side effects??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mary

side effects??

Postby Mary » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 am

In June of 2005 I was told that I had colon cancer. For a month I really don't remember much. If it was not for my husband I would have just done nothing. I went through radiation and kemo for 8 weeks. I had to wait a month, I had my first surgery. Things went ok, ok not good. I was home for a week and back to the hospital for 10 days. Thought and wanted to die. Then in May 2006 I had reconstruction surgery and that went very well. I am back to work but, I have been having some trouble and I thought someone could help me. Every time I eat anything it goes right through me. I have pain and gas so bad. The dr. just tells me to just wait it will get better. I hope someone can help me. Thanks :?

popcornkel

Postby popcornkel » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:24 pm

Mary,
Maybe you should find a new doctor who will be more attentive. If your food is going right through you, you won't be getting enough nutrition.

I don't remember the site, but I did read on a website some tips after colon surgery:
Eat smaller meals, eat more often (like 4-6 small meals a day).
Avoid foods that are related to gas
Try not to drink after you eat, that pushes stuff through faster.

I've adjusted what I eat and when, and when I work (I teach and try to teach in the morning because my bowels tend to move after lunch!).

Kelley

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:58 pm

The bouts of diarrhea are common to all of us. I have talked to several colon cancer patients I know and almost all of us have this type of problem. There have been several posts on this subject on this site. Fiber, Imodium and probiotics all may help but nothing cures it. I have even talked with an 8 year survivor and yes he still has it. You never know when it will hit you and you almost need to go NOW. I am about a half a year ahead of you (Jan 05) and have given up that I will ever be "normal" again. ( A small price to pay to be living cancer free)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”