Arthritis and hip and back pain after folfox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MamaN

Arthritis and hip and back pain after folfox

Postby MamaN » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 pm

I just had a MRI done on my hip ,it says I have tear and degeneration in hip . I already go to pain management for severe back pain. I saw a rheumy dr and says I have osteoarthritis . I was just wondering if any one else has experienced this kind of thing since being on chemo? Never had any of these problems before chemo. Was also wondering can be done to slow it down . Can't have any dairy since surgery...bad things happen !
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

ccpt1958

Re: Arthritis and hip and back pain after folfox

Postby ccpt1958 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 pm

I have arthritis in my right hip since completing 12 treatments of FOLFOX ( only the first 4 with oxaliplatin). I am 56, almost 57, so it's tempting to attribute it to age, but I was extremely active prior to my diagnosis, running half marathons, and taking long day hikes in the 10-16 mile range. I have really struggled with trying to remain active, and pain free and not damage my joints since completing chemo. I feel like I just now- nearly two years after having completed treatment- have a sense of the new me and how to work with my body. I have had to give up running- at least for now, but am doing yoga, hip strengthening PT and deep water running, in an effort to stay on the trails as a hiker. I have a great physical therapist, a helpful orthopedic surgeon and some dedicated yoga instructors who have worked with me, and helped me come up with a temporary plan to stay active outdoors. It takes a lot of commitment and flexibility- and a big change in attitude for me. I wish you all the best in finding a way to keep moving while managing your pain.
Last edited by ccpt1958 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
diagnosed stage IIIA 4/2012
sigmoid resection 4/2012
T2T1MO (only 4 lymph nodes harvested)
completed FOLFOX 11/2012
dropped oxy after the 4th treatment due to worsening neuropathy
NED until 6/22
anal cancer diagnosed 6/22

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Thank you for responding ! I was always very active walking , hiking ,
gardening, the more I did the worse I seemed to get, the back injections
helped a lot, felt like brand new. Now I'm only pain free when swimming or biking, I do a lot
of pt for back at home, I was wondering if something like Pilates might help
or hurt? Just stinks right now they told me I need to see a surgeon about the hip !
This all started after chemo was finished. I was 45 when it started.
Lymph vascular invasion

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 am

I have pain in my feet, back and hip. Severe degeneration of my spine was noted on CT scans. I'm positive that all my troubles started as a result of chemo.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

KWT

Postby KWT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 am

I got it in the shoulders really bad stiffness and pain. It seems starting back on xeloda it's creeping back in. So I'm now sure it's chemo that does this to us. Even if the doc says it doesn't. :twisted:

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:54 am

Totally agree I feel like a twenty year old in the body of a eighty year old! My onc finally admitted three yrs after chemo that the neuropathy in my feet is permanent ! Three yrs later really! My pcp thinks every is chemo related she said I was fine before chemo. This cold weather is not helping!
Lymph vascular invasion

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:07 am

Michelle C , so glad I heard from you always followed your journey on this board ,we kind of had similar journey. Quite an inspiration for me. Thank you for your posts
Lymph vascular invasion

CM35

Postby CM35 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 am

This past summer, when I was on FOLFIRI, I developed a lot of joint pain. In my fingers and wrists, and hips and ankles. I am a jogger, and depending on how my joints were, it just wasn't possible. I would walk instead, and even though it was frustrating, I just did what I was capable of on any one day. Some days were better than others. I did a lot of stretching exercises, I don't know if it helped a whole lot, but at least I felt like I was doing something. I had a 4 month chemo break, and the pain lessened quite a bit. One of my oncologists flat out told me the pain was caused by the chemo, but she told me to keep doing what I was capable of, she is a strong proponent of exercise and fitness.
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

ccpt1958

Postby ccpt1958 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:08 pm

I do a lot of yoga. I am lucky to live somewhere with a high number of alignment based Iyengar styled instructors who can help with modifications. I also worked with a physical therapist for several months last year when first diagnosed with left hip OA, and turned my PT exercises into a 30 minute yoga routine that I do at home. I purchased a foam belt and joined a gym and try to do deep water running 3X a week, and have started back with brisk walking, hoping to build up to decent hiking again. I did get trekking poles.

I miss running terribly- and moving with strength and intensity. It was a big part of who I am and how I think of myself. I was training for a rugged trail half marathon prior to diagnosis, so I too feel my hip arthritis is likely cancer treatment related. I am not a gym person, but someone who needs to be outdoors. I love wild and remote places. I have decided that if I can get back to hiking, I will make the shift to "not a runner." However, if hiking is not possible without a lot of pain, even after these modifications, I plan to have my hip replaced. I dread the idea of surgery. I have a little cancer treatment PTSD, but this is such an important quality of life issue for me. I want to be healthy and alive outdoors, actively engaged in the world.

Typing these words makes me feel both sad and hopeful.
Last edited by ccpt1958 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diagnosed stage IIIA 4/2012
sigmoid resection 4/2012
T2T1MO (only 4 lymph nodes harvested)
completed FOLFOX 11/2012
dropped oxy after the 4th treatment due to worsening neuropathy
NED until 6/22
anal cancer diagnosed 6/22

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Ccpt1958
I get what your saying! It's like you have to try to find a new normal! I keep fighting it every step of the way! I would love to be able to do all the things I used to do pain free, I'm also sad and hopeful too . Thank you
Lymph vascular invasion

KimT

Postby KimT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Chemo trashes the body. I have a spinal deformity in my lower back that has always given me problems. I emerged from chemo with so much more pain and pain in new places. I would second yoga. Yoga has been very healing for me. You need to see someone who can work with your issues and preferably someone trained in restorative yoga to start out and then move on to iyenger style with modifications. Yoga can do a lot of harm when not done properly. I'm nursing a hip injury from being too aggressive in a pose. My own fault. I feel so good with the yoga that sometimes I think I can do more than I can.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the advise . I've never heard of lyengar yoga I will definely look into it! I tried the live strong program at the y but I couldn't finish ,I was not moving properly on the equipment . Plus I was having some severe bowel issues at the time turned out to be c-diff. Oh well. I do a lot of stretching and very light weights right now. But this stupid hip thing is making me nervous.
Lymph vascular invasion

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Sorry that was a double post
Last edited by MamaN on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lymph vascular invasion

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:30 pm

I saw hip surgeon today . What an ass ! I told him I was at my quota for injections for the year! What does he do gives me a bursa injection! Twisted my leg around in million different directions. Now I can't walk on the friggin leg and I'm in so much pain I can't sleep! I have had all this left side pain since my chemo! I just want to able to walk again and take a nice hike like I used too. Ugh now he wants me try pt . I made appt for pt soon as I left office but from what understand pt does not fix a labrum tear in hip. He really did not want to listen to me I hate drs Like this...didn't even want to hear how I slipped and fell in parking lot in the rain and couldn't get up! Any advise?
Lymph vascular invasion

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm

I've found my doctors unsympathetic about my increased muscle and joint pain post chemo and radiation. Boo to them and to me. I was a yoga enthusiast prior to diagnosis, and have had to double down since. I find it very helpful Maybe you could look in to something like that MamaN.
cheers, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”