Forbes - Immuno-oncology Story

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DK37

Forbes - Immuno-oncology Story

Postby DK37 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:43 am

Bruce Booth is one of the best connected people to the business of biotech – great new write up on the coming tidal wave of immune-oncology new therapies (many about to be published), from a VC business perspective (The story is from Forbes)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucebooth/ ... e-surface/

It is my personal believe that the oncology field 10 years from now will look completely different than it does now – using chemotherapy as the backbone of cancer treatment will look like the dark ages, similar to looking like the ancient medical history of iron lungs etc.

Just about every major company & research institute is spending vast amounts of money and strongly focusing their oncology scientists & scientific/financial resources on this research.

People ask me where my optimism comes from. In addition to Faith, this is where my optimism comes from. CRC is one of the tougher cases to crack with immune-oncology but with that amount of financial & scientific power thrown at the (large patient population in high need) problem, I can’t help but feel optimistic.

-DK
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

rp1954

Re: Forbes - Immuno-oncology Story

Postby rp1954 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 am

Hopefully a bigger wave will be everybody reading Maia's link to Anticancer and getting their personal chemistry straight with respect to omega-3, transfats, carbs, processed foods, and hormones in nutrition. And colored plant food for crucial phytochemicals. Otherwise we are being programmed to feed one of the largest artificial profit centers in world history with our very bodies and children.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

DK37

Postby DK37 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:27 am

I personally believe strongly in integrated healhcare (I know & respect there is a range of opinions on this board).

As I replied to Maia's post - I am a HUGE fan of the Anti-Cancer book and have used it as a bible for my own care for over 2 years, switched to veganism, eat organic functional foods, using off-label generic drugs, alternative treatements, supplements etc - but I am also a scienstist and ignoring the incredible power of immno-oncology is IMHO a huge luddite mistake. Just my personal opinion, everyone is free to take or leave.
-DK
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

Maia

Postby Maia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Great article, thanks for posting, DK.
As I've said in the past -it's bittersweet to see the final acknowledge to the value of immunotherapies against cancer, only because, finally,it has been found how to make big money from it. (Something about its origins: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38885&p=377456#p377456 )
As someone who is a strong advocate of immunotherapies (as you can see for all my bothering posting over the issue, since I joined the forum! :P ), and someone who posted a link to that book a couple of times: I don't see an opposition between both approaches.

jgall

Postby jgall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 pm

I share your optimism, DK, about immunotherapy, I just hope it comes soon enough for you and many others on this board in relation to CRC. Sure seems a tough nut to crack indeed.

Thanks for posting this!
Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks for posting DK. Was a good read.

@jgall: Look forward to an update on your trial thread.

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”