Just a reminder

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Just a reminder

Postby justin case » Sat May 09, 2015 1:55 pm

I have never been classified as well to do, or endowed with an unlimited budget. Many of us find it hard to make ends meet during our struggle through this disease. Sometimes little things we do for ourselves, can give a much better outlook
on the path yet travelled. I haven't even been to Galveston, less than 60 miles away, since I got out of surgery. Efforts to preserve a genuine comfortable environment, for my wife, have been utmost on my mind, should I pass .
Wages and salaries differ all around our nation, and what is one man's cactus, is cherished ,just as much as someone's orchard. Cancer doesn't have favorites, everyone has their experience.
Bro Nut ,JIC,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Re: Just a reminder

Postby peanut_8 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Cactus jealousy?
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat May 09, 2015 2:18 pm

peanut_8 wrote:Cactus jealousy?

Just tired, of thinking about all that goes with the daily life of a cancer patient. There really is no solace in daily activity, as the cloud over your head travels into every decision you make.
No my dear Peanut,
I'm just exhausted.
Bro Nut
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Danieljt

Postby Danieljt » Sat May 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I think I no exactly how you feel Michael. It seems the negative days are overtaking the positive days. Even if we have our disease under control there are so many things that have to be taken care of. With my husband n I both having cancer I'm trying to get things in order.i can just see him going nuts looking for things if I'm gone first. Being that our children are grown it does take the pressure off a little. When I just sit around I think the world is passing me by. That I should always be doing something or I'm wasting a good day. But I'm just worn out by everything. Have a nice weekend.
Jackie
70 male stage 3b cc
Dx 5/9/14
Resection 7/1/14
dx 9/14
65 yr wife DLCl
Sct 3/21/19 Ned last 8 mo.

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Sat May 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Jackie, you've stated it perfectly. If I give in to my fatigue and watch tv, I feel I've wasted precious time. But I'm just too tired a lot to do something productive or meaningful.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Thinking of you, hope your day get better.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jalusa

Postby jalusa » Sat May 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Define doing something meaningful. I think the same way but I end up looking forward to the couch and blanket at the end of the day.
Hoping to get to resection with HAI pump.
Failed PVE - Searching for options
Chemo for life

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Sat May 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Wow, and I thought it was just me. I'm tired too trying to figure out how to negotiate my new life. The couch has become my new friend but I would like one that talks :shock:
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun May 10, 2015 1:43 am

Love you hon :) I have never had much money especially since I can't work, my parents never had much either. Somehow we manage but it's not easy. I have not Pais any medical since last year. Hoping I will be able to get ssdi and be able to get things paid. Until then, just scraping by it's still not enough right now :(

Sadly, sometimes I think it would be better without me here to save money, but don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun May 10, 2015 11:40 am

Yes, Michael, it's a big load for one to carry around on one's back. I've often wondered if in the overall scheme of things, we're all just a bunch of bugs.

We were fortunate to have good insurance & coughed up the hefty premiums. Working the daily grind + overtime to tread water, put a little away, gets old pretty quickly. Applaud you for your concerns regarding the welfare of your wife in the forefront of your thoughts. I've often had fun entertaining the thought: if you don't have $10.00, spend $20! :lol: However I didn't live by that motto, sometimes you'd like to. Wonder what's worse for the patient should it come to that: not leaving enough behind or leaving too much to spend. Give yourself a crumb. Take that drive to Galveston, my brother.

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

momof3

Postby momof3 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:11 pm

I agree with bs.

My husband is always worried about expenses and bills. Always has been really, but now I kind of hide the debt. We don't splurge and waste money, but I insist on inexpensive trips, weekends away, fun days. Screw the housework, yard work and bills..I believe in making memories and having fun. I think it's important. You don't have to spend a lot to have fun. Many (responsible) people don't understand , but I had a conversation with a lady that got it. Her teenage son died of cancer. He fought for 8 years. She was a single mom of two. She opened an "emergency" credit card. Those emergencies involved taking him and his friends to concerts, to a favorite restaurant, etc. She's still paying it off without regret.

Go live!
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Sun May 10, 2015 12:52 pm

momof3 wrote:I agree with bs.

My husband is always worried about expenses and bills. Always has been really, but now I kind of hide the debt. We don't splurge and waste money, but I insist on inexpensive trips, weekends away, fun days. Screw the housework, yard work and bills..I believe in making memories and having fun. I think it's important. You don't have to spend a lot to have fun. Many (responsible) people don't understand , but I had a conversation with a lady that got it. Her teenage son died of cancer. He fought for 8 years. She was a single mom of two. She opened an "emergency" credit card. Those emergencies involved taking him and his friends to concerts, to a favorite restaurant, etc. She's still paying it off without regret.

Go live!

This is so on point! I totally agree with you....I have never been attached to money but it is a necessary evil. I have a huge deductible and with two surgeries in the last quarter of 2014 and then treatment in 2015, we had to meet two deductibles back to back. I called all my providers and set up payment plans and do my best to lives within our means, but I won't give up on taking my kids to concerts, doing inexpensive outings and living life. We also do a lot of free stuff - "family hikes", barbecue with friends at homes, etc., but I refuse to let cancer take down my whole family It can fight with me, but not them.

We have wanted to spend the month of July in San Diego for several years now but could never afford it. Now that I have HIPEC surgery July 10th in San Diego, my family will get their wish! I guess I need to take a positive spin on that one - I may be in the hospital but my kids will also get to enjoy the beach with their dad while I recuperate.
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
10/23/14 - Colon Resection - Stage II - 0/15 lympth nodes
12/30/14 - Stage IV - 1 liver met 2cc - Liver Resection - No lymph nodes and margins clear
3/10/15 - peri mets
3/15 - Folfox with Avastin - 7 tx
7/15 - HIPEC - 2 peri mets
10/14 - resection of abdominal met
11/12 - 5FU

nitebreez

Postby nitebreez » Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes,...I TOTALLY understand about teeny, tiny, microscopic budgets!!!! Being retired on a super-tiny little "fixed" income, I too am very aquainted with sqeezing the holy daylights out of a penny. I don't even own a car. That may well work in my favor in a sense,...as I get out and do a LOT of walking (keeps the body trim and toned). Free exercise.

I think about how folks spend a lot of money to exercise at gyms,.....when I can just kick the door open, and take off. :lol:

It gets hard at times, though. I'm still on old slow dialup with several older computers (that I've put together from Ebay parts). I've been wanting to enter the 21st century, and get high speed internet,...but the budget won't alllow it. But I keep dreaming.

Then I get worried about not having "final plans" in order, if I should (heaven forbid) ever get out of NED. I don't want my daughter having to do any financial worries at the last minute. So that's my mental struggle right now. I want to enjoy having some things like the high speed internet,....but the teeny-tiny little budget may only stretch to providing for the final plans.

I used to live in South East Texas btw. Corpus Christi was my home town. Go to Galveston if you can.
T4a-Nx-M0 cc (perforated colon) Septic shock
2/19/13 emergency surgery/colostomy
4/13/13 colostomy reversed (reconnected!)
1/22/14 folfox completed
3/3/14 CT Scan NED
4/15/16 CEAs still low

momof3

Postby momof3 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Rwightman - good luck with the surgery,hope it means a cure for you and i hope you get some time to enjoy the beach too!

Become friendly with the social workers at your facility. Ours has been a godsend. There are agencies out there that want to help. It makes people feel good to help. Our social worker signed us up with an organization that contacts sports teams, concert halls, zoos, etc to ask for tickets for patients and their families. We have been able to see 3 or 4 different shows, a trip to the zoo, a minor league baseball game and a children's museum.
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”