Had my 1st colonoscopy today - found a 5 cm mass & I'm terrified

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AnnClare

Had my 1st colonoscopy today - found a 5 cm mass & I'm terrified

Postby AnnClare » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi, all. This is my first post.

A quick background about me ~ I'm a 41 year old female "health nut' & have been an avid exerciser for over 20 years.
About a year ago, I had an episode of bloody stool. I've battled constipation off & on as long as I can remember, and figured it was from a hemorrhoid (no other symptoms). It happened a few times, then stopped, then would happen again here & there.

In February, I changed careers. The off & on blood in stool issue surfaced again, and I chalked it up to stress (and again, irregularity & presumable hemorrhoid.) My dear, loving husband urged me to get it checked out, but I'm distrustful of doctors and the medical field in general, having watched my mom die a slow, painful death at the hands of them. It scarred me for life, to be sure.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, abdominal cramping started happening along with the blood in stool. Based on my symptoms (esp. lower left side pain), I thought it might be ulcerative colitis and last week met with a gastroenterologist, who at the time said he "didn't believe it was cancer" (because I HAD to ask, knowing he couldn't tell me during the initial exam), but scheduled the colonoscopy today to be sure and fully see what was going on.

For the past week, I was a nervous wreck. My husband kept telling me to stay positive & that it was probably something minor.
When the doc came in after the c-scope to talk to me, he said I had a 5 cm mass near the proximal end of my rectum, which he biopsied. I started crying, and he said not to worry yet, and that he had me scheduled to meet w/a colorectal surgeon (on 9/21) because the mass needs to be removed due to its size.

My discharge paperwork mentions in several places '5 cm mass of malignant appearance' so of course I'm freaking out. My husband and I have been having crying jags off and on all day. Not only do I have to have surgery (which I've come to accept), but the notion that it might be cancer is unthinkable.
I'm so scared and depressed right now. I want to have a positive outlook so that this bugger doesn't grow any larger, but I'm SCARED. And I want it out NOW. I have these awful visions of it getting to grapefruit-sized proportions in the meantime. Also, I can't find any info - should I exercise, like light walking, or yoga? Will activity make it grow? Spread?

I know I should calm down until the biopsy results are back (probably not until Monday, 9/14), but that's not easy to do. Also, I do not, DO NOT, want chemo. Surgery is one thing, chemo is another. I don't want to go that route.

Thanks to any and all who have read this long, rambling, self-indulgent post, especially if you can offer any insight or share any experiences.
Thanks.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

kellywin

Re: Had my 1st colonoscopy today - found a 5 cm mass & I'm terrified

Postby kellywin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello AnnClare,

I know exactly how you're feeling. I still remember it like it was yesterday, laying there during the colonoscopy and seeing for myself that giant black oozing mass. I knew then what it was. I asked my doc when it was over and he said wait until the biopsy. I pushed and he said yes, he had an idea about what it was. So yeah, I knew. The waiting was torture. Right now, you don't know what it is and unfortunately, there's probably going to be more waiting in your future. If it does turn out to be cancer maybe some scans, CT &/or MRI. It sounds like it's in the rectum so if it is rectal cancer, that means more waiting than with colon cancer. Depending on stage, maybe radiation & chemo (don't freak, that chemo you can take pills and for a lot of people they have no or little side effects) then surgery and potentially chemo after that. I know the dreaded chemo word. I wanted to find anyone on the planet that would tell me I didn't have to do chemo. Unfortunately for me, stage IIIC, chemo was a must and I needed to do whatever I could to be here for my daughter. At this point, you don't know what it is, once you have the biopsy at least you'll have a starting point.

You don't need to change anything you are doing, nothing is going to effect that tumor. I know for me, the anxiety was so bad, I finally asked for some Xanax. I highly recommend it.

Hang on. We're here for you.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

ozziej

Postby ozziej » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi AC
Welcome to the club no one wants to join. Sorry you have to be here but now that you are you will find a wealth of information and support. My advice would be:
Stay off google
If your anxiety is causing you distress then a referral to a counsellor and/or some medication can help you through those first scary weeks.
Colorectal cancer is generally very slow growing so your tumour could have been developing for at least 10 years. Therefore a few more weeks won't make a lot of difference. This time is not wasted. Particularly with rectal cancer it's important to stage the cancer in order to formulate the best treatment.
The size of the tumour is generally less important than the depth to which it has penetrated the bowel wall. This information comes from biopsy of the tumour and scans, and helps stage the cancer.
Depending on the stage, there are often a range of options available. Sometimes the hardest part is making a choice.
Although very hard, try not to get ahead of yourself. Seems it's human nature to head straight to the worst case scenario, but there are a lot of myths out there that can be dispelled by reading through some of the threads on this forum.
Keep us posted and when you have further information about your staging you can add this into your signature. This will help other members when responding to your questions.
Best wishes
Jan
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:25 pm

I was exactly in your shoes about a year ago - I had occasional bleeding, but no family history or any other symptoms so I blew it off. When I was finally checked out the surgeon told me just from his exam it was probably cancer. It has been a long year but I am currently in remission and almost done with treatment.

Since your dr didn't tell you it is cancer, hopefully there is a goid chance it isn't. The waiting is do so hard though. Try to distract yourself however you can. If exercise helps your mindset by all means exercise - it certainly won't hurt anything.

I will be wishing the best for you. If it does end up being rectal cancer, there will be more tests and scans, and depending on stage they may recommend radiation with a chemo pill for 5 weeks or so. If you are stage 1 it will be just surgery most likely. Try to keep an open mind and listen to the drs, get a second opinion if you want, and you will have to make the right decisions for you. You are young so they will likely want to be aggressive. With your history it sounds like it will be very important for you to find a team of drs you trust.

It is hard but hang in there.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

PEEJAY

Postby PEEJAY » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm fairly new to this and I remember the feelings of being so anxious to get in there and fighting and why do I have to wait? I read something somewhere that said "You are no sicker now than you were last week, so try to relax" and that helped.

I hope it's not cancer. If it is, I hope you don't have to go through chemo. But please do it if it's what's best. I'm only 33, I don't want to be on chemo, but I have an aggressive mentality in my fight and am doing what needs to be done.

Good luck to you. It's a terrible thing and I'm sorry for you and your husband. Stay off Google and hope for good news on the 14th
Age 33
Stage 4 CC with 20+ mets to liver 1/20/2015
8 Rounds Folfoxiri feb - april 2015
Colon Resection 5/2015
Permanent Colostomy
Peritoneal Carcinoma found
Folfiri + Erbitux 6/2015 - 9/2015
Angiomapping for Y90 9/24/2015
Y90 Treatment 10/13/2015
Power port re-placing sched. 10/23/2015
Due back for chemo 10/29/2015 (right before trick or treating!!!)
11/26 Chemo not working
My colon cancer podcast "I'm Dying Here" in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/im- ... 1035722798

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:04 pm

AnnClare wrote:Hi, all. This is my first post.

I know I should calm down until the biopsy results are back (probably not until Monday, 9/14), but that's not easy to do. Also, I do not, DO NOT, want chemo. Surgery is one thing, chemo is another. I don't want to go that route.

Thanks.

While it's too early to worry about, can you explain why you do not want chemo.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Welcome to the WTF club? Colon Club doesnt do justice to what we have to deal with. Unfortunately it is unlikely that you will avoid chemo because it is the medical field standard of care for the disease. If you insist that you wont have chemo, the docs may insist that they dont remove the tumor because mortality or lack thereof is related to the standard of care which in most instances requires chemo. If you are truly lucky, you may only have to go through chemo shorly after diagnosis. If you are unlucky as many of us are you have to learn to live with chemo because its the only thing keeping you here. Remember that sanity is closely tied to accepting an objective reality. That said, if you dont like what you are hearing from the Oncologist then get a second or third opinion if that brings peace of mind.

Best of Luck on your Journey,

Mark
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

PEEJAY

Postby PEEJAY » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Also, chemo doesn't have to be awful. It's different for everybody. Not so bad for me, really, and I get some pretty nasty drugs in mine.
Age 33
Stage 4 CC with 20+ mets to liver 1/20/2015
8 Rounds Folfoxiri feb - april 2015
Colon Resection 5/2015
Permanent Colostomy
Peritoneal Carcinoma found
Folfiri + Erbitux 6/2015 - 9/2015
Angiomapping for Y90 9/24/2015
Y90 Treatment 10/13/2015
Power port re-placing sched. 10/23/2015
Due back for chemo 10/29/2015 (right before trick or treating!!!)
11/26 Chemo not working
My colon cancer podcast "I'm Dying Here" in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/im- ... 1035722798

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:04 am

Wishing you the best. Just wanted to let you know I am/was Stage 4, now NED after surgery but still doing chemo to lessen likelyhood of recourance. 1 more left than done, hopefully, then CT. There are many good stories of people surviving even with stage 4, so try not to worry, wait until you find out, come here for questions, and DON'T look at statistics as many are outdated and every case is individual. There are many survivor stories here too, look to those for hope. In closing, I hope it's not or just early stage at worst, but even if not stay positive, learn, and again come here to talk, vent, ask questions, etc. You will learn alot more here than from any doc imo.

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:25 am

Ya - I was a cancer drug discovery chemist. Talked about the importance of early screening all the time because it's best to catch it early, rather than later. You would think my wife would have listened, it wasn't until nearly a year into her GI issues and bleeding, and constant changes in her diet to try to mitigate those GI issues on her own before she finally confided in me. Unfortunately by that time it was too late and had spread. After twisting her arm to go see her GP Dr, they thought it was likely diverticulitis as my wife was very athletic and healthy otherwise no one seemed to think it was anything other than, that. I urged a colonoscopy, and her doctor said, that would likely be a good idea anyway. So. Couple weeks later she saw a GI doc, had it done, and he could see right away it was colon cancer. 4 cm tumor. I was very angry. Had she done her first scope still age 50 when it's recommended, and had her GP been more forceful, she should likely been in the earliest stage. Likely a resection and maybe chemo. Nope wasn't that easy it had already spread to her liver, Spleen and perhaps lungs, though this last they have never been sure about, and are leaning towards those small spots likely are not mets. This all was determined before surgery via a CT scan. The did a resection of colon at the Sigmoid colon area to remove the primary.

Everyone is so uptight about the scope and its prep. My wife after having had it done, now wonders why she ever put it off, it was never as terrible as it was made out to be. In fact she did the prep again about two weeks later for the surgery. 6 weeks after surgery she started FOLFOX then they added Avastin. When she had done 12 rounds of that they took away the Oxi and continued with the 5-FU and Avastin initially every two weeks then every three.

So now over two years out she is stable, does chemo for only 3 days out of ever 21. But no breaks. She tolerates Chemo very well, only thing is the fatigue and the fact she doesn't have the energy to train for trail races anymore. She still get exercise, just not at the intensity she use to. She eats well, her appetite is very good, though she adjusts her diet some during the treatment week, to avoid things that might cause mouth pain, or GI issues, otherwise she eats pretty well all things considered.

She really doesn't let the fact that she is a lifer, bother her too much. Right now she is in Canada horse back riding for a couple of days. Next week it's CT scan time yet again, and we hope it continues to show stability or perhaps some further shrinkage of the already calcified liver tumors. Spleen tumor they can no longer see.

So as you can see for some chemo isn't as bad as all that. Brown Bagger has been doing a long time and he exercises quite a bit as well from what he tells us.

So don't despair, this is serious but no use crying over spilled milk, Plenty of folks on this board have been fighting a holding pattern for a while, as they wait for better treatments, or perhaps just something that will let them live with this as a chronic disease like diabetes perhaps, maybe even a cure.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

kathybrj

Postby kathybrj » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I remember the anxiety like it was yesterday but it was March 2014. The doctor doing my husband's scope knew it was cancer right away so no waiting for the biopsy. I let my mind take a run ahead and it made for some very rough days. Finally I asked about seeing a counselor at our cancer center and it helped tremendously. In the meantime my husband's attitude was- "ok- I'll go for treatments, get the surgery and just beat it." He did chemo/rad before surgery and it shrunk his tumor from 5 cm to 2.5 cm. He worked every day through that- acted like it was a cake walk. He got a radiation burn but took care of it and that was that- 5.5 weeks of 5 days/week 15 minute radiation and oral chemo. He actually rode his motorcycle to his treatments. Surgery took him off his feet for a few weeks. He had a temporary bag placed so his colon would heal. He did 9 cycles of FolFox and worked through that as well. He would take off 3 days every two weeks for the treatment. he gained 15 pounds while on treatment, took walks, even went out to dinner wearing the pump. He finished in January 2015 had the bag reversed in late January.

We're currently packing our motorcycles for a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway starting tomorrow.

I know it's terrifying to the point where you feel you can't breath. Your mind spins and you go to places you really shouldn't. The counselor just told me to keep thinking "one day at a time"- not my personality but I learned to think that way because it was the only way to get through. Looking back we both know it could have been so much worse.

First things first- try to breath. Stressing yourself out will not change what ever it is you may or may not have. Once you know- learn as much as you can so you can make good decisions for yourself. post here- ask questions and read. The people here are incredible and are supportive, smart and down to earth. I read much more than I post and these people have been more important to me than I can ever let them know.
Blaise (DH) dx 3/31/14 (age 49)
Stage IIIb Rectal - 4 lymphs involved
Xeloda and Rad 5/5/2014
Surgery 7/29/14 Illeostomy Placed
FolFox 9/11/2014 x 9 treatments
Reversal 1/27/15
NED 9/29/2015
Kathy-Caregiver

AnnClare

UPDATE: Re: Had my 1st colonoscopy today - found a 5 cm mass & I'm terrified

Postby AnnClare » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:32 am

Sorry it's been so long since I first posted & visited here - obviously things got crazy and I've been busy.

Quick synopsis ~ found out on 9/11/15 that it was rectal cancer. Shortly thereafter had CT scan and MRI, determined it was stage 3, tumor larger than first thought (8 cm). Met with a surgeon that my husband I felt comfortable with then an oncologist who we LOVED. (Side note: I usually despise doctors, so this was huge.) Had a PET scan. Shortly before my treatment was to begin, the onc had to take a leave of absence for a family emergency; had to get new onc who was okay, but not like the first guy. He prescribed Xeloda to accompany the 28 rounds of radiation. Went through that Nov. - Dec. 2015 and didn't have too bad a time, mostly fatigue, especially in the last week. Lost some weight at the end because of low/no appetite, but five days after completing, I began to bounce back. In the meantime, the onc I really liked has returned, and is now my doctor again for the duration - yay!

On 2/17/16, I had surgery to remove the rectal tumor (which had shrunk to 2 cm), my ovaries & fallopian tubes (recommended as a precaution), and a few lymph nodes around the tumor and some around the aorta (because they lit up on a PET scan); got an ileostomy that I'll have until I finish 12 rounds of FOLFOX, which is set to begin 3/28/16.

While I'm a little anxious about beginning chemo, my onc has assured me that due to my age (41) and overall good health (I've had no health issues until now - go figure), that I should fare well, especially since I didn't have much trouble with radiation & chemo pills. My primary concern is nausea, but he's assured me that he incorporates 3 anti-nausea meds in the infusion and has also prescribed a patch to wear. AND he's also writing a script for Ativan, should I need something to calm me. This is all so odd - I've NEVER been an Rx person. I'm an all-natural, holistic type, BUT I figure I'm going to have so much stuff pumped into me over the coming months that a little 'chill medicine' (as the nurse calls it) is acceptable, IF I need it.

Soooo . . . that's what's been up. Reading the responses above has been so comforting and encouraging for me. I amazed by the strength and positivity I find here and will continue to visit, read, and, I'm sure, post - probably more than I should! (I'm a worry wart!)
I'm supposed to get my port put in this Thursday, that is if nothing is wrong with one of my incision sites from my 2/17 procedure (it keeps draining - going to see my CR surgeon tomorrow to get it checked out.)
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Hoping all goes well for you. My husband did folfox 12 rounds in 6 months. He too was in good health otherwise and he did ok. We had some issues with low white counts, diarrhea, neuropathy, nausea, but were all managed pretty well with meds and good advice.

Do check in with us now and then to let us know how things are going. I'm glad you have your old oncologist back because I thinks it's very important to feel comfortable with who you have.

deb m

Soccermom2boys

Postby Soccermom2boys » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 pm

I was just checking out the board and recognized your name from the UOAA forum as well--we travel in the same social circles these days. :-)

I am 45 and just went to cancer center today for round four of my FOLFOX treatment. It is amazing how vastly different our bodies handle these toxic drugs. I personally read as much from here as I could so I had an idea of what was the worst it could be just so if I was going to get hit hard I at least knew what that might be. I too am not a medicine person per se--if I take Motrin a few times a year that is about it generally so it is tough knowing all of these toxic drugs are coursing through me, ugh! So back to FOLFOX, I feel fortunate because no nausea or diarrhea issues like so many others have had, it's the cold sensitivity that absolutely puts me over the edge. As I write this fingertips are stinging for sure--gets exponentially worse with each treatment, mainly in my hands, not much in feet yet, just an occasional twinge. Unfortunately spring decided to get chilly on me today so that didn't help, but the warmer weather will help during my treatment weeks (and yours too) I should hope anyway.

Just giving you a heads up you may be sore after that port insertion. I totally was blindsided by that, was thinking because it was a fairly small outpatient procedure it wouldn't be so bad, but I was crazy sore for days, like someone used my left shoulder area as a punching bag. After getting through the APR surgery with only needing Tylenol extra strength a few times, I was shocked how sore I was from that port. I think it is because while you are under the Anasthesia they manipulate your arm/shoulder area more than we realize and that is why it is so sore--I pulled out the Percocet to try and relieve pain it bothered me that much. But like everything else about cancer, it may not be an issue for you, just wanted to at least give you a potential warning as I was not at all thinking about it and letting you know it is normal of you are sore for a few days. Now I only really notice it during treatments when I am connected there.

As I said, I recognized your name from UOAA, I have a perm colostomy due to such a low rectal tumor. I do not actually have an account on there so I just read the posts, but I have been reading yours and rooting for you--from one rectal cancer sister to another! Amazing what we will put our bodies through in an effort to rid ourselves of this beast called cancer. I know damn straight my body was infinitely better off physically, minus the tumor of course, before I burnt it and had surgery and am now poisoning it, but I have a family I want to be around for/with so I trudge through and thank my lucky stars to have this forum to find I am not alone in my feelings and aches and pains, etc.

Glad to hear you are hanging in there and keeping up with all that has been thrown at you-crazy how far you have come in the last six months, right?! Keep on posting, will be looking for you and rooting for us both to have an end to this insanity.
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm

As for the port, I found it no big deal, minor discomfort for a few days, week or so maybe (not long), but nothing major. I had chemo start the day after it was put in. Now, I forget it's there! So, everyone is different.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”