30 years old with stage 3 colon rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

30 years old with stage 3 colon rectal cancer

Postby tandy24 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:44 am

HI I am new to this site.
I am 30 with stage 3 colon rectal cancer. I have two beautiful sons 9 and 6. My husband and i wanted more children but with my surgery i had an total hysterctomy so no chance of that now. my tumor was very large and dense so i had chemo and radiation before my surgery. I have been home now for 4 weeks post surgery. I start chemo Tomarrow and will cont. for 5 months. I was told after surgery that they got all the cancer and 1 out of 9 lymph nodes was infected. I am not sure if this is good news or bad. I cant sleep at night, only eat because i have to, and i am so emotional! I have so many fears. Is there anyone going through this, dumb question! I would love to hear from anyone.
God Bless and Believe,

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:35 am

hi tandy,
welcome! im new here as well just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer im 39 well 40 next week and i have a 7 year old daughter. you are normal for going through all the emotional stuff, if you need to cry do it, if you need to kick the wall, do that as well. i was just diagnosed in june so i have had 3 months to cry, be mad, and have a pity party for myself. now i am back to my normal obnoxiuos self and i decided this crap is not going to beat me down and i have to fight with all i have mainly for my child. i find that keeping things as normal in your life as possible helps, i know going through chemo you have and will have days when you feel like crap and the days when i have an infusion pump connected to me like a big pimple reminds me of my cancer, but when it is removed and the 10 days i am off chemo i don't think about it much i just continue to do my normal routine i have also 3 horses, 2 dogs, and 5 cats to take care of so i keep pretty busy. my point to all this is try to do your normal routine. also eating is very important if you can't stomach foods try nutritional drinks like boost or ensure, you have to keep up your strength, try to get out and take walks for 30 minutes a day for some exercise and some fresh air you will feel better, also everyother week i go for a full body massage and that really helps. i know it is hard at 1st everyone is in shock when they are diagnosed with cancer, but if you go through the posts on the board here and read peoples stories you will see this disease is very treatable and survivable. there are a few here who have lived with and survived stage 4 disease which is considered by some as terminal and incurable but you can see on this board many survivors of all stages of colon and rectal cancers so try not to be discouraged and do as much research as you can. alot of doctors have a one sided view of cancers and do not even mention things that can be helpful so please do research on your disease and if needed get 2, 3, or how ever many opinions from different doctors to establish the right treatment. my 1st onco visit was awfull i was told i had 1 year to live with no treatment and 2 years with treatment which was false. i have had 4 chemos had a cat scan friday 1 of my liver lesions is gone the other 2 shrunk to almost nothing now sugery to remove what is left of cancer on my liver should if not cure me beat it back for a while and this happened with only 4 chemo treatments so anything is possible. this is a great place to ask questions or just vent if you have too. alot of people on this board have helped and encouraged me tremendously and i hope you will find the same thing here as i have because you are not alone there are many of us fighting cancer.

missjv

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:32 am

Hi Tandy, im based in England and until i found this site, i was a bit confused as there isnt really anything like this in the UK. Ive just turned 32 (diagnosed at 31) with Stage III. 3 lymph nodes out of the 28 removed were found. Ive also got a beautiful 11 month old boy. And yes at first i was scared, but gradually got stronger as the pain healed. Im currently half way through chemo and feel good. A positive mind and strong family support go a long way in helping. I wish you well on this journey. Regards Nick

tandy24

Thank you

Postby tandy24 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:22 am

Thank you for your reply's! I need all the help i can get. I start chemo today and knowing that Nick the brit is almost done and feeling good helps out alot. missjv you give me strength. The thing I hate the most out of all of this is waking up everyday to get my boys ready for school and always having that thought in the back of your mind "will I see them grow up"? It is like nothing else matters anymore, none of the small things that used to bother me or I would stress about. Now all i care about is my God, my family, and just living.
God Bless and Believe,

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:04 am

hi tandy,
the chemo is pretty tolerable and make sure you drink alot of water. 70% of the chemo goes to the cancer the rest will stay in your body if you do not flush yourself with water. bring bottled water to chemo and drink drink drink it is very important as well as drinking alot after chemo you want the stuff out of your system as much as you can. aquafina should love me i drink 8 of their 20oz bottles a day sometimes more when im running. please try to eat i found stuff like cream of wheat or grits is helpfull when my stomach is blah also hot tea NO SUGAR helps as well and at the health food store i found quesey drops they are made with ginger and they really help if you feel nausiated. the more you can eat and keep up your strength the better you will tolerate chemo. and i know how you feel wondering if you will see your children grow up, i know i have stage 4 cancer and i have a beautiful 7 year old daughter and that is what upset me the most when i found out i had cancer, i wasn't scared for myself i was scared for her having to grow up without me, but i am so blessed and fortunate to have a large very close family and in the back of my mind i know she will be well cared for between my husband and family she will be ok. i don't plan on checking out soon i am doing very well and my 3 small lesions that i had on my liver have pretty much shrunk away 1 is not to be found and the other 2 are very very small so i will have surgery to remove the cancer and go through more chemo and then im sure i will be fine. docs are very optimistic since i responded so well to the chemo and so quickly so im sure i will be here when my little girl graduates highschool that is my plan. please try to keep a good attitude it really helps i know it is hard and depressing but i found the more i keep my daily routine and life the same as before cancer diagnosis the better i feel and it helps your family as well and especially my daughter she knows mommy is sick and getting medicine and i leave it at that of course i answer questions if she has them but i do not offer info until she asks. keep your head up there are so many new drugs available that were not 5 years ago and people are doing much better living with and surviving cancer then 10 years ago. let me know how you did today.

missjv

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Statistics

Postby Edward » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 am

Tandy,

Don't focus on statistic too much, they only tell about a certain period of time. They do not tell about the future with new medicines and treatments. Not sweating the small stuff will help you in the long run. Good luck on your journey. Your children will have stronger mother soon.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi Tandy,

I have stageIII colon cancer and 2/20 lymph nodes were involved. The first thing the surgeon told me after diagnosis was "don't plan your funeral" I don't think about dying, only getting through this treatment so I can go back to a "new" normal life.

My kids spend most of their time with their dad right now. He is very supportive and a wonderful father. It is hard to not see them every day, but I feel that if I spend this time on myself and get better as quickly as the treatment will allow, we will have many years to be together and live a full life.

One of the hard things I had to deal with is, I didn't feel sick. It was hard to think that I have this horrible cancer in my body, but I feel so normal. These are the days that you have to force yourself to take care and not do too many things.

Noone knows what the future holds, but live your life with no regrets. Love, hug and kiss your children at every opportunity and fight the cancer/treatments with every ounce of your being. Focus your energy on healing and not on worrying.

This is NOT the year to be supermom!! Be super to yourself and everything will fall into place as you journey through this time.

Sharon

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:10 pm

hi tandy,
im a 43 year old female who had apr surgery on june 30th( removal of rectum a foot of colon,permanant colostomy). i went thru 6 weeks of chemo before surgery and am now on 6 months of chemo 3 days every other week. although the chemo is no picnic the odds are in my favor. i was diagnosed as stage 2 but after reexamining the size of my biopsy determined to be a stage 3 hence the chemo. the advice here is great. these boards have helped me tremendously during my journey. like you i worry all the time about life but one good thing that came from all of this is i enjoy life more then i ever have. you can beat this thing :!: know that you are not alone.
take care, cherri

tandy24

I love the colon club!

Postby tandy24 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Let me first start off by saying that I really do love this club! I cant thank everyone enough for your reply's and help. It is such a nice feeling knowing that there are people out there that will listen and respond with thier help, concerns, and advice.
My first chemo treatment went well, I was there for 8 hours wow! Long time is that the norm? I wear my "buddy" my chemo pack for 2 days then i have a week off and do it all over again the following week. I can handle that. I have a question though. When does the numbness and tingling start in the hands and feet, also sensitive to cold and hot. I was told it would happen but as i always do i forgot to ask when all of this would happen.
I have to say talking to everyone on here has brought my spirits up and I went into the Dr. office with a new attitude THANKS!
God Bless and Believe,

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:53 pm

HI TANDY,
WELL I AM ON OXALIPLATIN AND HAVE HAD NO TINGLING IN MY HANDS I HAVE HAD 4 TREATMENTS AND SO FAR NOTHING AND DOCS CLAIM I AM ON A HIGH DOSE OF CHEMO SO GO FIGURE NOT EVERYONE GETS THE SIDE EFFECTS. THE ONLY THING I HAVE GOTTEN WAS A SORE IN MY MOUTH BUT NOW I AM WONDERING IF THAT WAS FROM THE CHEMO BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER HAS A FEVER BLISTER AND SO DOES MY BROTHER SO IM WONDERING IF I JUST DIDN'T HAVE ONE OF THOSE. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO BE POSITIVE I KNOW IT IS HARD WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR CHILDREN AND FEEL SAD I DO THE SAME THING BUT THEN I SAY SCREW THIS CANCER CRAP IT IS NOT GOING TO BEAT ME AND IF FOR SOME REASON IT DOES MY DAUGHTER WILL REMEMBER HER MOTHER PUT UP ONE HELL OF A FIGHT FOR HER. BE CAREFULL WITH THE CHEMO BUDDY I DROPPED MINE IN THE BATHTUB AND ONE NIGHT I GOT OUT OF BED AND FORGOT THE DAMN THING WAS STUCK TO ME ON DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR AND ABOUT RIPPED IT OUT OF MY CHEST. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU FEEL TIRED THAT YOU REST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN YOU WILL FOR SURE FEEL THE FATIGUE FROM THE CHEMO AND MAKE SURE YOU DRINK ALOT OF WATER AND EAT GOOD FOOD AND DRINK SOME BOOST IT WILL HELP YOU. IF YOU DO NOT EAT AND KEEP UP YOUR STRENGTH THE CHEMO WILL SURELY WEAR YOU DOWN AND THEN YOU GET INTO LOW BLOOD COUNTS AND YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT. LUCKILY I HAVE MAINTANED MYSELF AND DO NOT NEED INJECTIONS FOR WHITE CELLS OR RED CELLS AND MY PLATLETS STAY WITHIN THE NORM. MY HAIR DID START TO THIN OUT WHICH I REALLY DIDN'T MIND CAUSE IT IS SO THINK AND IM IN FLORIDA WHERE THE HUMIDITY IS CRAZY BUT OTHER THEN THAT CHEMO HAS BEEN A BREEZE SO FAR. IM SURE YOU WILL DO FINE YOUR YOUNG AND YOU HAVE CHILDREN AND YOU WILL DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO BE AROUND TO RAISE THEM. IF YOU ARE THE LEAST BIT UNCOMFORTABLE WITH YOUR DOC OR TREATMENT PLEASE GET ANOTHER OPINION ESPECIALLY FOR CANCER SO MANY DOCS DO THINGS AND LOOK AT THINGS SO DIFFERENT.

MISSJV

tandy24

Oxaliplation Or Eloxatin

Postby tandy24 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Missjv,
I also am on Oxaliplation everyother week and wear the pack 2 days. I have had things happen with my pack as well you get so used to it you forget its there. I am so happy to hear that the tingling and hot cold response does not happen to everyone. I also have thick hair and live in Floirda, so if my hair thins out I do not think I will mind much. You are so strong. And I today when I got really down nausea and tired. I sat up and remembered how strong all your emails are. I will be that strong. I will rest when needed, I will try to eat, the water thing is something to get used to for me, I do not like it much to be honest but I will start that is for sure. I get discounted tomarrow YAHOO!! FREE!!
God Bless and Believe,

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Tandy,

I was dx Stage III August 2005. Surgery left me with an ileostomy and I started 5-FU about this time last year. I had four cycles then 25 radiation sessions, then 6 more 5-FU cycles which ended in March of this year. I know how you feel - I think we all have the same thoughts. But I focused on getting better and getting on with my life. I decided to beat this. I continued to exercise almost every day (even connected to the pump). I think that kept me from being fatigued which I hear a lot of people experience. My goal was to do a marathon (26.2 miles) this September, and I am proud to report that I DID IT this past Saturday - also placed 3rd in my age group!!! It was the most beautiful day for me but bittersweet in that one of my fellow "chemo lounge buddy" I met while in treatment had passed away last week and her funeral was Saturday.

I have some more surgery scheduled two weeks from today - kind of looking forward to it because it will finally put a closure on my past year - just a bit of repair work then I should be good as (almost) new!!

Hang in there! You CAN and WILL get through this bump in the road.

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:31 pm

hi tandy,
glad you got unhooked to today it is like being let out of prison. i got my 5th chemo today then i go back friday to get the big pimple as i call it unhooked. if you have a wholefoods store or something like it where you live try to find quesy drops they are made of ginger and they really help. luckily i have not had much nausea first chemo i had a little because i had surgery to have port put in the day before my 1st chemo and i think it was too much all at once but i have breezed through the other chemos. i did have a mouth sore but im now thinking it was a cold sore cause i got a bit of a runny nose and my daughter had cold sore as well so i don't think it was a chemo mouth sore. the hot cold thing i didn't really experience a little bit in my throat on cold drinks but not too bad and my fingers have been fine. that is why drink tons of water put lemon in it if you don't like plain water. nurses told my right away to drink as much water as possible because 70% of chemo goes toward cancer the other 30% is floating around your bloodstream and it harms normal cells because it can't differentiate normal dividing cells from the cancerous ones so get the extra overflow out of your body. i like to think of the chemo like a pac man game and the chemo is chomping away at the cancer i know that sounds weird. try to stay positive and like i said do research doctors are all different and some are more agressive then others in treating younger people with this type of cancer. my 1st onco treated my like a dying 80 year old who crawled through the door holding my liver in my hand and that is not the case at all, yes i have a couple tiny spots on my liver but they can be surgically removed and then hopefully cancer will not come back and if it does i will fight it again and again if i have to. well glad you did ok on your chemo.

missjv

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:41 pm

You mentioned needing to get used to drinking a lot of water. I like to add the Crystal light single serviing packages to a bottle of water. It seems to make it go down a little easier and add variety.

Sharon

tandy24

I thought Chemo went good

Postby tandy24 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 am

ok the first day on chemo went great I felt great, that night all i did was vomit I couldnt even keep down my pills to control the vomiting, when i went in the next day to get discounted i was given some fluids because i had lost so much. Has this ever happened to anyone else. Am i just a big baby here? I am trying to hard not to be.
God Bless and Believe,

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”