Post surgery recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johnmeissner

Post surgery recovery

Postby johnmeissner » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:31 am

It is now 36 days after my colon resection surgery. To refresh: I was diagnosed July 13th at stage 1, with a single cancerous polyp in the sigmoid colon. What was expected to be a simple, straightforward resection (If there is such a thing)lasted 5 1/2 hours. Besides taking two feet of my colon, the surgeons also took care of some adhesions I had from a 1968 appendectomy and also put my colon where it actually belongs, after finding it tucked behind my spleen and ribs. (Surgeon said it was probably there from birth.) I spent 10 days in the hospital, then another 3 weeks recovering at home, before my wife, our two dogs and I moved to Kearney, Nebraska.

Here's what I am experiencing now: I still get pretty sore in the small of my back if I stand too long, or walk too much on really hard surfaces. And although I feel like I am getting my strength and endurance back close to normal levels, there are times where things don't seem "quite right." Last night I fell asleep without my binder on. I woke up in the middle of the night and my abdomen felt like it was sliding towards my toes, so I put it on and felt a lot better. This weekend was also the first one traveling with my hockey team and things went pretty well. I do get help taking my stuff off the bus and getting it to where it needs to go, so that was a big help. (The surgeon told me in our last visit before my move, that I should wait about a month more before doing any heavy lifting.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences about and related to mine, regarding heavy lifting, traveling, wearing an abdominal binder or anything else you think I might expect.

Thanks for listening, thanks for sharing.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:50 am

I had a lot of back pain also, it was actually the reason I took the pain pills they gave me when I was released from the hospital. I don't think I was used to laying on my back for that long. But I think I didn't really start to move a lot until the first month was over. When I finally could get out and move around I did a lot of walking (More than I do now) Hopefully it will get better for you with time. As for lifting I was banned on lifting anything ove 25 pounds from January until April, I guess the Dr didn't want any strain on his work. I did squeeze a vacation in during that time and my son wouldn't let me carry anything. Hope you feel better soon. But if your pain persists or if it is really bad I would see a Dr or contact your surgeon and ask him about it. That is a time in my life I would gladly forget and I am sure others would too and my memory of that period may be clouded.

Leann

stage 2

Postby Leann » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:27 am

I have been reading the posts and I have also posted a few times. I had surgery 7/3, a ft and a half of colon removed along with a polyp in the cecum area. 23 nodes were removed, none were positive. I also had scar tissue from a previous appendectomy. My surgeon told me to take it easy, healing takes a long time. I have strained myself twice doing what I shouldn't!! Senior moments!! The pain was mild to severe at times. I can do most things but will not lift anything heavy ever again!! I have had pains in the area of my incision and dr said keloid scar. It happens. But all in all, I feel fine, chemo is going well, no side effects, just seeing so many hairs in brush is a bummer. I still have a long way to go with my treatments, had only 3 so far. I had to postpone 2 appts. due to a cold and a tropical storm. Hope we don't get anymore hurricanes this year. But in Florida you can never tell. We've been lucky this year.
Good luck with your recovery, John.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 am

Hi John,

I had a sigmoid resection in January. I had the pain in the small of my back too, but over time, maybe 3 months it got better. I have small children so I was always lifting them, nothing else though. Even now I am a bit paranoid about lifting.

I started chemo in March, so I have not been working at building up strength. 2 more treatments and then it will be off to the gym to start feeling normal.

Everything "works" fine. I find that I need to "go" a few times a day instead of once a day, but I guess there is not as much room for things to accumulate.

I find now that I don't think much about the surgery anymore. It is starting to fade in my memory as life is returning to normal.

I hope you too, find and enjoy a new normal.

Sharon

cw

Resection and back pain

Postby cw » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 pm

I had a sigmoid resection on 9.22.06 as a result of scar tissue blockage from diverticulitis. I am 38, so a little young for this procedure compared to what is typical. I had about a foot taken out. I had a post-operative hematoma that got infected and had to be drained by CT guided catheter and had an incision site infection as well, so I spent a total of over two weeks in the hospital. My biggest complaint has been low back pain and it continues, especially if I walk much. I am back at work for the first days this week, and seem to feel okay until late afternoon. I have hydrocodone, but am relying on ibuprofen, which seems to work as well. I'm very hopeful that the low back pain is transitory.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”