Is the cannabis cure losing steam?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ScottNM

Re: Is the cannabis cure losing steam?

Postby ScottNM » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:41 pm

The pothead cartel is wanting you to believe it is the cure all. I am moderate and do think it helps with nausea and appetite.

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 am

I am distrustful of anything being "the cure", natural or latest bazillion dollar geno-immuno-pharmaceutical in an infomercial. *Everything* we've seen has had its own properties and sometimes partial success. It would be better if people were attentive to distinct, favorable changes - e.g. less nausea, slower biomarker (e.g CEA, CA199, CA72-4, TPS, LDH/LDH5) climb or improved MCV over the months, unusual scan changes, improved blood work (WBC, RBC, platelets, ESR, liver panel, PT/INR, aPTT, D-dimer) and shared those over time.

If people could collect enough single base hits maybe we would eventually see some extra innings and RBI.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

AngelaN
Facebook Username: angelamnicholas

Postby AngelaN » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:28 am

Where can you buy the CBD online? I looked all over and can only find the Hemp oil - which doesn't seem like the same product. I would consider making it but it seems too much like my organic chemistry lab...
DH diagnosed with Stage 4 CRC Nov 2013
11 tx Folfox/Avastin; LAR/liver resection/introp RF of liver - May 2014
3 treatments FOLFIRI
Lung resection - Sept 2014
FOLFIRI + Avastin x 10 treatments
Avastin+5FU q3 weeks x 4
SBRT x 1 lung met
RFA for remaining 3 in Oct and Nov
SBRT for liver met Jan 16
lung mets growing
Enrolled in NIH TIL trial Oct 16
XRT for lung met 12/16
Cells didnt grow for TIL trial Feb 17
Waiting for NCT03085914 at Penn

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:04 pm

GrouseMan,

Can you explain the cold intolerance? How does it work and how do you think it wold manifest itself or show symptoms? Hot or cold? I am freezing all the time. I thought it was chemo (FOLFIRI and Avastin), low blood pressure, etc. Now, I'm thinking maybe its the CO.

cb
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Angela,

I don't know if I would trust something online. Are you in a legal state? You can try a dispensary. Also, google something called weed maps.

cb
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013

KWT

Postby KWT » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm always cold too.

AngelaN
Facebook Username: angelamnicholas

Postby AngelaN » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:25 pm

@cb...No, not a legal state so our options are limited. I wonder if I could get my 78 year old mother to make the oil for us.
DH diagnosed with Stage 4 CRC Nov 2013
11 tx Folfox/Avastin; LAR/liver resection/introp RF of liver - May 2014
3 treatments FOLFIRI
Lung resection - Sept 2014
FOLFIRI + Avastin x 10 treatments
Avastin+5FU q3 weeks x 4
SBRT x 1 lung met
RFA for remaining 3 in Oct and Nov
SBRT for liver met Jan 16
lung mets growing
Enrolled in NIH TIL trial Oct 16
XRT for lung met 12/16
Cells didnt grow for TIL trial Feb 17
Waiting for NCT03085914 at Penn

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:37 pm

I am one of the people still standing who was actually at Woodstock and actually made it thru some time in Viet Nam. I can assure that pot did not prevent my cancer.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 pm

I decided to post todaybecause I started using cannabis oil last evening and thought somebody else might be able to use this info. My signature pretty much says it all. I have 2 enlarged lymph nodes that are growing albeit slowly and discussed when to go back on chemo. I grew 2 plants and had a little over 1lb. I decided instead of doing nothing I would try oil. First I must admit that I am a lightweight, I vapor ize for pain and sleep.
I decided to take the oil (smaller than a grain of rice) and very shortly feel asleep. I woke up 3 hours later watched parenthood and feel back asleep until 5:30. Woke up feeling fluey (hangover) I continue to feel logey but a bit better.
I am hoping that it is a matter of getting used to the substance and feeling better soon.
Will keep you updated.
Pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:21 pm

So you made your own oil, was that pretty easy? I guess you know it's good when that small amount puts you out.

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Husband makes it all the time. He puts coconut oil in a crock pot with clippings and cooks it for a few hours. Then he puts it into gel caps. or cools it and makes it into a rub with other ingredients and essential oils. son liked the capsules best.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Pollo,

Take it slow. It takes time to get used to it. It's not easy. If you want to chat, let me know. I can call...

Carmen <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013

davesteve

Postby davesteve » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

AngelaN wrote:Where can you buy the CBD online? I looked all over and can only find the Hemp oil - which doesn't seem like the same product. I would consider making it but it seems too much like my organic chemistry lab...

You can buy pure CBD on line from any state you live in. Some call it "Hemp Oil". Extracted CBD is NOT marijuana. It is one compound from the plant and NOT the illegal one, so anybody over 18 can order it. Just "google" CBD extract and you'll get a list of places (mostly California). Buyer beware! Very little regulation or established minimum standards in this new business.
Anything with THC in it, is illegal...federally (and most states) and can't be shipped. Unfortunately, most of the latest research shows that CBD is more effective with an almost equal amount of THC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
exaussie wrote:Husband makes it all the time. He puts coconut oil in a crock pot with clippings and cooks it for a few hours. Then he puts it into gel caps. or cools it and makes it into a rub with other ingredients and essential oils. son liked the capsules best.

Technically speaking, this would not be RSO (Rick Simpson Oil). The cannabis is drawn into the oil and that mixture is consumed. Even when using 100% high grade buds (opposed to clippings,etc.) these caps can't be made as potent as "real" oil, although they are very good if you can't smoke or vaporize and they last longer than smoking. Definitely try these! Especially for sleep aid.

Real "Oil" is made with a solvent, which is needed to extract maximum THC. Rick used Naptha. Some use Isopropyl alcohol or Butane. Some use Everclear 190proof.(the safest I think)
Pre-heated cannabis is dumped in a container, the solids are removed and the liquid is boiled down until the alcohol is gone. Many compounds in the plant are lost with this extreme method (unless you have $$$$ in equipment) and you are left with a very potent concentrate (gummy oil) that could be 50 to 80% THC! Ten times stronger than your average joint. If you are not used to it, one gram will freak you out, be careful.

The dilemma becomes:...
So if you believe in the CBD to THC theory, that they should be approx. 1 to 1 ratio, you would have to make a RSO that gets the CBD level to 50-80%. That may be possible in a million dollar lab, but very, very hard to do at home if not impossible.

Or, you could do it all. A CBD supplement (or strain) AND a daily oil dose...and a few coconut oil caps, if tolerated
Last edited by davesteve on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:44 pm

davesteve wrote:
AngelaN wrote:Where can you buy the CBD online? I looked all over and can only find the Hemp oil - which The dilemma becomes:...
So if you believe in the CBD to THC theory, that they should be approx. 1 to 1 ratio, you would have to make a RSO that gets the CBD level to 50-80%. That may be possible in a million dollar lab, but very, very hard to do at home if not impossible.

Of you could do it all. A CBD supplement (or strain) AND a daily oil dose...and a few coconut oil caps, if tolerated

Not a million dollar lab. I could probably do it for under a few thousand and borrowed or leased equipment. Analytical work I could likely send out to have run. Proper extraction equipment would cost a couple hundred dollars. Solvent could probably be recycled multiple times perhaps. Chromatography separation might be via normal phase chromatography on silica gel, or perhaps via gas chromatography on a semi prep scale. Off hand Diethylether or hexanes are likely the preferred extraction solvent via continuous solvent extraction. Filter through silica to hold up all the tar like stuff, and further purification via fractional vacuum distillation may be?

I have done extraction of natural products from podophylin resin from the American May apple to extract out the major podophylin molecules to use as a starting material for Etopiside like derivatives. At the time (28 years ago) was looking for better Topoisomerase II inhibitors to treat cancer. I isolated a couple hundred grams of material from about 5lbs of resin. Given proper equipment which really isn't that expensive and some training or previous experience its not all that hard. What is hard is finding high quality raw material and not getting busted for the quantities involved.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 pm

GrouseMan,

I have not seen you around for awhile.... so I am "Happy to see YOU"!
I also wanted to note that in looking at your signature regarding your lovely wife-
I am Very excited to see her spleen clear of mets and the CEA dropping off the map.
Good news on both counts :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14