Please no more miracle cure talks

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
exaussie

Please no more miracle cure talks

Postby exaussie » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm

How do you tell someone who insists that baking soda will cure cancer to stop telling me about it???? No scientific proof or common sense works with this person uuggghhh.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

JDinNC

Re: Please no more miracle cure talks

Postby JDinNC » Tue May 27, 2014 8:41 pm

I believe that baking soda helps raise your body's PH..making it alkaline. Cancer supposedly can't survive in a alkaline environment. This goes the same for lemon/lime and apple cider vinegar. I've been working on trying to raise my PH for months..it's very hard to do.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 pm

exaussie wrote:How do you tell someone who insists that baking soda will cure cancer to stop telling me about it???? No scientific proof or common sense works with this person uuggghhh.

I would be happy to tell you,
........ BUTT since I am a Moderator here, I would probably piss off my fellow Mods and the Forum Admins and then they would have to "moderate" me :shock:

PM me if you want the uncensored version...... OR read between the lines here and figure out what you are comfortable telling your helpful "friend/s".
YMMV ! BUTT here are a few questions to ask.

1. Have YOU ever had cancer and gone through ANY treatments ?
2. Did baking soda work for YOU ?
3. Do you want to support ME with what I am dealing with now ... or just promote something you know nothing about, simply because it makes you feel better ?

I don't do this very often, but I have in the past. If someone keeps on in your face with something you do NOT want to hear, AND YOU HAVE ASKED / TOLD them that it just NOT for you ... then ....

4. EFF off ! you are pissing me off with your stupid BS nonsense and I don't need this shit right now.

YMMV :twisted:

My take : it IS my life and I will live it as I choose.
I do not suffer fools lightly.
I am the one with cancer and I am always right ! - courtesy of cptmac :mrgreen:

Cheers and best wishes exaussie
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 pm

We had that issue with my husband's aunt who called, emailed and mailed us info that eating asparagus would cure cancer. To be honest, we just ignored her and didn't answer the phone. She stopped eventually. But yeah seriously how can people believe stuff like that? I don't know.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 pm

We were built with far too much genius to be able to change the pH of our bodies by what we eat. Can't be done. pH can be changed by stuff like Diabetic Ketoacidosis, but there is a 10% mortality risk with each episode, and unless you have type 1 diabetes you can't even go there. See if you can locate an on-line course on acid/base regulation and it will become perfectly clear...it is an entire semester course in college (at least it was when I attended) but it can be done.

Best wishes,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 pm

JDinNC wrote:I believe that baking soda helps raise your body's PH..making it alkaline. Cancer supposedly can't survive in a alkaline environment. This goes the same for lemon/lime and apple cider vinegar. I've been working on trying to raise my PH for months..it's very hard to do.

Probably because (lemon/lime) acids and vinegar (acetic acid) are ... acidic i.e. lower the pH ... i.e make the body LESS alkaline ... ergo more attractive to cancer ...?? .... if that is the reasoning ??

After a few ( 33+ ) years of medical experience / education / practice as a vet ......my understanding is that your body pH is very closely regulated and excess oral baking soda or "acid" is not likely to make any difference.
But please believe what you wish.
I do not agree with you.

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 pm

CRguy wrote:........ BUTT since I am a Moderator here, I would probably piss off my fellow Mods and the Forum Admins and then they would have to "moderate" me :shock:

Ahh... but I'm not a moderator, so I'm free to tell you! Exaussie: you don't 'tell' them -you do a palm strike to the center of the chest or solar plexus, so they fly onto the nearer wall! ; )
For real, now: you tell them... zero! Bow graciously and try to maintain them far away. If you're superwoman, maybe you can try and explain them. But I bet you're beyond worried and tired, just trying to be there for your son... keep your energies, just try and not deal with them. I'm all for patience and trying to understand and help people, but there are situations (and sometimes, people) too extreme to deal with, where you just *have* to preserve you and your loved ones from negative influences. Not judgment involved... but you just don't want that kind of people near your loved one.
Last edited by Maia on Tue May 27, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 pm

There are many other silly theories out there but the baking soda/alkaline diet one especially combined with the whole "cancer is a fungus meme" drives me nuts.

But as a public service I will say this one more time: You can't alter your blood or cellular PH with baking soda or other alkaline substances (or acidic ones for that matter.) (You could probably have an effect with a sodium hydroxide injection if you didn't mind the side effect of death.) In fact you should be quite glad your body tightly regulates ph changes in the blood (you can indeed temporarily change the PH of urine with food). Without a buffering method, you would die if not treated from either acidosis or alkalosis rather quickly.

Now you can change your blood/cellular PH by developing kidney or lung disease or depriving yourself of oxygen. I would not recommend these methods.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Maia wrote:Ahh... but I'm not a moderator, so I'm free to tell you! Exaussie: you don't 'tell' them -you do a palm strike to the center of the chest or solar plexus, so they fly onto the nearer wall!.

Note to Moderators : do NOT mess with Maia :shock: :shock: :shock: .... :mrgreen:
( ... however my personal preference is ippon ken to the nearest vital point ... reference "Bubishi" .... more immediate collapse .... less violence ! I just painted my walls and blood stains are hard to get out !!! ) :mrgreen:

Seriously, Maia is correct.
If we can cultivate an inner sense of calm and our own well being, it is easier to allow the anger to wash over us and AWAY .....
we deal with what we NEED to do, to sustain ourselves and only expend aggressive energies on what we cannot prevent, control, diffuse or reframe to our advantage.

Sorry for the "lecture" but as a smartass here, and a very private person, I am sometimes reluctant to share true feelings where humour and sarcasm will suffice.

Decide what IS real for you.
Promote and defend it with every ounce of energy you have.
Spread the energy with those who understand, and let the rest be who they are...... you will not change them.
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 pm

You need a perfect technique for that, so you don't injure your knucless -i know my limits, so that's out of my reach; I'll stick with my palm strike.
Bare knuckle fist is more painful for the receiver (and immediate collapse... imagine), so it's not less violence -it's more violence, just a tad less spectacular.
There is a moment for peace, and there is a moment for fight. The wise knows when it's the right time for each of them. No attachment to any of those moments. ; )

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Maia wrote: No attachment to any of those moments.

kime
zanshin
mushin

satori

Namasté my friend
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Over seven years ago, when I was in the early days of my first line of chemo treatment, someone I used to work with --and thought highly of at the time -- sent me an email that the cure for cancer is already known and that the "government and big pharma" were keeping it from the general public.
I sent him back an email blasting him for his stupidity and insensitivity. He wrote back that I "shouldn't take things so seriously." I wrote back, "Jackass." Then I deleted him from my address book, blocked any future emails, and haven't thought about him since.
I decided long ago that I do not have time or energy to devote to educating the deliberately obtuse. Let them spout their nonsense elsewhere.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 am

I think we should all band together, with our wackiest stories, and write a book. Bet it would be a best seller! :D Then again, who wants to share these secret rants with anyone outside of the inner circle of these chat lines? Patient or caregiver we get the freedom to tell it like it is and everyone here simply "GETS IT"

And my man......... he deserves to say & feel ANYTHING he wants, ANYTIME he wants. PERIOD. Don't like it....... Gotta go thru me...... do you have the "Huevos" to take ME ON? I think NOT :twisted:

As my hubby somehow designated me the official "researcher" thru his ordeal, I get emails all of the time from friends and well meaning family.
My take Bottom-line is that they Mean well, even if their suggestions are so far off the map, it defies reason and sanity........ I mean SERIOUSLY? Were you dropped on your head?
First time around I thank them, and let them know I LIVE on the gosh darn computer sine Oct 2012....until my eyes pop out researching and have a handle on it (or will find it) THANK YOU......

But hey if they BELIEVE that crap and keep on coming like a freight train, then they deserve to be tied on the track and mowed down.... repeatedly........ until flat as a pancake......... road kill, then tied to the back of my car and dragged......... then strapped on the hood of my car. WE all get ring side seats to watch & clap :lol:

Then again....................... hey I have some left over SNAKE OIL to cure everything THEY have, and a piece of prime Florida SWAMP LAND for sale I KNOW they're going to LOVE!
I just wanna know.........Where do we all meet to party with the proceeds????

Being BAD sometimes feel So GOOD!
Wife of Mike,
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

skypup

Postby skypup » Wed May 28, 2014 3:49 am

michaelbass wrote:And my man......... he deserves to say & feel ANYTHING he wants, ANYTIME he wants. PERIOD. Don't like it....... Gotta go thru me...... do you have the "Huevos" to take ME ON? I think NOT :twisted:

Can I become your sister-wife? I need me some Vicki!

I love the wisdom I find buried here in these threads. A big THANK YOU to MAIA and CRGUY for my latest infusion. Balance, yes; non-attachment yes. Honesty YES! With just a touch of smartass.

I've been on this train a long time, with one of the many blessings being that those people have given up on me and gone about their lives. I haven't received a fruitcake email in over a year. Back when I used to get them, it seemed that first ignoring them and then, if they were persistent, just telling them directly that I've looked into it and don't believe it, but thank you for caring, was all it took. After a few months of getting silly cure emails (just when the fight was hardest on me and my balance), I learned not to let it rock me anymore, a good place to be. And then, if they still don't quit, I say go crazy on their ass (as directed in previous posts) and be sure and tell us about it so we can share the fun!

raym

Postby raym » Wed May 28, 2014 7:18 am

I've had a few co-workers email me information on Dr Bursinski. He offers an unproven (as reported by numerous reliable organizations) cancer treatment for high cost. Perhaps he has had success in some, but when your read deeper it does not ring of a valid treatment (my opinion). They accepted my response that the treatment is unproven, and out of pocket costs are prohibitive.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial