NED's are you following a diet & exercising or living your life as before?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
horizon

Re: NED's are you following a diet & exercising or living your life as before?

Postby horizon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 pm

My diet wasn't too bad before I was diagnosed but it is definitely much better now. I had been exercising regularly and consistently for years when I was diagnosed. That didn't change.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I was never a horrible eater. I like my veggies and stuff, but I I've cut back significantly on my carb intake. I've always been pretty active and I'm continuing that. I'm in the process of losing a few pounds (I travelled a bit to much last fall/winter and put on a bit to much weight). Which is coming off fine. I supplement Vit D.

All in all just trying to have a good time with my wife and son.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

mom_2_3

Postby mom_2_3 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:16 pm

When I asked my well-regarded oncologist at MSK about how to avoid recurrence she said one word, "Exercise." And so I do, getting in at least 27 mets of exercise weekly. Keeping fit is important to our family and my husband and I like that our three children see the importance we place on staying physically fit and hope it becomes a habit in their own lives. I run and lift weights but my favorite is hot yoga.

Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 am

The new 2015 NCCN Guidelines on Survivorship contain detailed information and recommendations in these areas, with separate sections dealing with diet (SNWM-1) and with exercise (SPA-1):
All survivors should be encouraged to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle with attention to weight management (SNWM-2), physical activity (SPA-1), and healthy dietary habits (SNWM-1)...
NCCN Guidelines, “Survivorship: Healthy Lifestyles” , Version 1.2015, p. 69.

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 am

After I completed chemo I'm afraid I reverted to my old ways.
In June 2011 I was diagnosed T2 diabetic ( another dex victim). I started walking, watched my carb intake , lost 20kg and got control of my blood sugars.
Whether any of this has made a difference to my long term survival I don't know , but they are probably things that we all should be doing anyway.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 pm

I really liked my life pre-cancer and have gone back to it. Only change is that I am taking chemo induced peripheral neuropathy with me. :roll:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Ontario Guy

Postby Ontario Guy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:00 pm

I ate well, drank moderately, and exercised daily before DX. My brother, three years older than myself, smokes, drinks a fair amount, leads a sedentary lifestyle, and by any standard eats a worse diet than I do. I got cancer, he didn't. Go figure.

NED for three years. My diet is about the same as before: lots of fruits and veggies, a little meat, little sugar, two glasses of wine after dinner. For exercise, I walk 4 km first thing in the morning and work in our garden almost every day.

I agree with weissoccermom: cancer strikes where it wants to. Sure, eat a healthy diet, lead a healthy lifestyle.

But you can still get cancer. I did.

Best,

OG

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Ontario Guy wrote: My brother, three years older than myself, smokes, drinks a fair amount, leads a sedentary lifestyle, and by any standard eats a worse diet than I do. I got cancer, he didn't. Go figure.

I agree with weissoccermom: cancer strikes where it wants to. Sure, eat a healthy diet, lead a healthy lifestyle.

But you can still get cancer. I did.

Best,

OG

Agree.

My mother was seriously overweight, smoked like a chimney till the day she died. Ate junk food, and did not exercise. They never even found a polyp in her.

I knew a few people who ate beef their whole life, lived into their 90's and they never were scoped. And cancer did not kill them.

A friend of mine, dad died at the age of 46 from colon cancer, non smoker. His wife is 85+ today, still smoking. healthy as an ox.

It's all in the genes.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:19 pm

I haven't changed much of anything I do since before dx. I take 2 more vitamins than I used to and a med for CIA (Chemo Induced Arthralgia), commonly called fibromyalgia for those who have never had chemo. I eat, drink, exercise and sleep the same. Maybe I sleep a little more but I can sleep in now since I retired :-)
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

behconsult

Postby behconsult » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 pm

I need to lose weight but had made radical changes. Don't drink alcohol but once a year, supplements, 90% veg diet, exercise a lot more. Listen to my body.
Stage 4 Age 56 BrafV660E 5/14
spot on perit/ Right side tumor
Resctn 6/9/2014
Folfox strt 7/2014. 6 of 12 tx
Chemo induced DM2
Pet 4 mets to lung (1 cm, 6 mm) Xeloda/Avastin 9/16 to present.
Cryo-ablation to four spots- Collapsed lung/chest tube 2x
Possible local recurrence in a spot or two on PET. Stable CT

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:21 pm

When I was diagnosed and treated, 9 years ago, I gave up smoking and stopped eating all sweets. I didn't think of it as avoiding a recurrence, but the cancer just made me a little more thoughtful about doing stupid unhealthful things.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

teacher49

Postby teacher49 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I was overweight before diagnosis. I lost 60 lbs during the 18 mos of treatment. Prechemorad/APR/Chemo. After all was done and with first NED status, I made a promise to: Go to church on Easter Sunday and stop being a weekend wino. I loved red wine and with meals on weekends I could drink 2-3 glasses on Fri./Sat. nights.

After NED, I did gain some of that 60 lbs back......just because it I felt good again and I was so glad to feel good again.

I've always liked veggies and fruit and crunchy whole grains so being a lifetime member of Weight Watchers is not difficult for me. I don't eat much red meat but love peanut butter on whole grain bread as a substitute any day. I do take one baby aspirin every day along with Citrucel fiber pills.

I've come to realize that exercise does matter......you can only cut calories so much....after that you have to burn by activity. Also, while I'm not a weekend wino anymore, I will have a Margarita once in a while if I go out to Mexican restaurant. Now it's a treat....not a regular part of my diet.

BUTT, I don't really think that too much wine caused my colorectal cancer....if that were the case, Italy & France would have the world's highest rates of colorectal cancer and that is not the case. Actually, New Zealand, Australia, US, UK, and Canada have the highest incidence of colorectal cancer in the world.
F, 62,CRC, Adenoca, mod diff
cT3N0M0 Stage IIA May 2011
chemorad
APR on 9/27/11 Margins & Nodes Neg
comp.after surg/2 pelvic abscesses/Sepsis/Hosp 40 days
10th FOLFOX 6/6/2012 feet went numb
5FU to finish
NED 8/11/2021

ieowi

Postby ieowi » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 am

it's good to know that cancer patient don't need really to follow a specific diet in order to prevent it from coming back, HOWEVER I couldn't help noticing that exercises has come up in a couple of responds.
I guess trying to be in healthy diet is good for overall health but that doesn't mean to be very strict as a lot of NED'S are living there life pretty much like before.

So having a burger once a week wouldn't really hurt :D
Father 58 yo , Colon cancer IV + 4 Lymph. 7/2015
K-ras Mutant,GNAS,FBXW7,PIK3CA, MSI-low
4 cycles irinotecan+FU5
developed abdominal met + lung met...Failed
4 cycle Oxaliplatin+folfox. peri met growing...Failed
unofficial trial !!!

lpas

Postby lpas » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:50 am

ieowi wrote:it's good to know that cancer patient don't need really to follow a specific diet in order to prevent it from coming back, HOWEVER I couldn't help noticing that exercises has come up in a couple of responds.
I guess trying to be in healthy diet is good for overall health but that doesn't mean to be very strict as a lot of NED'S are living there life pretty much like before.

So having a burger once a week wouldn't really hurt :D

I read somewhere recently that the APC mutation has been linked to the type of CRC that's associated with excess meat consumption.
This makes sense because I ate very little meat prior to diagnosis, and according to my Foundation One report, APC is not mutated. In fact, my naturopath has been advising me to eat more lean, organic meat to try and bring up my blood protein and zinc levels. I guess that means more burgers for me!
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

cashmere

Postby cashmere » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:41 am

I was morbidly obese as a child and young adult so at the age of 26 I lost 130 pounds and kept it off for the most part until diagnosis. I always did something similar to the WW diet and walked.

After all treatments, I gained about 20 pounds so I had been very frustrated, I went back to what I know this year, have lost the 20 pounds with veggies and small amounts of protein, no snacking at night and walk 3-4 miles daily with dogs. The neuropathy holds me back a bit, wish I could walk forever, I love it!!

Cancer is random, I do what I enjoy!!
Stage III
Diagnosed 4/07 at 51
36 rad/24/7 chemo bag
surg 9/07
6 mon chemo w/48 hr bag
ileo reversal 5/08
NED since 9/07!!
Just resolved my 13th blockage
Been able to control blockage issues with fiber supplements!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”