me out, people simply do not achieve this without help.

I was more than capable of zipping my lips and losing 10kg every now and then, and I always exercised fairly regularly. I wasn't the one at the table with huge plates of food - or drinking milkshakes all day either, I ate what I consider normal quanities of good and bad foods - actually come to think of it, I got fat whilst breastfeeding, gained significant weight after each of my babies was born so maybe there was a hormonal element, but definitely a lifestyle one, being at home with young kids. Some people are just luckier than others when it comes to weight and metabolism and our society's eating lifestyle is toxic for those of us that aren't effortlessly trim. A

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”