Oxyplatin advice ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Girl111

Oxyplatin advice ?

Postby Girl111 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi all

My dad had a sec opinion today and the onco has suggested a chemo called oxyplatin along with nano knife . I was wondering if anyone has had success with this drug ?

Tina
Dad diagnosed stage 3 cc nov 13
Bowel resection march 14
Started xeloda
1 liver met and 1 node ( small)
Started irinotecan - failed
Poss nano knife now and oxyplatin
Hope the chem works !

GrouseMan

Re: Oxyplatin advice ?

Postby GrouseMan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Oxaliplatin is the drug used most often with 5-FU and Leucovorin or Xeloda as first line treatment for CRC. A large number of people here are either on it or have had it. As for its effectiveness for some rather good. It all depends on the details of your dad's diagnosis. Your signature doesn't say much about it except for it being Dukes C? This isn't the normal staging most of us are use to seeing and off hand I am not sure what to compare that to. You also need to define what you mean by success. Will it cure him? Depends..

But if the oncologist recommends he be on it. In all likelihood he should be. There are not many first line treatments to chose from. Later its possible they could perhaps add Avastin to the mix.

There are serious side effects associated with Oxaliplatin. The links provided by ritz75 should be a good start towards letting you know what to expect. Your dad's oncologist should have gone over this with him.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Yes I had 6 months of FOLFOX which also includes Oxplatin. Guess I'm surprised he has not got this chemo regiment yet as it is standard first line chemo. Did you dad get any chemo? As GrouseMan suggested, can you give us more infor on your Dad's condition so that we all might understand better. Staging, chemo regiments, surgeries, etc.

Glad to hear your Dad got a 2nd opinion.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Scroll to bottom of page for dukes staging

http://www.hopkinscoloncancercenter.org ... F1984D20C7

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:14 pm

That would be a stage III. Since her Dad will be getting the nano knife I assume there is a met somewhere else. Which means he is now a stage IV.

Again, we need more info on what is going on.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

O Stoma Mia

TNM vs. Dukes staging

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Lee wrote:That would be a stage III. Since her Dad will be getting the nano knife I assume there is a met somewhere else. Which means he is now a stage IV... Again, we need more info on what is going on...Lee

Girl111 wrote:Thx all .
I need to change the signature . He was stage 3 but a recent scan showed a liver met so I think that makes it stage 4 .

You can change your signature by clicking on the link below. It looks like the original staging was Stage 3a, and now, after re-staging, the stage is still Stage 3a, but is phrased as, "Stage 3a (recurrent) with mCRC (mets) to liver".

Edit Signature
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

The correspondence between the Dukes' system and the American TNM system is given below.

You can see from the diagram above that Dukes' C1 is roughly equivalent to what the TNM system would call Stage 3-A.

Staging and Recurrence - no, you don't "move up" to Stage IV
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366&start=15#p208695
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Girl111

Postby Girl111 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 pm

I need to can he the signature .

Yes initially was stage 3, but then whilst on xeloda he had a liver met and 1 node

He was switched to irinotecan, which again failed as they grew slightly ( still under 2 cm) and an additional sub pleural nodule .

So his old onco said can't do nothing and discharged him as thought he's chemo resistant .but we got a second opinion and the new onc said we needs to try Oxiplatain .

But I'm extremley worried thinking he is resistant to all chemo given 2 have not worked prior.

Sarah
Bowel resection march 14
Started xeloda
Hope the chem works !

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Girl111 wrote:He was switched to irinotecan, which again failed as they grew slightly ( still under 2 cm) and an additional sub pleural nodule .

But I'm extremley worried thinking he is resistant to all chemo given 2 have not worked prior.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, this is the type of info some of us need to see. Most of us are not Dr. (but some are). But many of us have walked in the shoes you are in now (the journey). When we see certain buss words, we can relate. That is why a signature line is so important. Many people do not check this site daily, BUTT they are still a wealth of information, SIMPLY because they have already walked in your shoes. And when they see something you (or your Dad) are dealing with, they have a knowledgeable response. Please update your signature line.

If you are unsure how to do it, let us know. There are many people here t help you (and your Dad).

Thinking of you both,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Girl111 wrote:
Yes initially was stage 3, but then whilst on xeloda he had a liver met and 1 node

Sarah

Sorry this should have also been included in my last post.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Girl111

Postby Girl111 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:32 am

Thx all - signature edited
Bowel resection march 14
Started xeloda
Hope the chem works !

John212

Postby John212 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:44 pm

One of the most common concerns about treatment involving Oxaliplatin is the likelihood of developing Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. I've been doing a fair amount of research into this problem lately as I have it and want to try to heal it as much as possible. Since your father is about to begin treatment, there are some possibilities to consider during treatment that might reduce the chance of developing neuropathy. Below are links to two articles that could be very useful to you and his oncologist in this regard. Neuropathy can be a quite uncomfortable condition and anything you all can do that might prevent its onset is worth doing. The third article presents information on the problem in general as well as a solid review of possible treatments should the neuropathy develop.

Successful Treatment of Oxaliplatin-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy with Naturopathy

Prevention and Management of Chemotherapy-Induced-Peripheral Neuropathy in Survivors of Adult Cancers: ASCO Clinical Practice Guideline

Complementary Therapies for Chemo-Neuropathy: an Integrative Oncologist's Bag of Tricks
62 y/o male at dx
1/14/14 - colonoscopy shows tumor
1/28/14 - colon resection; dx T3N1 distal sigmoid cancer
2/19/14 - insert chemo port
3/18/14 - begin 12 rds FOLFOX w/ 5FU
2/05/15 - 1st time NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”