Pregnant with Stage III Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
euclid
Facebook Username: shodgin

Pregnant with Stage III Colon Cancer

Postby euclid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 pm

At 5 months pregnant, what everyone thought were bad pregnancy symptoms finally put me into the hospital. After a few wrong guesses and a colonoscopy, the labs came back positive for colon cancer. A week later they removed the tumor. I start chemo in a few days, I will be on a Folfox regimen. March 22 is my natural due date, so yes, I am still pregnant. They tell me it is rare to have colon cancer and be pregnant at the same time. Has anyone experienced this?

CRguy

Re: Pregnant with Stage III Colon Cancer

Postby CRguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry you have had to join us here but wish you the very best on your own Journey.

There is a recent article which describes your own situation here, and yes, a number of people have been through similar experiences to yours so I hope they might add to your discussion.

In Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

gjsabmor

Postby gjsabmor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 pm

CRGuy - right on point ... that's a great article. Next time, I am coming straight to you for advice.

euclid, I am so sorry you're going through this ... wishing you all the best with your treatments and the rest of your pregnancy.
Mom diagnosed w/mCRC 27 June 2011
Currently in treatment (Folfox + Avastin)
Histologically low-grade adenocarcinoma
2 out of 15 lymph nodes positive

Mys

Postby Mys » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:17 pm

I had cancer already when I was pregnant. Symptoms started before the baby was one, he was 16 months when I was diagnosed. But I didn't know it, so no chemo while pregnant for me.

I am sorry you have to go through this. But hopefully they caught it in time, so both you and the baby can get healthy. The danish study mentioned above seems to conclude the baby can develop normal even if mom is on Folfox.

I wish you all the best.
CC diagnosed June 2010 (at 34), stage 3C. 10/26 lymph nodes. Simultaneous DCIS breast cancer. Lung met first seen on scan March 2012 (6mm), open lung surgery October 2012 (8mm). Biopsy confirmed metastasis. No chemo after lung surgery. NED.

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:51 pm

First off, welcome to the board Euclid. Sorry you have to be here, especially under the circumstances, but glad you found us. There have been a handful of folks here who had cancer while pregnant. Unfortunately we recently lost a member who was stage IV at dx while pregnant and while that reality may be scary; searching through her posts, especially her earlier ones may give you some great information and insight into what you're going through. Her name on the forums is jmarie and was by far our most active member in your situation.

As CRguy's article indicates,

These findings are similar to those of previous studies in which systemic chemotherapy administered during the second and third trimester was relatively safe.

Please don't be afraid of treatment while pregnant. The blood-placenta barrier prevents larger molecules like chemotherapy drugs used for CRC from traversing it and interacting with your baby, so do your best to not worry. Keep us posted with how things go for you, hopefully we can help you out in some way along your journey
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm

It adds an extra level of crap when a pregnant lady is diagnosed... Certainly hoping all goes well for you and bub. As others have said, some chemo's can be given quite safely while pregnant, let the onc and obstetrician guide you. They may also look at delivering early, which sounds scary but may be the best option. I have had two friends this year deliver early (one due to cancer one went into early labour). They delivered at 28 and 29 weeks. Both babies have gone from strength to strength and are now happy little 11 months olds.

Having FOLFOX they will watch you closely, making sure you are getting enough nutrients in to keep bub developing well. Nausea was a big problem for me with FOLFOX but it can be managed with meds. Things like Zofran wafers are safe to use when pregnant. Another friend lived on them due to bad morning sickness with both her pregnancies.

Keep us updated when you have the energy. I may not have kids (hopefully I will one day) but this place is a great sounding board. I loitered for aged reading posts before i actually joined up.

Goodluck.

Georgie
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

thostie

Postby thostie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm

i had cancer while pregnant with both my children. i didn't find out until my second child was already delivered. i started chemo when she was 3 month old. im so sorry you're going through this. i will keep you and your little one in my thought and prayers.
Erin 28 year old mom of two
Stage IV diagnosed 11/2/10
Started chemo (folfiri + avastin) 12/2010
lung mets resolved switched to Xeloda + Avastin 10/2011
6/2012 largest liver tumor started growing again more folfiri + avastin

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 am

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. It really puts my own personal worries and concerns into perspective. I pray that it is all OK.

chrissyl
Facebook Username: christine bryan

Postby chrissyl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 am

Hi,
Wow another one I am soo sorry you are goin through this:( I was 4 months pregnant when diagnosed i also had a 6 month old . I was told to abort bub at 20 weeks so they could do the surgery as i had rectal cancer they didn't think they could get to the tumor with bub inside.I refused to abort so they did the surgery and hoped bub would make it out alive.Well she did it was a 6 hr op. I started chemo 2 weeks later just 5fu no oxaliplatin as they said the drug was new and they didn't have any studies with its use during pregnancy.Thank god i didn't have oxi because when i finally did after bub was born i has a major allergic reaction that nearly killed me. I had 5fu chemo until bub was 31 weeks 6 days and they delivered her by c section so i could be treated with the stronger chemo.I had a little baby girl i named her Indie she was 3 .5 pounds born she spent 2 months in the preemie ward with NO complications and tomorrow is her first birthday yay!!! My miracle bub!!! I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism a week before she was delivered and they think it was a combination of chemo and pregnancy so just beaware if you have any chest pain ect go straight to emergency!!! I waited a week and it could have been fatal!!!!! I continued my chemo after she was born and finished he 7 months worth.. I have a big fat chubby happy , smart baby so the chemo did not affect her in any way!!!! If you want more info just msg me i am more then happy to help I know exactly how scary it is :(

Chrissy
stage 3c rectal cancer dx whilst 20 weeks pregnant
11 out of 19 lymph nodes positive
surgery- clear margins
T2,N2,MO
Portacath
Chemo with 5fu and Leuc
mri came back clear ,abdominal ultrasound clear,Lung scan clear
before surgery.

E0367

Postby E0367 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 am

Euclid,

I'm glad you found this wonderful website and helpful people. I hope above positive information about blood-placenta barrier and Jmarie's posts and Chrissy's great outcome with her pregnancy have helped in dealing with this scary issue. My prayers are with you and your precious bundle.
Ellie
Rectal CA @ 44, 7/11; Clinical: T3, N1, MX (IIIB)
Xeloda & XRT, 8/11; LAR & ileo, 11/11
Surgical: ypT3, ypN0, ypMX (0/5 LN); Folfox 12/11 - 4/12
CT 5/12: lung/abd masses, s/p VATS & abd mass Bx - neg for cancer; Ileo reversal, 6/12
NED

brigita

Postby brigita » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 pm

I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer when my wee one was 4.5 months. Turns out that the bleeding *wasn't* due to hemorrhoids...

Very, very different than being diagnosed while actually pregnant, for sure, but I was undoubtedly sick while preggo.

I wish you and your family all the best in your long road ahead. You will get through this. :)
Stage III rectal @ 33, 4.5mo postpartum
Ovary transpo: 12/07
33 tx rad+Xeloda: 2/08
Lap LAR 0/11 +nodes: 3/08
8 FOLFOX tx: 8/08
Ileo reversal: 9/08
CIPN since 10/08
Normal uterus + lame ovaries = infertile
26.2 11/13
http://mycancerdeployment.blogspot.com

euclid
Facebook Username: shodgin

Postby euclid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 am

CRGuy,

Thanks for the link to the article. It is reassuring. It seems very recent, and I was particularly intrigued by the comment that many more pregnant women are expected to be diagnosed with colorectal cancer in the future. I wish I could read the full article to see if they explain this. I will be printing this out and giving a copy to each one of my doctors.

Does anyone know if each one of our cases goes into some sort of informational database automatically? Or does someone have to decide to do a study or write an article? I want to be a statistic so that the next person and their doctors have that much more info to go on.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and information. I wish you all the best. I am glad this site exists, I am just sorry there are so many of us here.

euclid

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Glad it helped. Maybe one of your docs has access to the original. Don't know if anyone here might either ??????

I suspect that your docs will be keeping patient files with the mind to assembling information for their center. Specific studies would also access that info, depending upon what the topic is. We have a few research knowledgeable folks on here so they will be able to shed more light on that.

Continued best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

klee81
Facebook Username: Katie Lee

Postby klee81 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I realize this is an older post....but I had cancer unknowingly while I was pregnant. My daughter is almost 9 months old now. My polyp showed angiolymphatic invasion. Being that cancer is in the blood and lymph vessels, Does anyone know if cancer cells can travel into the placenta and baby? She seems very happy/healthy and I wasn't at all concerned about it until now....and i'm probably being paranoid.
age 40 F, married two kiddos
Dx age 33 in 2014
4.11:RC - T1N0M0 pre-op
4.15: CT spot on lung will follow
6.9: APR with perm colostomy
6.9: spot on liver benign
6.16: all 16 nodes clear
NED!!!!!
2016 Colondar Model
New Grad RN, future WOC Nurse

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 am

Hi Klee
Not sure what the answer to that is but usually they can check for lynch syndrome to see if it's hereditary
Hope you have nothing to worry about
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”