Please no more miracle cure talks

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Re: Please no more miracle cure talks

Postby BrownBagger » Wed May 28, 2014 7:57 am

Early on in this process, somebody told me about a little box you could get (or build, I guess) that would dissolve tumors. Happily, I ignored the advice, and I'm still here, despite all this conventional treatment I've been getting. You might be able to pick up one of those boxes on Ebay, I'm thinking.

I think Bev summed it up very nicely, pointing out that our bodies, metabolisms, biology and chemistry are in a complex relationship that doesn't reveal its secrets easily.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 am

Thank you Maia, CRguy and all.who replied I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. I am my son's "buffer" on all fronts ie: well meaning but clueless friends and relatives, long winded visitors, ridiculous insurance people and insensitive medical workers. I have been having one of those weeks and really needed to blow off steam. Best reason to have this forum!
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Wed May 28, 2014 10:21 am

Voxx66 wrote:There are many other silly theories out there but the baking soda/alkaline diet one especially combined with the whole "cancer is a fungus meme" drives me nuts.

But as a public service I will say this one more time: You can't alter your blood or cellular PH with baking soda or other alkaline substances (or acidic ones for that matter.) (You could probably have an effect with a sodium hydroxide injection if you didn't mind the side effect of death.) In fact you should be quite glad your body tightly regulates ph changes in the blood (you can indeed temporarily change the PH of urine with food). Without a buffering method, you would die if not treated from either acidosis or alkalosis rather quickly.

Now you can change your blood/cellular PH by developing kidney or lung disease or depriving yourself of oxygen. I would not recommend these methods.

But tumors are always* white! Therefore they must be a fungus, which is also white.
My dog is white too. I'm pretty sure that means he's a fungus.

*actually not true
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I actually had a nurse tell me to run right out and buy an herbal preparation that was good for curing cancer. This was before I had learned my lesson, and since she was a nurse, I did. And it was a waste of $40, because my onc wouldn't let me take it anyway.

Maybe people do mean well, but there is something about a cancer diagnosis that brings the "experts" out of the woodwork to tell you what you ate/drank/did to cause this and what you should eat/drink/take/do now to cure it, along with all of those magical cures that "They" don't want you to know about. It makes me wretch, and when I was on steroids during treatment, I think I actually scared a few people.

I have a relative that just about has a stroke everytime she sees me eat something that contains sugar, though I've trained her not to comment. I'm sorry, if staying away from sugar cured/prevented cancer, then surely my oncologist would know about it, he's a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him. I've never eaten a lot of sweets anyway--and I used to eat a lot of whole grains and was mostly vegetarian for a lot of my life. And here I am. I don't think it makes any difference, so I'm going to eat what I want (in moderation) and enjoy my life while doing what I can to prevent a recurrance--which includes exercise, taking an aspirin, and not taking crap from self proclaimed experts.

This thread has been amusing....you guys are great.

Cj
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

Nester

Postby Nester » Wed May 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Well,

As an engineer and honestly , i rely on data, number , stats.

I'm not completely against remedies or herbals, but in my opinion, when someone is proposing me something which is the panacea for a lot of diseases (like " take this, improves your hearth condition, sexual appeal and eventually cures cancer") , moreover not supported by any medical article (by this i mean something which reports a clinical trial, stats and a math conclusion), i really doubt about it.

People ususally tend to speak more than they think. Honestly i do the opposite, when someone is telling me a "thruth" i need numbers to support it.

SIngle cases don't mean nothing (like "this man got cured"?!!?). The human body is a very complex system, where still we don't exactly know what happens. Sometimes there are unknown processes where cancer triggers its own death and we believe there is something that did the trick (like "oh he was on eating carrots").

Hence, we are still wandering in a unknown land, where there's no clear solution , nor medicine, which solves everyone's cancer.

This is my point of view.
Diag @ 30yo St IV 12/11 Appdx crcnma (mets to peri)
12/11 2x Colectomy (1 HIPEC)
2/12 - 7/12 CAPOX
2/12 - 5/13 NED
5/13 Explorative Surgery (1 small nodule found)
9/13 Start FOLFIRI
10/13 Obstruction - Surgery + Colostomy
1/14-6/14
Life @ sunset

nitebreez

Postby nitebreez » Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't get very much "miracle cure" talk. That's because my family thought it was fairly serious at first, when I had my operations. Then they didn't want to talk about it at all....and acted as if "it's no big deal". Now that I'm NED for now,...they think that means I'm all 100% CURED FOR LIFE. :( (I'm doing all the blood tests, scans, and colonoscopys for just kicks and grins, y'know)....LOL!
T4a-Nx-M0 cc (perforated colon) Septic shock
2/19/13 emergency surgery/colostomy
4/13/13 colostomy reversed (reconnected!)
1/22/14 folfox completed
3/3/14 CT Scan NED
4/15/16 CEAs still low

sun-sparkled waves

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 pm

I have enjoyed reading this thread, especially liked Vox66 reply. There are so many people out there who have never been faced with cancer, and they think they have all the answeres and advice; drives me crazy. Especially the alkaline diet, why can't they just look up acid base balance on Wikipedia.
Stage 2b in ascending colon age 34
Right Hemicolectomy 1994
5 FU and Levamisole for 6 months
Lynch Syndrome mutation MLH1
Bilateral Salpingectomy 2010

KWT

Postby KWT » Wed May 28, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm sure that the cure involves licorice and beer I plan on researching this thoroughly!

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Wed May 28, 2014 6:02 pm

hahaha My son will join you in the research-so many great breweries in Oregon
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Left us 8/28

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm

It's so weird that this post just came up. I had a co-worker tell me on Tuesday to go somewhere in Detroit (Water Works?) where they sell alkaline water and to have my DH drink a lot of it. It might save his life, she said. I told her this could be a problem since he is drinking only about two bottles of non-alkaline water daily, and that's on his good days. I immediately changed the conversation topic, then did fake vomiting motions when I was alone to amuse myself.

Whatever happened to critical thinking skills? I can see why the masses can so easily be led.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Wed May 28, 2014 7:02 pm

My daddy (who passed away on his 96th birthday Oct 23, 2011) was a VERY wise man.
His sage words of Wisdom have served me faithfully from early youth to this day.

I can hear him now....... Vicki Lynn....... "Common Sense Isn't Common"!!!!!
Love you Daddy!!!! :lol:

Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

let's see......alkaline diet (check), Dr. Burzinski (check), Dr. Mercola (check), peach seeds (check), no sugar (check), asparagus (check), broccoli (check) and any others I may have forgotten. Heard them all, did NONE of them. I'll take my chances with the great docs at MD Anderson any day. But boy do I understand your frustration.
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 pm

I've had lots of "advice" how my cancer should be treated. Some the usual juicing/diet/sugar/ketogenic etc., some way way out like injecting myself with scabies pus or kerosene.
One person wanted to inject me with some kind of substance that would attack all the cells in my body that were multiplying - where do they get it from....

But seriously, I don't really mind, because most people mean well. What really gets my goat is when people are offended if I don't take their advice.
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

rjcarney25

Postby rjcarney25 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I would recommend a diet change to those who have been through multiple operations as I have. Eating steamed veggies, a lot of fish, some all natural chicken-not fried, fruit smoothies and cutting back on white flour, sugar, beef, pork ect has made it easier to digest my meals and eased the stomach pains. No it doesn't kill the cancer but it can make the day to day easier to get through. The "all natural" cures are nonsense but it's easy to convince someone who is desperate for a cure and either has no faith in the medical system, their doctor, or one with no more options.
8/12 Dx'ed Stage 4 CC
8/12 Surgery-Stent
9/12 Colon Surgery
10/12 Folfox(9 rounds - 1st 6 w/avastin)
3/13 Liver resected - NED
4/13 - 5/13 FOLFOX
6/13 CAT-Tumors
7/13 - 8/13 FOLFIRI
8/13 Stopped Chemo
10/13 HIPEC Surgery
3/14 -Date 5FU+Avastin

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes I do believe diet helps with my sons stomach issues he has now but its not going to cure him. Unfortunately after 3 opinions there is no cure for him. I am all for eating foods that do not upset the stomach, which while he has the pump on he craves carbs weird.... He is a fisherman so we eat lots of fish that he catches. He loves to fish because not being able to work he feels like he provides in a way. We have a garden and try to eat what's in season but all this is good for all of us not just cancer patients. I don't need a guru to tell me that, its just common sense. My son said he saw a cartoon talking about cancer cures and the joke was put all your money in a blender and inject into your veins and that's the cure ahahaha
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Left us 8/28

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”