Can my father lose his VA disability?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maximilianjohn

Can my father lose his VA disability?

Postby Maximilianjohn » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:52 am

He how has a colostomy bag. He no longer has cancer. Aside from the colostomy bag he also has degenerative disc in his back yet I believe the reason he was getting the disability money was because of the cancer.

mstults

Re: Can my father lose his VA disability?

Postby mstults » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:33 am

It's my understanding that VA disability is related to military service disability. If his cancer was service related then I guess he could lose it but I don't think it would be likely.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Re: Can my father lose his VA disability?

Postby alphagam » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:01 am

If his Cancer was service related, such as Agent Orange, then he will continue to get disability for any Cancer related issues. My guess, because it has to be service related, is that he is getting it for the problem in his back. Contact your local DAV group or the VA itself for information on your dad's disability payments.

My husband receives $250.00 a month for a service connected disability, back, he is considered 20% disabled. But as he is retired military, they immediately take out $250.00 from his retirement pay. No double dipping allowed!

Kathy
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”