Belle's Celebration of Life Ceremony

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
weisssoccermom

Belle's Celebration of Life Ceremony

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 pm

I've been having a difficult time trying to figure out the words to write in this post...which is why this has taken me so long to post. Belle's 'celebration of life' was a few weeks ago....April 25th....and I have to be honest, I was terrified to attend. It was supposed to rain, I didn't know if I could make it through without crying and I just wasn't sure what to expect. I also had planned to visit my parent's home (both are deceased) which is located about 5 miles from Belle's house. The day was going to be a highly emotional day all around. In addition, Battleground/Brush Prairie was a good 2.5 hours from my home so I had a lot of time to reflect on what was going to transpire. It didn't help that I had hurt my hip a few days earlier and the drive was brutal but I made it there and back ok.

Belle's ceremony was beautiful.....people cried and laughed and remembered what a wonderful person our dear Belle was. There was music, some 'speeches' and a small video about Belle, her life, her likes, her friends but most importantly her family. A few people got up and spoke and I deeply regret that I didn't have the courage to do so. My memories of Belle aren't about her advocacy or about her devotion to CRC. Rather my memories are about a lovely woman (Belle used the word lovely all the time when describing things) who was all about her kids and her family. I remember Belle in the snow in Leavenworth, precariously perched taking pictures of her kids as they slid down the hill....all the while having a smile on her face. I remember the first time I met Belle when she came to pick hubby and me up at the train station in Leavenworth....would I know her, would we like each other (even though we had talked on the phone for years!) and I remember her smile, her welcoming hug and her comment "I didn't think you were a blonde"...btw, I am not...have light highlights but definitely not a blonde! Belle was all about her kids....and dang did she love them to the max. We had a great time in Seattle... Belle, Amber (her daughter) and I. The huge smile on her face as we watched the Nutcracker will always be a part of me. I especially remember, though, the last time we vacationed together....Leavenworth, 2013.....when Carolyn (another member here), Belle and I shared an evening in the condo talking about cancer, treatments, etc. and our conversation turned to tears and laughter. Belle went on to write about that evening in one of her blogs (http://colonclub.com/was-it-worth-it/).

Towards the end of the day, a day that was supposed to rain but instead remained sunny, after we had celebrated Belle's life with tears, stories and some lighthearted tales, we walked to the back of the property...to Belle's garden, and watched as her husband, her son and daughter and very close friends, dug a hole and planted a tree.....a tree to honor Belle. They then spread some of Belle's ashes around the tree.....now Belle will help that tree grow....she can help nurture it and will always be 'present' in that garden....close to her family....the one part of Belle's life that she held higher.....that was more important than anything else in her life.

Yes, this was a special day. I visited my parents home and the new owners allowed me to see the house...a house that I had not been inside of for 14 years. There were a few things about the house that were still my Mom and Dad's (they had the house built for them so picked out all the cabinets, flooring, etc.). The rhodies were still there, although much larger. My dad's sundial was still sitting in his garden....yep, this was my parent's house.....and it was a fitting way to complete that day. You see, when I went to Belle's house, I looked at the 'program' and realized that Belle passed away on my dad's birthday and here I was, culminating that day at my mom/dad's house. I am very glad that I went that day....because that day, all around a very difficult and sad day.....personally meant a lot to me.

The pictures in the following link are just a few snapshots from that day.....pictures of the centerpieces, Belle's garden, a table dedicated to Belle's advocacy and pictures of her family. I also took a picture of the program (you will likely have to enlarge it ) for all to read. As I was hobbling around and using a cane that day, I wasn't able to take pictures so would like to thank both Anita and Steve (SaveMy Archie) who shared some of their photos with me so that I could post them here. Finally, a few weeks ago, I decided to ask this man I had met at the local Farmer's Market to make a birdhouse in Belle's honor. I recently picked it up and you will see a picture of it as well. I am not sure if I will drive down or just send it to the family.....but I know that Belle would love to have some birds make a home in a birdhouse, dedicated to her.....close by in her own garden.

Belle....you are a hero to all of us. To me, though, you were a wonderful friend and I will always miss you.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1wgbiLAM2Ssfk5MOHZRSUxVMEJmVFdfdzRzY01tUnlJWGgtWUVGcUk5MDdvWjllT1BTTmc&usp=sharing
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

michelle c

Re: Belle's Celebration of Life Ceremony

Postby michelle c » Thu May 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this with us - it was lovely written. What a beautiful day in Belle's honor. She will be sadly missed - my heart goes out to her family - her husband and her beautiful children.

Sounds like it was an emotional day for you - with your parents as well.

What a lovely idea to have a birdhouse made - her family will love it - it's beautiful. I definitely think that you should deliver it in person - her family would appreciate your very kind and thoughtful gesture and I'm sure it would mean so very much to them to have you deliver it in person too.

Thanks again for sharing - what a beautiful story. So very sad that Belle has gone but she will live on in the hearts of those who loved her ❤️❤️❤️
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu May 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you for sharing that Jaynee ... especially
" Belle....you are a hero to all of us. To me, though, you were a wonderful friend and I will always miss you. "

Belle did touch everyone she met and will always be a friend to us all....
and will be missed by all ... always.

BELLE Strong !

Harmony
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Maddielolo

Postby Maddielolo » Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 pm

So glad you shared all that... Thank you

Ajane

Postby Ajane » Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Thank you for sharing, Jaynee. It seems to me in many ways this was quite cathartic for you. So glad you got to go.
7/13, T2, G3, Ultra-low. CEA 5.7 KRAS Wild, MSS
8-9/13 6 wks Xeloda/radiation
12/13 TEM pCR NED
5/15 CEA 4.6 PET 1.5 cm met, UL Lobectomy
6-10/15: Rounds 1-2 Xelox+Avastin; 3-8 Folfox+Avastin
10/15-4/16: 12 rounds Avastin
9/2016 CEA 4.2, 12 mm AP node
11/2016 CEA 4.3. PET/CT. 16mm AP nodal met removed
4 wks chemorad
2/2017 NED CEA 2.4
Carafate to tx esophageal ulcers caused by rad
Avastin maintenance postponed

2 Corinthians 12:9

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Just making sure that you are able to view the pictures. Are you able to open them?
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks so much for sharing. That couldn't have been easy. Although I joined too late to get to know Belle, I've read her wonderful blog posts and enjoyed her warmth and wisdom.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Just making sure that you are able to view the pictures. Are you able to open them?

Yup.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri May 22, 2015 3:16 am

Weisssoccermom, I have an appreciation for the time & effort it takes to put together a post like that...sorting one's thoughts, putting the right words together. Enjoyed it very much, touching...thank you. The birdhouse is a wonderful testament to the friendship the two of you shared & a bright spot for her yard/garden & for her family. It is bright, yet earthy & unique which seems quite fitting. I hope this gift of friendship in her memory brings some measure of comfort to her family & to you . It would for me.
Best Wishes

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:15 am

Thank you for sharing. Belle strong.
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing isn't it funny how time slips away?
Pollo65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Fri May 22, 2015 9:42 am

So beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! I wish I could have met Belle! Her legacy will live on! :D
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 am

Steve was kind enough to send me a copy of the program. Then, last week, he stayed with us for one night while he was back in NY--attending his PhD. graduation! He told me all about the memorial. I'm so glad so many of Belle's friends were able to attend.

She was a truly remarkable woman, universally admired and respected on this board, as I'm sure was the case in all other aspects of her life.

We cherish the memories as we move on...
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Fri May 22, 2015 10:19 am

Thank you for this post. Very beautifully worded and the pictures were really touching. Belle truly put a face on cancer, it happens to real people with real families and who have real hopes and dreams.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am

Thank you for sharing this day with us, Jaynee. I think of Belle often. I think of her family and I hope that they're doing well. Belle was so special and touched so many of us.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”