My oncologist has cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ANDRETEXAS

My oncologist has cancer

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

A few weeks ago, I was informed that another oncologist would be taking over my case. I was relieved in that my chemo regime was finished for now, and I didn't have to switch doctors in mid-stream. I went for my regular appointment with my colorectal surgeon today. I asked how my original oncologist was doing, and I was informed that my oncologist had advanced pancreatic cancer. He is 41. I asked if he would be able to ever return to his practice, and my surgeon said he didn't think so. I told my colorectal surgeon that I thought doctors dealing with cancer would certainly stay on top of their own health through tests, etc. He said.."No, we sometimes don't." I am really taken aback. I loved my doctor, and he got me through some rough times. I am in a state of shock. I hope no one ever takes their health for granted. I am going to write my former oncologist to thank him for helping me. I've just got to get my thoughts together...
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

justin case

Re: My oncologist has cancer

Postby justin case » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

I just saw my GP for the first time since I told him, He saved my life. He was beaming from ear to ear, to see me so healthy 8) 8) 8)
Let your former onc know how you feel, and that just may put a smile on his face.
Michael
I haven't seen my GP for 3 years.
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

This is sad news. Sending your old onc a note would be a good thing. Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is usually not detected until it is fairly advanced. If I remember correctly, there are no specific chemos for it. I do know of one guy who lived about 10 years after his diagnosis, and another woman who had the Whipple procedure about 5 year's ago and is still doing well. Most only live a few years after diagnosis. I wish your onc well.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am

That is so sad that your oncologist has pancreatic cancer. It's thoughtful of you to send him a note.

I just want to make an observation that you seem to be blaming the doctor for his illness. You mentioned that you thought docs kept on top of their own health. The thing is, at 41, your doc would have had little reason to suspect pancreatic cancer, especially since there are currently no good diagnostic tests for it. It's not fair to "blame" him for what happened since we all know that cancer is such a random thing and often there is no rhyme or reason why it happens.

I know you're probably just stunned and grasping for answers, but I think it's good to keep in mind that no one is really responsible for cancer. I worked with a man who was about 49 when diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was always very health conscious, physically fit, and ate way better than most people. He died six months after his diagnosis.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 pm

I have Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer. I knew I was at risk for it (Dad died of it at age 78), and had yearly MRCPs as follow up on pancreatic cysts. In less than 1 year since last scan, at next scan was diagnosed with it, old cysts were unchanged, cancer was in a new growth and had already spread to the liver and I had no symptoms. So, awareness of risk was no help. There aren't any good early detection tests and symptoms don't usually arise until well advanced.

I know losing the services of your oncologist is a shock, but there was probably no way he was aware of what was growing inside him until it interfered with normal functioning, causing pain or jaundice or stomach symptoms. It is just another reminder to all of us that we are good until we are not, in other words sh-t can happen to any one at any time.

An update on me - I am 1 year since diagnosis, still have no cancer symptoms and have been through 20 FOLFIRINOX treatments, have a scan scheduled soon to see if treatment is still working.
Leslie
2014 Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer
2003 Stage III Colon Cancer
1995 Stage I Endometrial Cancer
Lynch Syndrome PMS2mutation

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Leslie ... you are a trooper! I am wishing you the very best.

Val*pal... I really don't blame my former oncologist for getting cancer. When you are working with someone so closely, and you really have a good relationship, this news just hit me. His nurse told me he said "see you Monday" after leaving work on Friday. He called over the weekend and said he would not be back for awhile. I guess he had some test run and found out that Saturday or Sunday, then started treatment. I know some diseases have no symptoms until it's too late, but nonetheless, I guess the fact that we was so helpful to me and was a great guy to boot, it just made me think how fragile everything is....even if I knew it already.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:02 pm

I know it must have been a shock. It's like being told your father is not superman when you're five years old. :( That's the thing about cancer: once someone you love or you yourself is diagnosed with it, it's impossible to stay in the daydream world that we are somehow immune.

I hope your doctor does well.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:43 pm

ANDRETEXAS sometimes oncologists don't know about clinical trials of cancers that they are not studying.

You may want to have him check with my oncologist that has had some success with using salmonella as chemo for pancreatic cancer.

His name is Dr. Edward Greeno.
https://www.doximity.com/pub/edward-greeno-md
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

Peabody5422
Facebook Username: debbie.whitaker

Postby Peabody5422 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Doctor are just like the rest of us. My OBGYN scheduled my 1st colonoscopy but hasn't had one himself. I fuss at him every year becuase he still hasn't had one after I was dx almost 4 years ago from that 1st colonoscopy and he is no spring chicken.
DX: RC 11/11 T1 N1c MX
Surgery: LAR 12/23/11
Rad & Xeloda: 1/12 - 4/12
Clean CT: 4/12
Reoccur: Lymp 4/14 4 new locations. 2 Aortic, 2 locations Rectum
Chemo to start: 6/14, OXI, Advastin, 5FU
10/14: One tumor left - on Avastin only
Surgeries: 4/15, 7/15 and 8/15 :last tumor w/Illeostomy then Ostomy
NED by 7/15 Surgery

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”