Please help! Do I have colon cancer? `

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Facebook Username: daniel ng

Please help! Do I have colon cancer? `

Postby 13698 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 pm

18 year old male, asian, no family history of colon cancer or any other cancer. Paranoid by nature. Please do bear with me here.

One month ago: I started noticing blood on the tissue after going to the toilet. I visited the doctor, who upon inspection, found two bleeding hemorrhoids. After applying cream, the bleeding stopped after I visited the doctor and has not come back since.

One week ago: Next came the diarrhea and some slight cramping. The diarrhea/cramping lasted for four to five days. As these were also symptoms of colon cancer, I started becoming paranoid. Another visit to the doctor and he prescribed me more medication. After taking the medication, these symptoms were immediately cured and I no longer have diarrhea or cramps.

Right now: I have been experiencing some quite severe fatigue for the past three days, on and off. I'm now really concerned, as fatigue is also another sign of colon cancer. In the past month I have now exhibited three symptoms of colon cancer...

My question is: is what I described above worthy of concern? Should the fact that medication cured my symptoms mean it's something less serious, or am I wrong about that? After all, three symptoms within a small time frame is a very worrying sign. Please, tell me what you think? Is it likely I have colon cancer?

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Re: Please help! Do I have colon cancer? `

Postby alphagam » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

You probably do not have colon cancer, but the only definitive test is a colonoscopy. Push, and I mean push, until you get one. It's the only way to know for sure.
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

At your age, it's highly, highly unlikely that you have colon cancer. But it's not an impossibility.

Ask your doctor to authorize a colonoscopy. Be sure to let him know if you have any family history of the disease. And if he resists, tell him that the fear is causing you unnecessary anxiety, and you need to know for sure.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KimT

Postby KimT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:27 pm

It is very unlikely that you have colon cancer. You have been to the doctor twice over it and your problems were explained or resolved.

Those of who are members of this "club" have either had cancer, or a loved one with cancer. We've dealt with chemo and/or radiation and the loss of loved ones and dear friends. To come here and request reassurance while you convince yourself you have cancer is terribly inconsiderate.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Since your symptoms seem to be clearing up with meds, cancer is unlikely. But I would find a gastroenterologist to explain what has happened so far and ask for a colonoscopy just for your piece of mind. Wishing you the best. Andre

P. S. I think he wants convincing that he DOESN"T have cancer. Big difference.
Last edited by ANDRETEXAS on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

mstults

Postby mstults » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:51 pm

As has been said you more than likely don't have Cancer. But further testing may be in order. Especially if any more problems develop. The fatigue could be the result of the blood loss, depending on how much you lost. You could start with a fecal occult blood test. Blood can be microscopic and not discernible by the human eye. Testing positive with it would make it much easier to get a colonoscopy approved.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello. Thanks for stopping by, but I'm glad to say I think you won't need us for more than that. Hemorrhoids are THE most common cause of rectal bleeding...seems the medication helped so that's likely a good explanation for the blood. Diarrhea happens (you know....shit happens) Diarrhea usually does not mean colon cancer. Your fatigue could well be from your worry/anxiety about this. I think a colonoscopy is likely overkill in this situation, butt as other members here have pointed out, it is the ONLY way to know for sure. I would strongly recommend you have one if anyone in your family has had colon cancer.

Best wishes to you, and I hope (and think) you are well.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

MSJC

Postby MSJC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Keep asking questions about things you don't understand, but don't worry yourself sick without having solid medical evidence that there is a problem...get more testing done and stay off Dr. Google!
Mike, 49 y/o at Dx 1/14 stage 3c
low rectal cancer 7 nodes positive
2/14 5 weeks chemo/rad. 5-fu
4/14 Lar gallbladder removed,
temp ileostomy
5/14 8 rds Folfox
10/14 reversal surgery
5/15 clean colonoscopy
6/15 clean ct scan

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:34 pm

KimT wrote:It is very unlikely that you have colon cancer. You have been to the doctor twice over it and your problems were explained or resolved.

Those of who are members of this "club" have either had cancer, or a loved one with cancer. We've dealt with chemo and/or radiation and the loss of loved ones and dear friends. To come here and request reassurance while you convince yourself you have cancer is terribly inconsiderate.

Sorry but you are wrong. Coming here and getting answers, support and maybe a little bit of knowledge about colon cancer is one of the BIGGEST REASON this site is here. To help EDUCATE people about colon cancer. If you hang around here long enough, you will find many people like this person who sign up to get information because they are scared they just might have cancer. Some people are told by their Dr(s) it's just hemorrhoids, don't worry about it, you are too young.

For the record, my Dr also found bleeding hemorrhoids in me. Every other test that should have been a warning sign for colon cancer came back negative or normal. When all was said and done, my Dr figured my bleeding hemorrhoids would be a good excuse to get my baseline scope early in life. I feel that referral saved my life. At the age of 46, I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer. And there is no family history of colon cancer.

The truth is, colon cancer can be a very silent killer. That is why a colonoscopy is the only true way to find out if he has a medical problem. Could be cancer, could be something else, could be nothing at all. But as other have said, he needs to push for a scope.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

mstults

Postby mstults » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 pm

What was the outcome of this:

13698 wrote:I am 18 years old. I googled blood on tissue on found out that it is a major symptom of colon cancer?

If it helps, the blood only appeared after I rubbed particularly hard - but it didn't hurt at all. However, the area was very itchy afterwards.

Should I be worried/see a doctor?

Posted in April. Did you follow up?
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Get a colonoscopy; best way to find out one way or another. Easy to misdiagnose on symptoms alone, and meds can make you feel better for a little bit even if it was cancer, but not always.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Facebook Username: daniel ng

Postby 13698 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:38 am

Thanks for all the help guys. However, the doctor said that a colonscopy is out of the question. My question is, what do I do now? Do I try to wait out this fatigue and see if it fades like the other symptoms?

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 am

13698 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. However, the doctor said that a colonscopy is out of the question. My question is, what do I do now? Do I try to wait out this fatigue and see if it fades like the other symptoms?

Find another Dr who will listen to you. By the sheer fact your Dr is seeing blood, that should be warrant enough for the referral for the GI doc/scope.

Many yrs ago on another site, an aunt had come to that forum to explain what happen to her niece. They had just buried her, she was less than a month away from turning 22. She died from colon cancer. For 2 years the niece had many symptoms, her Dr did not take it seriously due to her age. UNTIL some test showed her body was in the beginning stage of shutting down. That is when they found the cancer. It had spread all over her body. She died 3 month from being diagnose. The aunt's message was very clear, if you have having problems, get help. If one Dr does not listen, find another that will.

There are many people on this board who are dealing with stage IV colon cancer simply because there Dr did not think people under the age of 50 could get colon cancer.

I'm not saying you have cancer, I suspect you do not. But getting a scope will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on, anything else is just a guess. And as another person wrote, point out your anxiety level being an issue.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

KWT

Postby KWT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:36 am

13698 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. However, the doctor said that a colonscopy is out of the question. My question is, what do I do now? Do I try to wait out this fatigue and see if it fades like the other symptoms?

Find another doctor, or pay for your own colonoscopy. it's cheap, easy,and fun. Okay 2 out of 3

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm

For two years I had symptoms and was told by my doctor I'm too young and that I had hemmorhoids. That started when I was 36ish. At 39, I couldn't take it anymore and demanded a colonoscopy and got the results i was fearing...stage IIIB crc. If only they would have a.) listened to me sooner and b.) I would have been more demanding earlier than later, who knows what condition i'd be in now.

Demand a colonoscopy, or find a new doctor. Only way you'll put your mind at ease. My hope is good results for you. BTW, I don't think its cancer, butt there is always that chance....hence the reason for our lovely club :(

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo