Help!! Pain Relief from Rectal Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Circle of Angels

Help!! Pain Relief from Rectal Cancer

Postby Circle of Angels » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Hello There,

Our friend is going through a lot of pain due to pressure of the tumor sitting on her rectum. She is on Oxycodon (sp?), Oxycodeine and morphine but the side effects is inducing vomiting. She constantly sits on a heating pad and takes long baths to ease the pain but it is only temporary. Is anyone out there that has experienced the same pain and have tried something else besides pain killers? She is losing a lot of weight because of the constant vomiting and we are very concerned!!!!

Circle of Friends for A
female, 29 yrs old
second primary
stage IV rectal cancer, mets to liver, non-operable
no surgery yet completed
folfiri, folfox, xeloda

justsing

Re: Help!! Pain Relief from Rectal Cancer

Postby justsing » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I was having some hip and groin pain from swollen lymph nodes and a hematoma, and the palliative care team gave me lidocaine transdermal patches. They worked very well. Give it a shot!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

gofisch

Postby gofisch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm

My GI gave me lidocaine (sp?) gel that I apply inside. It helps on contact!
Frances
47, Mom
Rectal tumor (stage III) 1/31/08
6 weeks radiation/5Fu
LAR w/ loop ileo May/08
Folfox 7/08-1/09
Done with chemo 1/2/09!!!
Reversal 10/8/09, ileus, blockage, resection, home after 30 days!
4 years NED!

Polarprincess

Postby Polarprincess » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 pm

I worry about her- with all those narcotics she may end up with constipation which happened to me and brought on ever more problems..hopefully she is using a stool softener. but anyway....I recently posted the radiation hell post and have had some severe trouble with rectal pain due to radiation, and terrible hemorrhoids. I got some lidocaine gel as well, but because i had so many open cuts and raw skin it burned horribly for me. My doctors called the local pharmacy to find out what they recommended. they have had great luck with a compound of amitriptyline and baclofen and it is specific for rectal pain. the amitryptiline is an antidepressant which you would think weird for rectal pain but it is a nerve blocker, and the baclofen is a muscle relaxer. This was my miracle drug. After weeks of misery and hell, this is what finally brought me relief.
42 y/o Diagnosed Stage IIIa (T1 N1 of 26 M0) July 2008
LAR July 24 2008
Supposedly benign polyp with
invasive tubulovillous adenocarcinoma
12 cycles Fulfox
28 days chemoradiation
Finished April 20th 2009
Currently NED

circle of angels

Postby circle of angels » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for the replies, anyone out there that was the same as our friend "A" who is around 29 yrs old, stage IV rectal cancer, mets to liver, non-operable that have bounced back? Which chemo regimen did you do? We are really interested to hear about the regimen that worked for you and what did not work for you as well as side effect.

As for the lidocaine gel, it sounds like this really worked out for a few of you...anyone else it worked for? Any try accupuncture and it helped with the pain?????

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! WE JUST NEED ANSWERS FOR OUR DEAR "A"

XOXO
Circle of Angels

"A"
29 yrs old, stage IV rectal canger
Second primary lesion, with in operable liver mets
Xeloda, Avastin, Folfiri, folfox
fenadyl patch, morphin, oxycodone, oxycodeine

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Postby KellyBelle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:46 am

I use a rectal analgesic cream called LidaZone HC --it's a suppository-type cream and works on contact.
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

eitter

Postby eitter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm

Wow I could have written your SAME words a few years a go, I am also a rectal cancer survivor and you can read my astory on my website belwo and it outlines all I have done and been through and I am still here, might be good for your friends to read to, there is hope!

I have Chronic pain and see a pain management doctor monthly now and my drug of choice is Percocet and my body handles it very well now, at first I always took it with SOMETHING cracker, part of a banana and now my body just takes it fine. I also have used a newer time released drug Kadian.

Any other questions, just ask.
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:01 pm

What is Kadian? Do you take it with the percocet or in place of it?

I am just trying the lidoderm patches... not doing it for me...at least not yet... I'll keep trying.

I am miserable.......:(
DX Rectal Cancer July 2005, age 32
Chemorads, FOLFOX, Xeldoa
5 Surgeries and 100+ nights in hospital
due to continuing blockages.

eitter

Postby eitter » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:44 am

Kadian is a time released paim medication or so they say. I have tried it, but I am not full convinced that it works, maybe it would for someone else, but I still got the best relief from Percocet. I wish I could find something else or go without, but then I would be in misery all day, it really SUCKS(could use other words), Chronic pain is the worst!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

3suns

Postby 3suns » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:05 pm

I know this is an old post but I tried the Lidocaine(Xylocaine) for rectal pain after BM. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. What did work was Indomethacin suppositories. They come in 50mg and 100mg doses. 50mg last about 4-5 hours for me(240 lbs) which is as long as I need for the pain to settle down. Indomethacin is an NSAID and didn't cause constipation like the opioid based drugs did for me. The medication kicked in fairly quickly too, 10-15 mins.
male - 53
Oct 29, 2015 DX anal adenocarcinoma; Stage I, T2, N0, M0 (my est)
Nov 18,2015 - Dr. changed prognosis to rectal adenocarcinoma
Dec 3, 2015 -After CT and MRI staging estimated to be from Stage 2a, T3N0M0 to Stage 3b, T3N1M0
Seeing Chemo/Radiologist Onc's Dec8-9, Surgeon Dec 14; Treatment TBD

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”