watching the World Cup...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
skypup

watching the World Cup...

Postby skypup » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:59 pm

...and marveling at what the human body can be (as mine is slowly going down the other road.) Those guys are amazing and beautiful! I may join the rest of the world and be a soccer fan soon.

CRguy

Re: watching the World Cup...

Postby CRguy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:28 pm

disclaimer: sarcasm and attempted humour alert !

Skypup, isn't soccer that game where grown men run around in shorts, until someone bumps into them ......
and then they roll around on the grass and compete for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Drama ??? :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Being a Canuck ..... I support manly men who glide around on sharp implements, dress in body armour and carry weapons .... occasionally taking time to compete in an actual game between fights. No points for drama. :mrgreen:

[[ serious note : I played and coached soccer and it IS a great game and being played at the highest level in the World Cup.... so I am partly joking. Sad Canada could only muster up an official and no team to contribute to this iteration. ]]

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Watch Lionel Messi, Argentina's # 10 player. Game starting in 20 minutes. 8)

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Am watching, Maia! Wish we could pop some corn and watch it together!

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:44 pm

CRguy wrote: until someone bumps into them ......
and then they roll around on the grass and compete for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Drama ???

LOL -- yea, I've seen some of that already! Of course, Americans are familiar with that ploy from watching the NBA... :roll:

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Skypup wrote:Am watching, Maia! Wish we could pop some corn and watch it together!

We're doing it! 8)

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm

See? Minute #2... Messi 'armed' the figure. 8)
(And no, that's not me in the photo, folks. Ahaha).

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I haven't missed one game as I am obviously one die hard soccer fan. It is distracting though that some of the games are on ESPN, some on ESPN2 and others on ABC but whatever. Will be up tomorrow ready with my USA jersey on, complete with my USA v Ghana scarf around my neck getting ready to cheer on our boys!
During MLS season, most of the players are are 'enemies' but certainly not tomorrow!

GO USMNT! Let's hope that Jozy continues what he started against Nigeria and scores more goals.
Clint - well as a Sounder through and through, I'm rooting for Deuce to score a few goals as well.
Michael - well tomorrow - you're our friend buddy.....when you go back to Toronto...well, that's another story.
Brad - as long as you're wearing the red/white/blue and not the Houston orange/white....you go and work with Wondo creating some awesome chances.
Omar - don't like the Galaxy...but you're an awesome defender so do your stuff tomorrow!
Beckerman - you are annoying as a RSL player and your hair....well, that's another story in itself, but you work your magic in the midfield with Zusi and the other mids.

It's really fun being in the stadium watching our boys in person....sometimes I wish I was in Brazil (we had thought about it) but hubby and I are just watching it at home with my two furbabies who couldn't give a darn.
Hey, at least this WC, those annoying Vuvuzelas that they had in South Africa (2010) were banned this time around. They were horrible! I heard that the Brazilian version, the Caxirola, were also banned. They must have been equally annoying.

I just LOVE soccer!
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Skypup - oh yes you want to be a soccer fan. It's an awesome game. All my kids played from the time they were little up to and including college. Next summer make sure to watch the women's WC in Canada (and yes, CRguy, you should go....it's in the Vancouver area....Erik is trying to get me to go but the timing coincides with our yearly trek to the beach/4th of July). Although the game is the same, there is a huge difference in the way that women play vs men.
I have to admit, I loved my seats at Centurylink when Beckham would come into town with the Galaxy and take the corners :) Talk about the wonderful human body and the way one can move....most of the females were sad that he 'retired' :(

Back to the Argentina game. I actually thought that by now (33rd minute) the score would be more than just 1-0.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:42 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Back to the Argentina game. I actually thought that by now (33rd minute) the score would be more than just 1-0.

I agree. As an Argentinian in Argentina right now... I'm expecting Bosnia-Herzegovina to score a goal -our guys seem to be sleeping today! :roll:

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:02 pm

After Maia's photo in the above post I'm rooting for number ten :wink:

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Whoa, Jaynee, I am impressed! You know your soccer!

Your boy did good, Maia. And after that photo you posted, you are going to have even more fans on the board than you already do (male fans!) hahaha!

I'll be watching the US-Ghana game tomorrow. The commentators keep calling Group G the "group of death", though, which doesn't sound good for the US team...

Now getting ready to watch San Antonio finish off the Heat. *fingers crossed*

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Ha - I just got done bitching on Facebook about the World Cup and please let it be over soon or at least stop posting every 10 minutes about it.

Ah Maia if that picture was your picture think I would start being a whole lot nicer to you ha ha. What? I thought this was a place where we told the truth? Oh - not that particular sort of truth? AH = then nevermind.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 pm

weisssoccermom wrote: Next summer make sure to watch the women's WC in Canada (and yes, CRguy, you should go....it's in the Vancouver area... )

Both my son and daughter (and ME + wifey ! :mrgreen: ) played and YES the Canadian ladies ROCK ... may make it out, just to wear the colours ! :mrgreen:
( Will proboably be in BC place for that level of play ??? )

Talk about the wonderful human body and the way one can move....most of the females were sad that he 'retired' :(
Ah yes Beckham ..... "Bending it" and all ......... BUTT with his wife POSH Spice and all the underwear ads .......
NO I just really don't wanna go there .... :shock: BUTT ... buns intended !.... you WILL all see him again... trust me :
Sex sells AKA .... " Becks sells ... " !!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PNwet update : any of you have any THUNDER crashing near home today ?????
was cloudy, rainy this a.m., sunny, rainy, downpour, sunny and just NOW two crashes .....
Guess we've all been ....... THUNDERSTRUCK !

Cheers all
If you are in the PNwet .... stay dry !
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Maia wrote:(And no, that's not me in the photo, folks. Ahaha).

NO harm NO foul Maia .... YOU will always be our TEN ...
here and forever !
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”