24 years old 1st colonoscopy results so scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Younginscared

24 years old 1st colonoscopy results so scared

Postby Younginscared » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:19 am

Hi all,

Deep breaths as I write this. I'm "too young" "no chance" is all I kept hearing when saying I feared the worst case. Long story short is I've had rectal bleeding for years now, I wish I had done something sooner as I fear the worst. I finally had a colonscopy yesterday and the doctor found a 43mm (4.3cm) penduculated polyp in the sigmoid. It was removed. The doctors were very Nonspeculative upon leaving and said to await biopsy. Now everything I've read leads me to believe I have cancer and possibly late stage. I've read over 2cm there is 50-75% chance of having cancer already. Someone please help as I sit with now crippling anxiety while I await a week of results.

Thank you

horizon

Re: 24 years old 1st colonoscopy results so scared

Postby horizon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 am

Sorry you're here and having to deal with this so young. I would say to you immediately that you should STOP trying to diagnosis yourself. I did the same thing and upset myself greatly for no reason. What you've described sounds just like me and I was not late stage. You don't know how anything will turn out until you get the official results. Waiting can be torture so don't make it worse on yourself. Worst case if you need chemo/surgery/etc we'll be here to support you!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:16 am

I'm sorry to read you are going through this. Keep in mind, it may not be cancerous, size does not always dictate that so try to keep from reading more scary stuff online if you can. Practice deep breathing and try to
do something to distract yourself while you are in this waiting period, such as watch a funny movie or hang out with a person close to you.

Come back to this forum when you know what's going on and there will be plenty of advice if you need it.

Holding you in light.
Laura
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17 am

"My advice to you is start drinking heavily" no it is not but you weren't even born when that movie, Animal House, came out and you are way too young to have to have a colonoscopy and know what a polyp is. As was stated above, size does not dictate cancer so until you get the final,pathology, please try to breathe and relax. I am an idiot for believing that you are going to do that but find something to keep your mind busy. Also, stay away from Dr. Google as a lot of the information is older than 5 years and there have been many advancements that make getting through a diagnosis a hell of a lot better than it was even 10 years ago. Very tough period you are in playing the hurry up,and wait game but you are doing a lot of things right. You had the test now and are following up on it. You are very young so you have youth on your side to help get through whatever it is, and you found this place. Unfortunately your internet searches brought you to a cancer forum and fortunately it brought you here. There are nothing but wonderful people here in various stages and caregivers who have the biggest Hearts in the world and a large bank of knowledge, love, and support if,and only IF, you need it.
Praying that you can let us know it was benign and move on with your life. If that's the case, make sure you continue to see a GI doctor to get regular scopes to cut out those little buggers before they go wild.
Good luck,
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 am

I wish I could tell you that it's not cancer. I wish I could tell you that if it's cancer, it will likely be early stage. But I'm not a doctor or a pathologist; and only those individuals can give you the answers you are waiting for.
My heart does go out to you. My diagnosis was a complete surprise, so I can't conceive the level of anxiety you must be feeling. I can offer best wishes, and prayers, if they are acceptable to you, and a few pieces of wisdom that may seem trite, but have turned out to be so very true for me over the years.

Worry and anxiety use energy and strength - things that are in short supply for lots of people with no extra issues, and are of major value to a cancer patient. Don't waste your energy and strength over something you can't change.
Today, and until you know for sure otherwise, you don't have cancer. Every minute that you spend worrying, you are giving that time to cancer prematurely. Cancer is a bitch, a mean fighter. Don't give up an inch, or a second that you don't have to.
Resist, if you can, the invitation to use Dr. Google. It won't make you feel any better; therefore, see trite sayings 1 and 2.
Live like you are dying. If you knew you would die tomorrow, today, would you sit around and worry, or would you do the things you love the most, and see the people who are dearest to your heart? None of us know our futures. As long as you are breathing, continue to live, love, and laugh.
We don't have all the answers here, but so many of us have been in your shoes. If you need us, we'll be here -- sometimes with answers, but always with support and encouragement.
Best wishes, strong thoughts, and prayers,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Younginscared

Postby Younginscared » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 am

Thank you all so much so far. I just am in a wierd state. Am I convincing myself I have it when there's a good chance I don't? Or am I thinking what is a strong possibility in that I do have it?

Cathie

Postby Cathie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Thinking you might have cancer is scary no matter what people say. My tumor was 5 cm, that was twelve years ago in Oct of this year. I now have been cancer free for 13 years, and I don't have an ostomy of any kind. But if I was ever told I had to have an ostomy, I would in a heart beat.

Cathie
Dx'd colo rectal cancer Oct 2002
radiation chemo November December 2002
Surgery Mar 2003 which was a temp ileo
Summer of 2003 more chemo
Ileo reversed Mar 2004
Cancer free since then

bellydonna

Postby bellydonna » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 pm

I just wanted to chime in with a similar situation that had a positive outcome. My 36 year old sister had a scare last year with a large polyp (4 cm.) and fortunately hers turned out to be benign. We were very lucky as the Dr. said her type of polyp was the kind that could become cancerous. She is now routinely monitored and other polyps have been removed. Given the type of polyp, I am going in for a colonoscopy in two weeks (38 yrs old).

I wish you the very best of luck. I hope your test results come back quickly and show no malignancy.

Warmly,
Bellydonna

Younginscared

Postby Younginscared » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi everyone.

Completely speechless. I had my colonscopy 36 hours ago and the doctor called me back to say... It was BENIGN. He said they were somewhat pessimistic so they asked for a rushed turn around. Long story short I want to thank everyone for their insight as I prepared for the worst. God bless all of you.

Thanks

Aaron

Younginscared

Postby Younginscared » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm in utter disbelief that I got it turned around so fast. Again thank you everyone and I wish nothing but positivity of your lives. I feel a new lease on life already.

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am

Wow,
Congratulations. I was scared for you when I read your post. Now remember to demand regular monitoring/scopes every couple of years. That way they can cut out any polyps in there before they turn. I am so happy for you.
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:49 am

Younginscared wrote:Hi everyone.

Completely speechless. I had my colonscopy 36 hours ago and the doctor called me back to say... It was BENIGN. He said they were somewhat pessimistic so they asked for a rushed turn around. Long story short I want to thank everyone for their insight as I prepared for the worst. God bless all of you.

Thanks

Aaron

Now you see the danger of playing the "what if" game and doing a self-diagnosis. I did the exact same thing and put myself through a lot of unnecessary torment. Glad you got those great results. Be vigilant about follow-ups and enjoy your new lease on life.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Cathie

Postby Cathie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

I couldn't be happier for you. ....Now, as others have said be sure to get checked often. I tell people who wince at the prospect of a colonoscopy that the test is far less devastating than the cure. The cure being radiation, chemo and surgery, or any combination there of. It's not fun going thru all that but compared to a colonoscopy, the colonoscopy is a walk in the park, in my opinion.

NOW...BE SMART AND GET CHECK REGULARLY.

Cathie
Dx'd colo rectal cancer Oct 2002
radiation chemo November December 2002
Surgery Mar 2003 which was a temp ileo
Summer of 2003 more chemo
Ileo reversed Mar 2004
Cancer free since then

SarahNorthman
Facebook Username: Sarah Northman

Postby SarahNorthman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:01 am

I can't say I have had any experience with this first hand, but I definitely agree with the people saying don't diagnose yourself. In general it never helps. I hope your results home back favorably if they haven't already. All I can suggested is to take care of yourself. Eat healthy, exercise. Stuff like that. I know its not the sure fire way to avoid all this in the future, because it never is. But you can make sure you do your best to live the best life possible.

Hoping the best for you!!!!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”