Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS !

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
B in Canada

Re: Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS !

Postby B in Canada » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:03 pm

crguy has mentioned the Inspire Health program in previous posts when I searched Inspire Health. I am going to look into it.
crguy= you did the 2 day program. What were/are your thoughts about it? I think I will do the 2 day program as the entire year 'program'/cost would not be as useful as I live in a Vancouver suburb and don't relish the thought of heading into Vancouver by car or transit :| , and couldn't take full advantage of all the different classes,etc. that they offer.
For everyone: they offer a free, Thursday 7pm PST online meditation class. I did it last Thursday evening as I lay in bed. I had to download an app for online webinars(?it told me what to do once I went to the link from them for meditation) on my tablet first, so go to the site 10 minutes beforehand. I will use headphones tonight as last time I could hear my youngest struggling to put the Christmas lights on the tree....LOL and on the phone to my sister talking about her crazy dream. I think I could really use the almost 45 minutes of calming down due to my stress of deciding whether or not to do Xeloda. (Note: I am not a meditation sort of person usually but figured it was free and couldn't hurt.) There was someone from Portland,USA on there. Most people 'chatted' where they were from. Anyone can do it I assume. http://www.inspirehealth.ca/online-meditation

"Our online meditation class is offered to anyone interested in finding out more about this kind of experience. It is open to any InspireHealth member, family member or friend, regardless of previous meditation experience. The class is guided by a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and a Registered Yoga Teacher with many years of experience teaching meditation.
Our aim is to provide a weekly group meditation where we practice ways to calm body and mind, and support personal harmony and balance, in the midst of our busy and sometimes chaotic everyday lives.
Please register for Online Meditation by entering your email address and then updating your InspireHealth profile to include Online Meditation as one of your interests. Each week you will receive am email reminder with a link to the class. Classes are held Thursdays from 7:00 – 7:45pm (Pacific Time)."
Positive FIT test Spring 2013(intermittent blood=of course thought it was hemorrhoid) & finally got appt with colo-rectal surgeon Dec.2013 & then colonoscopy Aug. 2014
Sigmoid resection (laparoscopic) Nov. 2014 T3N0M0=colon 2A Female 53 yrs. old
Choice of to take Capecitabine(Xeloda) or not: did 2 rounds and then had to quit due to many side-effects(still have auto-immune/drug-induced arthritis problems)
Colonoscopy Fall 2015(few polyps), Jan 2017(couple polyps); all scans/CEA/monitoring good :D

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

B in Canada wrote:crguy has mentioned the Inspire Health program in previous posts when I searched Inspire Health. I am going to look into it.
crguy= you did the 2 day program. What were/are your thoughts about it? I think I will do the 2 day program as the entire year 'program'/cost would not be as useful as I live in a Vancouver suburb and don't relish the thought of heading into Vancouver by car or transit :| , and couldn't take full advantage of all the different classes,etc. that they offer.

Hey B,

sorry not to log into your other topics before now ... BUTT I am heavy into renos and upgrades on a fixer house in TriCities area for my mother, and up to my colorectal BUTT in inspectors and Hydro crews ... battling the winds AND RAIN :shock: NO excuse I know :oops: :oops: :oops:

So : Inspire Health ? I liked the 2 day LIFE program, had some good talks with integrative docs as follow up ( joined them in 2012 after I had finished my own chemo for lung resection), did not find I was able to benefit from all their onsite programs due to working and distance. The 2 day does give a years membership so you still have access if you want to and can do the "virtual" consults with your own IH doc as I recall ????? I have done a bunch of meditations with other groups ( karate people, Taiji / Qigong, counsellors etc.) so I did not do any IH meditations. Their programs may have changed a bit since I was there but I would say give it a try for sure. They have a very supportive and comprehensive group of practitioners associated with the program and you will get lots of feedback about how to help yourself through this whole Journey.

I will log into your other topics later, but feel free to PM me anytime.
FYI I am BCCA graduate from 2007 and 2010 (Vancouver) and was caregiver for my father BCCA (Kelowna) and we have world class folks there looking after us, just so you know !

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

CRguy

Vitamin D RDAs petition

Postby CRguy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Sorry for being so lazy in not keeping this topic more current :oops:
BUTT .... !

All fellow Canucks please take note of a Petition and recent initiative.

Everyone can check out their website, sign the petition and see whatch'all think ????
The Pure North S’Energy Foundation is a chronic disease prevention program that uses research-based nutritional supplements.
We are Canada’s largest primary prevention focused not-for-profit organization.

CHRONIC DISEASE REDUCTION OBJECTIVES
THE BIG 4
Diabetes
Cancer
Cardiovascular disease
Mental health

disclaimer : I have NO connection to them and just FYI, they also offer paid services and products for sale, ... BUTT their website may be of interest to folks here, as we are on their BIG 4 list and the petition is directed at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in collaboration with Health Canada updating their Vitamin D RDA levels .... which would be of benefit to everyone I believe.

Cheers and Harmony Canuckians
CRguy

(( PS while you're at it you may also wish to check out GenomeBC
Their research initiatives are far reaching and have definite impact on health issues which WE encounter as CRC patients.... especially pharmacogenetics ! ))
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am

This seemed like the most appropriate thread to get fellow Canucks to join the Cancertainty campaign.

http://www.cancertaintyforall.ca
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Maia

Physician assisted dying

Postby Maia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:10 am

Supreme Court rules Canadians have right to doctor-assisted dying

Canadian adults in grievous, unending pain have a right to end their life with a doctor’s help, the Supreme Court ruled on Friday.

The unanimous ruling, by establishing that the “sanctity of life” also includes the “passage into death,” extends constitutional rights into a new realm. (...) The new ruling will change the way some Canadians are permitted to die.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e22828437/
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015 ... e-ban.html

Personally, I want to congratulate Canadians who made this possible.

"Why this top doctor's dying wish is for Canada to accept physician-assisted suicide"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/lif ... e14494074/

(2013; Dr. Donald Low, the face of Toronto’s response to SARS; diagnosed with a brain tumour in early 2013, he died inSeptember 2013)

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 pm

The fact that it was unanimous is mindblowing, given the high level of misinformation, emotion and sensitivity of the issue.
It restores my faith in the Supreme Court !

This decision removes an existing lower court ban on doctor's providing assistance in a patient's own suicide.
It does not promote nor enfranchise ANYBODY to do so.... neither doctor nor patient.
It does not legalize euthanasia : it allows someone in very specific circumstances, to seek assistance in their own suicide.

Sadly, we will now start the third round of fear tactics by ill informed zealots, who either can not or will not understand the essential difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide .... and who have never been in the exact situation themselves ... BUTT feel the need to control and decide morality for others.

The Carter and Taylor cases have crystallized an intelligent conversation and legal decision for Canadians.
Now we need to address the complexities of a Rodriguez type issue.

Thanks for posting this Maia.
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Health Canada "quarantines" Indian sourced drugs

Postby CRguy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 pm

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/05 ... -concerns/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/healt ... t-1.834675

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal ... 3a-eng.php
http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal ... 1a-eng.php

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal ... 5a-eng.php
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-c ... pa-eng.php
http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal ... 9a-eng.php
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-c ... ca-eng.php

The full story is yet to come ... just like any political / economic / bureaucratic FUBAR

...UNTIL then folks my best suggestion would have to be :
" DON'T drink the Kool Aid " i.e. "We're on top of things" info being peddled on either side of the 49 th.

The FDA and Health Canada need a huge kick in the ass, funding AND legislation to ensure third world "drug counterfeiters" cannot enter the supply chain. WE should be doing the testing HERE, at the manufacturer's expense, to ensure safety..... NOT allowing corrupt businesses and processes to "supply " us with fraudulent quality evaluations or medicaments.

I am making this info known here because among the many important drugs on the list is CAPECITABINE = Xeloda !
The US FDA has seen fraudulent Avastin and other cancer meds. We in Canada are not immune.

SO Beware my friends ... BE VERY AWARE.

These are not the smuggled toxic shit we always see coming from PRChina ... this involves MAJOR production and supply processors in India ( and other countries ) who produce and ship products which are NOT up to standard.... to ALL of the major Pharma corporations in North America.

If YOU do not wish to trust your health and outcome of your cancer treatments to shit from overseas ..... GET ACTIVE and make your concerns known to the media, public officials and other cancer patients and agencies.

Stepping OFF soap box now.

Please check out all these links and decide for yourself.
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Inspire Health UPDATES

Postby CRguy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Recent updates from the Research pages of Inspire Health have a number of interesting articles with information relevant to CRC patients.

Dec 2014 Colorectal Cancer Special is devoted entirely to CRC issues.

JanFeb2015 contains :
STRATEGIES FOR RETURNING TO WORK
COLORECTAL CANCER : Components of the Mediterranean Diet with chemopreventive activity toward colorectal cancer
EXERCISE : Supervised exercise reduces cancer-related fatigue: A systematic review.
PAIN MANAGEMENT : Patient empowerment in cancer pain management: An integrative literature review.
INTO THE VAULT : Do stress-related psychosocial factors contribute to cancer incidence and survival?

While I AM a Colorectal Canuck ..... these updates are relevant to all on this Journey, and I have had first hand experience with the Inspire Health group and recommend them to anyone here.

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

wandalein
Facebook Username: Wanda Leinweber

Postby wandalein » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:24 pm

We live in Calgary, Alberta Canada. My husband chose not to do anything except surgery, he would not to take what they had offered after the first surgery because he had been gassed with H2S gas in a work accident when he was a teenager and has progressive Neuropathy or nerve damage in his feet because of it and was essentially told the treatment offered could render him in a wheelchair or they couldn't guarantee him that it wouldn't. Long story short, it did progress to his liver and we had a very progressive liver surgeon who took 80% and will do it again if he has to. Knock wood the scan in Sept. was clear, next one in April. We are keeping up with lots of shakes, supplements, including tumeric & Oncolyn (as long as Health Canada will allow it) and lots of Vitamin D. Ironically my husband was put on an antidepressant for what the doctor says is PTSD (no doubt), it is called Citalopram and interestingly enough when I consulted the Oracle about it, it is actually been one of 3 common drugs that may prevent Metastasis of colorectal cancer. Here is an overview, I read the entire article (cause I am missing my calling as a biochemical scientist) :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25038229
Wife of Chris
March 2012 Stage 3 rectal cancer
May 2014 spread to liver
JUNE 2014 Liver resection 80% including gallbladder
June 2014 PET, CT, MRI
Oct. 2014 NED
Apr. 2015 NED
Jan. 2017 - still NED

CRguy

More on substandard drugs and New website links

Postby CRguy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Today's National Post health section adds more info to the previous concerns about ...questionable medicines from India. The online version also links their previous articles in this investigation.

As an aside, the NPost print edition also contains an independent supplement from Media Planet, The Fight Against Cancer which is available online at http://www.cancercarenews.ca/ and has a number of items relevant for Canadians dealing with CRC :

cfl-legend-battling-to-educate-fans-about-colon-cancer

new-colorectal-cancer-screening-tests-are-less-invasive-and-more-effective-in-picking-up-the-disease

dr-oz-reveals-how-he-dealt-with-a-colorectal-cancer-scare

bum-run-founder-on-raising-awareness-for-colorectal-cancer

Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month: Access To Cancer Drugs In Canada

Proper Bowel Prep Is Critical For Colonoscopy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

<40 & Canadian? YACC Survivor conference May 21-25

Postby CRguy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm

For those able to attend, please check out Steph20021 post for details HERE >

Conference home page is HERE >

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

elise

Postby elise » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Conference is AWESOME! I am going and would LOVE to have another CRC person there. We'd likely room together. Last year there were only 2 CRCs and I know she can't come this year.

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

CRguy

HAPPY CANADA DAY Canucks !

Postby CRguy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:13 am

Topic has been quiet for a while so just wanted to wish all ma' Canuckian homies a Happy July 1st :mrgreen:
OR in the alternative ... Happy Canad 'eh

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

JJ2212

Postby JJ2212 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks CR!

Ditto to you and all Canucks out there, crazy or otherwise. Mine was a wet and dreary day, I hope yours was better.

Happy Canada d'eh right back at you!

Janie.
Rectal cancer dx 04/13 @ 42, MSS, KRAS positive
T3N2M1 (1 lung met)
5 weeks xeloda+radiation finished 07/13
APR 9/13 (permanent colostomy), 27/31 nodes positive :-(
12 rounds of FOLFOX 04/14
Lung met growth 11/14
26 cycles Regorafenib (Stivarga) from 11/15 to 01/17
New lung met and chest/neck lymph nodes 01/17
1 cycle Folfiri

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Hey Janie ... backatcha'

Mine was hot Hot HOT !!!!
Vancouver does not do well @ 30〫C !!!!

Coulda used some rain ...
Yeah I know
VANCOUVER sayin' ...Coulda used some rain ...

cheers all :mrgreen:
CR
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”