2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium

Postby WifeOfMike » Fri May 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Thought some of you may have an interest in the abstracts backing the findings for the ASCO 2014 symposium. There are 150 of them listed by subject, related to the following:

Multidisciplinary Treatment
Cancers of the Colon and Rectum

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/abstract ... mposium/62

Cheers!
Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

singingholly

Re: 2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium

Postby singingholly » Fri May 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Thank you so much!
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

Maia

Postby Maia » Fri May 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Thank you, Vicki!

WifeOfMike

Postby WifeOfMike » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:47 am

MAIA...........
Did you get a chance to come back to any of these 2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium abstracts???
I thought maybe GrouseMan would dig the technical data :lol:

I have accessed a number of them regarding molecular profiling, molecular sub-typing and bio-markers & their correlation to Colorectal Cancer disease survival and therapeutic implications. It has gone way past KRAS, BRAF, NRAS and EGFR Targeted therapies

I have particular interest in these as they relate to PDL1/ Immunotherapy Drugs..........and whether they may work on my hubby with his particular genetic profiling.
Our Monday meeting regarding the Ipilimumab and Nivolumab Clinical trial may bring up the Microsatellite Status (MSS and MSI) and PDL1 status according to these......

Programmed death 1 (PD-1) lymphocytes and ligand (PD-L1) in colorectal cancer and their relationship to Microsatellite instability status.
Conclusions: Consideration of immune checkpoint therapies for colorectal cancer needs to consider the presence of PD-1 lymphocytes and cancer cell specific PD-L1 expression. PD-1+ IEL and PD-L1+ cancer cells are more frequent in MSI-H than in MSS colorectal cancers, which are rare in general CRC population.

Immune checkpoints expression in MSI versus MSS colorectal cancers and their potential therapeutic implications.
Conclusions: The genetic origin of CRC dictates the nature and intensity of inflammation. A strong IFNg -driven inflammatory response in MSI CRC patients triggered the expression of PD-L1 and IDO-1 which could be targeted to enhance clinical benefit and be predictive of response to immune checkpoint inhibitors.

Molecular profiling of 6,892 colorectal cancer patients to identify potential treatment options.
Conclusions: Molecular profiling (MP) of 6,892 CRCs identified significant differences among tumors with BRAF/KRAS-Mutant (MT) and metastases, prompting unexpected treatment options. Agents uncommonly used in CRC metastases such as temozolomide are suggested, and etoposide or taxanes are suggested for brain or ovarian mets, respectively. Targeted therapies could be considered for KRAS or BRAF mutated tumors based on actionable targets revealed by Molecular Profiling

CHEERS!
Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

WifeOfMike

Postby WifeOfMike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 pm

My hunch that genetic profiling might be part of the equation in inclusions/ exclusions proved to be correct at today's meeting regarding the Nivolumab & Ipilimumab CLINICAL TRIAL...........

A Study of Nivolumab and Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in Recurrent and Metastatic Colon Cancer (CheckMate 142)
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02060188
http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/se ... ofessional

We just got back from Los Angeles (our 3rd attempt at finding quality care). I think we hit pay dirt...... Although THE clinical trial we were hoping to sign up for MAY not be available because a genetic testing we had done showed hubby as Microsatellite Stable (test MAY be asking for HIGH status), they gave us FOUR optional clinical trials to consider BASED UPON HIS EXACT genetic Inaccuracies. WE ARE VERY HAPPY to NOT be looking at 8000+ clinical trials and trying to make factual based GUESSES as to which one COULD be viable!! :shock:

Our new Cancer Wizard (Who is in charge of Clinical Trials at this Cancer Research Institute) is clarifying this. Nivolumab & Ipilimumab CLINICAL TRIAL IN Los Angeles is NOT yet recruiting, and I had National Cancer Institutes PDQ version as well as National Health Institute's version of the trial printouts in hand at meeting. I am now reading details of those other four trials, and awaiting test results of CT scan of clinical trial he is presently on (due Wednesday).......... to decipher hubbies next chess move in this game called CANCER. It is also VERY apparent genetic testing is going to be a HUGE factor in the eligibility of clinical trials now and in the immediate future, as it has with some of the FDA approved standard care drugs (IE: WILD KRAS, BRAF & NRAS status in Erbitux)!!!! I had also read they are "undecided" as to whether PD-L1 positive or negative testing may also come into play at a later date, and are continuing to study that aspect

I HIGHLY recommend that basic genetic profiling be done on who ever has colon cancer and is considering clinical trials. It helped us tremendously knowing hubbies status ahead of game time. Some of these trials have very limited openings, particularly ones such as these two drugs that have had a lot of publicity in both the clinical and general populace media...... and a waiting line to get in. In our case it immediately gave the DR other viable clinical trials that would address hubby's issues head on. :twisted:

Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 am

Does anyone wonder how we spent our spare time before we had to help research our own disease? And then there are the wonderful friends (Maia) and family like Vicki and Grouseman who have taken on such huge jobs trying to help the ones they love. Especially to those friends and family doing research, hunting down trials, and possible options, please know that we all recognize that what you do truly is a labor of love.
Just want to say and big "Thank You" to all my friends here. You help keep me going.
With prayers for a peaceful night,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

WifeOfMike

Postby WifeOfMike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 am

My dearest Dianne.........

It is YOU with your stories, other angels with theirs, MAIA, GrouseMan, CRGUY, GWEN and many many more that gave me a dimmer of light in the tunnel, that fueled the flame to get ME this far. Many nights before i found this CT, I cried myself to sleep wondering what I was going to do. I could not show tears to hubby or my 3 sons. I felt timid to "chime in", because it was not ME that had the terrible disease. It is the brave before me, that gave me the courage to now "pay it forward", in their HONOR and on hubby's behalf. I actually read ALL of your posts...... easier once I figured out how to do so from your listing and not hunting through a zillion posts, LOL

ANSWER....... I was remodeling my house, 3/4 acre tip to toe, building a website for our business, remodeling business tip to toe, spending time with sons (one of which is rebuilding truck, another a boat to take dad "cruising") and having fun with hubby, extended family, friends and literally smelling the roses. I am actually rounding the table to start spending a lot more "trips", BBQ's and a lot more time smelling the roses :lol:

MUCH LOVE to ALL,
Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Vicki,
Your sweet note made me cry.
In my head, I've been comparing the general mood of this forum to when I joined 6 years ago. Yes, too often there is still fear, pain, sadness and loss; but these threads about immunology and clinical trials have injected some hope into our common future.
Praying for miracles for us all, and short of miracles, FDA-approved drugs working drugs would be nice,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 pm

michaelbass wrote:MAIA...........
Did you get a chance to come back to any of these 2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium abstracts???
I thought maybe GrouseMan would dig the technical data :lol:

CHEERS!
Wife of Mike,
Vicki

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find enough time to delve into these. Work gets in the way.... :mrgreen: As time goes on - I'll likely be able to digest some of this mountain of data. My expertise is more along the lines of traditional chemotherapy and cell signaling kinase pathway inhibition. I am a chemist by training, and lack the vocabulary for immunology research, so I have to learn that as I go along. Its a tough row to hoe. Thanks for posting the link. Since I don't actively work in the pharmaceutical industry anymore I don't have access to a lot of the materials I use to. This also makes it difficult to get to the nitty gritty details not available in an abstract, so I also have to be a bit of a pessimist as, until I can look at some of that material as well.

Thanks again.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”