Ned 1yr...now bright red blood in stool tonight..please read

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Regan

Ned 1yr...now bright red blood in stool tonight..please read

Postby Regan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Hernia surgery scheduled for April 8,...it is a subcoastal hernia and surgeon thinks liver is trying to "ooze" out between rib bones .

Now I see the blood ...no mistaking..bright red in water...pooled around stool..OMG, to have a place I can say that and not create social disgrace.

I am calling dr tomorrow....DH is a quiet, suffer mentally and physically in silence type of guy....tries to make me think he doesn't get worried--doesn't want to worry me, but we both know better without speaking it.

Been reading all your posts for months....now hoping to see if I'm crazy or should prepare myself for rectal recurrence.

I don't want to get blindsided at dr office down the road so I don't fall apart in front of Billy (thank you again POG451)....would rather know now...according to what I have researched....blood (red) in stool is a significant sign of rectal recurrence.

Billy had LAR last April...anastomosis leak ....reversal 9 weeks ago...still lives in bathroom with remodeled plumping.

I am hoping any rectal cancer clubber will set my thoughts straight...good news or bad....I'm better controlling my emotions if I prepare myself

Feel like I actually know soooo many of you that I follow......
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
1/15 local recur, liver, lung, aortocaval region of retroperitoneum, anterior wall of distal abdominal aorta
2/15 Irinotecan
1/16 Lonsurf (fail--just zapped. Strength)
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Re: Ned 1yr...now bright red blood in stool tonight..please

Postby vilca11 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 pm

I do not think it is a recurrence - 3 clean CTs, 5 clean sigs - that means Billi was given Ok almoust every month of the past year! Try to calm down now - it could be his anastomosis or hemorroids or some internal bleeding from reversal, but to believe that something was brewing and they missed it during so many checks is really premature, imho. It can be fast, but that fast to the point of bleeding - do not think so.... Please keep us informed.
Hang in,
Hugs, Vilca :)
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

Regan

Postby Regan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 pm

UGH! You have no idea Vilca How you just completely put my mind to rest.
Do you know me??? LOL!
OF COURSE! You just made me see his past year in a completely new light..... Yes, a test almost every month!!!
I'm truly not a panicker...or didn't use to be....maybe if I were to be realistic, I am becoming a worry wart and I HATE becoming that way.
THANK YOU!!... You are exactly right....he's tested great...a lot!
He's tested great a lot! He's tested great a lot! He's tested great a lot!!!!!

Yeah...it's his anastomsis acting up...the little bugger!

Funny... I use to be the one who helped people see the positive side of things....maybe I was paying it forward :)
Appreciate you and all here!
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
1/15 local recur, liver, lung, aortocaval region of retroperitoneum, anterior wall of distal abdominal aorta
2/15 Irinotecan
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

Cathie

Postby Cathie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

I had bleeding too. It was hemroids. That was four years ago and no mention of cancer since than and I've had three colonoscopies.

Cathie
Dx'd colo rectal cancer Oct 2002
radiation chemo November December 2002
Surgery Mar 2003 which was a temp ileo
Summer of 2003 more chemo
Ileo reversed Mar 2004
Cancer free since then

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 pm

When my plumbing was reconnected I remember a couple of times over the course of a year or so that I had a splash of bright red blood in the toilet water. It kind of came out of nowhere - really isolated incidents. I talked to my surgeon about it and my oncologist - neither were concerned; and I've never had a local recurrence. Sometimes weird stuff like this just happens. Definitely talk to your doctors about it - but I would be more concerned if it was an ongoing problem. And even if it was ongoing, we all know there are soooooo many things that can cause this - so please don't freak out. Get it checked out - but don't freak out. :-)
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Cherie
Facebook Username: cherie

Postby Cherie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:13 am

Hi Regan,

Breath, I have bright red blood every day and just had a biopsy and no cancer. I have a history of inflammation so the rest of my rectum needs to come out. I also have healing issues just from being run down. So go get it checked out, you will need medical intervention but it may not be cancer.

Good luck.
36Yo F
2000 UC
2013 Stage 4 CC 15/126 LN spread to the omentum
June Collectomy all visible cancer removed
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan
8/14 Ileo-anal pouch surgery still NED
1/15 Emergency illeostomy spread to peritoneum and small bowel

Regan

Postby Regan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:02 am

Breathing ...because of you guys....

I realize now I sure was panicking last night....I will send a msg to oncologist just for measure.

With all DH has been thru, you guys have seen and lived thru even worse....and you take the time/effort to assure and reason with me......"thank you" phrase is not strong enough to express my gratitude to you all.
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
2/15 Irinotecan
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

No one here keeps a running tab, but your calm and kindness in helping others apparently really was "paying it forward." We all do what we can, when we can. And sometimes, we're doing our best just to hang in there!
Hope the bleeding issue was truly something insignificant and you can continue to breathe.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Bright red blood means that the bleeding is coming near the 'end' of the plumbing as opposed to occult dark blood from further up in the digestive tract (the kind you usually can't see with the naked eye). Your signature indicates that DH has had five flex sigs in the last year.....now, not knowing exactly how far up they went with the flex sig, it's a pretty good bet that they went far enough up to see something (if it was there) that would be causing the bright red blood. In addition, making a guess that since DH had his reversal about 2 months ago, that one of those flex sigs was just prior to the surgery. I would also assume that during the reversal the surgeon probably did a cursory look.
Certainly none of us can say anything with 100% certainty but, looking at this logically, your DH has been checked repeatedly in the last year....probably most recently in the last 3 months so odds are it's not anything to really worry about. As I didn't have an LAR or a reversal, I can't address any issues about bleeding relating to that. It sounds as though you've been given some good information so try to put your mind at ease and although it's not easy, try to relax.
Good luck.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Regan

Postby Regan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

weisssoccermom, YES, your "assumptions" are all correct--signatures so tell the "story" don't they. Yes, they did Sig one week prior to reversal. Found "red blotches" and took a biopsy. . .Surgeon said it was nothing to be concerned over and proceeded with take down. Biopsy clear. I thought that the pain he still experiences is from "blotches"??

Yes! So hard not to "think too much" or "read into" things. Our Oncologist, whom I just am so thankful we have (glad he was on call that horrid day at the ER), has scheduled Billy for blood every month and also scheduled another CT April 24--even though he just had one end of January. I fight my thoughts that this is a very "aggressive" follow-up and try not worry, but I fail sometimes. . ..like the blood in stool.

Of which, I secretly watch for every time he has a movement. (I got DH to "save" stool and not flush till I got a chance to see it so I could note progress with his new plumbing--but really, I have learned that if there is blood in it, the blood will come out--cause iron is heavier?--and pool in the bottom--making no mistake that it is blood). Since the other night, all but one "production" has shown red blood. Again . . .trying not to lose it again, but GEEZ!!! IT'S GETTING HARD NOT TO!!! LOL!

His hernia is in the Subcostal addomin region (right over his liver) and according to the hernia surgeon is "more difficult to repair" because there are limited muscle areas to sew mesh to. . .Surgeon also thinks his liver is trying to "ooze" thru ribs to get thru the hernia hole and that could be why Billy gets nauscious a lot even though he has not had chemo since Nov 1, 2012 (caused a heart attack--different story :? ) Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday the 8th.

I think. .. Could hernia cause blood?? then I remember that it would be tarrish/dark going thru entire system vs blood red. I'll continue to think positive as much as I can as you guys have said. . .probably is the reversal, the procedures endured, a hemmorid. .. .ANYTHING BUT THE MONSTER!!

I am hugging each and every one of you thru the club. .. . hope you can feel it :wink:
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
2/15 Irinotecan
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

Regan

Postby Regan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:08 pm

dianne052506, I follow you because I've come to "know" and love you. Thanks for the precious post and good wishes
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
2/15 Irinotecan
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”