New to this group !

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ninachristine

New to this group !

Postby Ninachristine » Tue May 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi I am a caregiver to my husband who was diagnosed ( December 2011) with colon cancer not sure of specifics but for sure it was stage 3. Had sigmoid colectomy and chemo for 6 months FOLFOX and NED until now May 16,. Spread to the peritoneum with ascites. Had folfiri May 17. Having severe diarrhea and fever for 4 days now. Blood cultures , CXR and urine all negative so far. Has been getting Imodium without help BM every 3-4 hours. Does not eat, depressed, and scared! Anybody with Same experience with folfiri? Hiw long did the diarrhea last? What about the fever?
What about HIPIC? The MRI showed few involvement if the peritoneum. His oncologist does not recommend it.
Please help. I am so scared and heartbroken.
Thank you so much! Connie ( I used a different name because this site can not register me with Connie as my ID name)

dianne052506

Re: New to this group !

Postby dianne052506 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Connie,
In my experience, diarrhea is very common with irinotecan (the big gun ingredient in FOLFIRI). The chemo nurses have a special dosage of immodium they recommend that it totally different from what is on the box. They can also prescribe lomotil.
Immodium always seems to work too well for me, so I tried most of the time to tough it out, and eat foods like cheese that I knew would counteract the diarrhea. However, your husband should definitely let the onc or nurses know the severity of the situation.
Fever is not common with irinotecan. I would immediately get in touch with the doc over that.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Ninachristine

Postby Ninachristine » Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Dianne,
Thank you so much. Looks like you've toughed it out really well! You are such a hero and inspiration to people like my husband! We are in the hospital now for the fever and severe diarrhea. Cultures pending and he is on antibiotics. I'm scared of the sepsis! He's not eating what about hyperalimentation?
Good luck with the trials and praying for you and everyone afflicted by colon cancer !
Connie
Connie- Caregiver to husband Nandy 63 y/o
Sigmoid colectomy stage 3 not sure about details will post later
Dx - 12/2011
FOLFOX
NED until 5/16/14
Now with peritoneal spread and ascites
In FOlFIRI

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue May 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Connie,

The first concern with FOLFIRI diarrhea is to stop it, immediately followed by re-hydration. They have a number of tricks up their sleeves to stop the diarrhea which with irinotecan can be "early" or "late" I had it continuously, the entire cycle, and was admitted and admitted for hydration. They'll worry much less that he's not eating, but ultimately could give him TPN if he really can't eat anything for a long period of time. The not eating isn't an emergency though, severe diarrhea/dehydration is. My onc told me that I would never be able to keep up orally with the fluid loss I had through the constant diarrhea. You were very wise to go to the hospital. If he is dehydrated enough it could cause a fever.

I hope they find a near instant cure for all that is ailing him.

Best wishes,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Bev G wrote:The first concern with FOLFIRI diarrhea is to stop it, immediately followed by re-hydration.

Yes, stop it, stop it... keeping hydrated by drinking water won't be enough, he'll end up with IV saline otherwise. It's not the 'cleaning' diarrhea that one may have from food poisoning -it chemically induced, nothing curative in it. You need to use the meds the nurses gave him. JMHO

Connie, welcome and sorry you have to be here. But welcome! : )

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”