Outrageous "October Pink" phone call

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
weisssoccermom

Outrageous "October Pink" phone call

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 pm

So late yesterday afternoon, the phone rings and I pick it up. There is a very nice lady on the other end who asks for hubby. I tell her he's not here....can I take a message....and she proceeds to tell me that she can speak to either of us. Ok, now I'm thinking it is somebody from say the mortgage, credit card company, etc. Nope, it is someone who very politely launches into their pitch for breast cancer....yada yada. I listen politely when she asks me if I can help 'my sisters who are fighting this battle and having difficulty paying for treatment'. I should add that normally, I'm not bothered by all the 'October pink'....I feel that for over 25+ years the breast cancer research people have done a tremendous marketing job getting to this point.....but....what happened next just ticked me off! So, I politely tell the woman (and ok, I stretched it a bit) that I am a cancer patient (technically I still get followups so I guess I still am a 'cancer patient') with a different type of cancer and I'm very sorry, but no, I can't help. (ok, I could if I wanted to). What happened then just shocked me. So she says, "well then, YOU can certainly understand how difficult it is to pay for treatment so can we perhaps count on your support for your 'sisters' in this cancer battle for say a donation of $15?" She wouldn't take no for an answer.
My mouth literally dropped open. What didn't this woman understand? If, as she stated, women fighting breast cancer are having a financially difficult time with their treatments, why would it be any different for another cancer patient, male or female..... fighting breast cancer, colorectal, prostate, ovarian, et al....to be able to pay for their treatments? She had absolutely NO idea whether or not I was in treatment, whether or not I had good insurance, etc. yet she kept persisting. I'll give her credit for not giving up but really....

It doesn't matter if you have the best medical insurance or live in a country with free healthcare, there are still other financial problems that can and do go hand in hand with cancer patients. Sure, medical bills can add up really fast but let's not forget that many people fighting this disease are forced to quit work putting an added financial burden on them and their family. Where has good old common sense gone???

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Re: Outrageous "October Pink" phone call

Postby Voxx66 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah that is bad - most likely she was following a script and that is the standard response for what you said. No excuse really. But I have found this is caused by actually answering the phone - something I almost never do unless I am expecting a call. I prefer to pick and choose who I call back and when.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

aartist

Postby aartist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 pm

I have gotten those calls a few times and I understand the need but I tell them I have CC and no one helps me and that usually ends it with the caller backing off. I have had to quit work and have a time keeping the insurance bills paid so I don't have any extra money.
Stage IV sept 2011
colon resection oct. 2011
mets to liver and lungs
various chemos
2 month break
met to shoulder
radiation
back on chemo
progression
current 9/13 Panitumab

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I got a call for breast cancer last year but they quickly let it drop when I told them I had cancer. Sounds like this one may have been a scam. I saw a "breast cancer" call show up on caller ID this week and just didn't answer the call.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Jaynee, I Think a lot of people with the Pink, are getting paid, just like any other telephone solicitors, I have told a few phone solicitors, I was not financially able to help, and just as they start again, I just say I'm not interested, and hang up.
Once you commit yourself to a conversation, they work to get their commission. It's sad but fact, they're just chasing the dollar. I love caller I D and a home phone, I don't need to answer 8)
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:37 pm

It was my fault for answering the phone. Yes, I have caller ID but....didn't have my glasses on to read the tiny numbers/name so.....well the rest is history. I know that they're getting paid and all, but come on....common sense should tell that if you end up talking to another cancer patient....you should say something different than 'can you still help your sisters fighting breast cancer'.
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

GreenMonkey

Postby GreenMonkey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 pm

HATE the pinkwashing! and I am a breast cancer victim. 30% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will end up stage 4 and no one talks about that. It's all the pretty pink bullshit.
RC - T3NXMX depth of invasion 3mm - diagnosed 5/26/13 age 53
High Dose, Internal Radiation at Johns Hopkins resulted in a PCR
LAR 9/10/13 - 0-26 nodes. CEA 1.9 post surgery
XELOX started 10/21/13(8 rounds)
11/14 NED
greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Jaynee. I've told this story many times but "pink October" seems like a good time to do a repeat performace.

I was in treatment sitting in a crowded waiting room. A woman across the room pointed and yelled at me...."breast cancer ?" Well the
devil made me do it I said" NO ass cancer and pointed at my butt"! The whole room burst out laughing :D

Don't get me going on the subject of PINK....drives me nuts :twisted: If my phone rings from a solicitor I just say
"wait a minute, I'll be right back" I then lay the phone down, and put it on speaker". I start to sing and say "please hold on
Mrs xxx will be right with you". Doesn't stop the stupid harassment calls but it makes me laugh :D
Joy
Stage III rectal cancer 2 nodes out of 19
LAR January 4th 2006
2 rounds of FOLFOX
28 continuous radiation with continuous 5FU
6 rounds of FOLFOX
NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:It was my fault for answering the phone.

THAT is the essence Jaynee...... Mybad, Youbad, .....
IF you have caller ID and it is NOT a known number .........Ummmmm......... maybe don't answer ?

OR use my ploy and set up a 1-900- PAY number where they are transferred and told they need to pay so much per minute for the privilege of talking to "me" aka my PAY number :shock:
Surprise surprise ...... have not made any money in the last 2 years : they call, get the transfer message, they bolt ..... MYBAD ....I'm GOOD !!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

NOW the PINK of it ALL :

Been here nearly SIX years.... and we are ALL cancer patients, despite the BC PINK squad having a better public lobby.
EVERY year we all bitch about the October Pink tide.

Anyone actually done anything to promote, deflect, assimilate, incorporate, reflect or harmonize with the actual BC patients ..... ???????

I have heard NOTHING in six years.

The BC Pink tide is obnoxious.
MY mother is about a 12 year survivor of BC ... I am NOT against the BC Pink Tide.
BC initiatives have helped raise awareness in the scientific community, of WHAT cancer is, and HOW that may help ALL cancer studies and treatments progress.

When somebody tries to solicit ME into the Pink Tide, I EDUCATE THEM about the rest of us and try to raise their awareness about a cancer which IS relevant to ALL humans regardless of gender.

Whining on an internet forum, which WE have all done for years will not likely move OUR cause forward.

Kicking out the COLORECTAL BLUE message in a POSITIVE VIBE likely will.
JMO.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I was stopped on the way into the Sear's store and asked " do you want to have a "free" makeup application?" I was directed to go over
to the cosmetic counter to pick up my "free" ticket. The young lady at the counter smiled
sweetly and told me "the tickets are $5 and the proceeds are for breast cancer.
Well I lost it.....told them in no uncertain terms that "I was a colonrectal cancer survivor, and I was NOT happy with being conned into giving to BC charity.

I went to see the store manger and ask him when the store was going to organize an event for colonrectal cancer? He was very sympathetic
and understood my point.....but unfortunately it was not "corporate policy".

I do try to make a difference....I am the poster girl for colonoscopy....I am not "shy" at discussing my experience with colonrectal cancer.

Unfortunately colonrectal cancer is perceived as being an "old folk disease".
Joy
Stage III rectal cancer 2 nodes out of 19
LAR January 4th 2006
2 rounds of FOLFOX
28 continuous radiation with continuous 5FU
6 rounds of FOLFOX
NED

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 pm

My beef wasn't with the 'pink' part.....actually, I'm not against the pink per se. I remember when I was a little girl and a woman would go in for a breast biopsy and possibly come out with a radical mastectomy. Geez, back then you didn't say the word BREAST unless you were talking about eating a chicken breast and even then.....well, it wasn't done. So no, I don't have a problem with the October pink stuff. I know a lot of people do...they think it's oversaturation and all. Me, I look at it as those Susan Komen's sister went on a crusade and a very powerful one at that. I don't fault her, her motives or how it has all morphed into what it is today. I don't fault corporations, sports teams, cities, etc. from all being a part of it. I didn't even care that the person on the other end of the phone was someone trying to raise money for breast cancer research. Heck, although I have no family history of breast cancer, I am smart enough to know that it could affect me in the future.

The thing that bothered me, that got under my skin was the notion that I, as a cancer patient understood the monetary difficulties that cancer treatment entails and yet they had the GALL to keep pressing me to donate. How the heck did this person know that I wasn't in the exact same situation (monetarily) that the people they're raising money for are in??

I am not complaining about the 'pink' but rather the insensitivity and total ignorance of the stupid person on the other end of the phone. I have to believe that she meant well.....but just lacked common sense.
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Sorry Jaynee, just read your title with the Outrageous "October Pink" phone call tag and while I touched on the phone jerk aspect ...just went for the PINK part as you had stated that was the focus of your own annoyance call !
MyBad.

Have just been doing an update on my own home internet / phone security software, and have started to track all the a-holes who annoy me. Have just nuked two recent international scams as a result of my computer contacts and real world experiences .......
we shut them down for impersonating federal / police agencies !!!!! My GOOD ! happy dance !!!!
You said it ALL Jaynee ......
It was my fault for answering the phone. Yes, I have caller ID

I also just spent the last two weeks dealing with nuking and getting rid of supposedly "legitimate ?" callers and online A-holes.

WE are almost always TOO polite, well maybe NOT me ... but yeah usually we tend to be.

IF someone is obnoxious on the phone, on THIS forum, or otherwise online ............HANG UP on them.

Just remember this : the longer they have you in conversation, online or interacting with THEM ....

THEY are :
1. making money
2. tracking you
3. pissing you off
4. logging your contact information for the next round of a-hole calls.

Ummmmm...
GOT better things to do with my life, like nuking their sorry asses = YES.
Talking to them to keep wasting my time = NO.

JMO
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 pm

I have known several people who did high pressure fund raising calls (one went to jail for his "work" - apparently you can't promise that each dollar donated gives you an entry in a non-existent lottery) and they are ruthless. If done right they have a script that covers all likely responses and they will quickly flow into new lines of attack depending on your objections and big operations will have supervisors making sure they do what they are supposed to do. If I happen to answer the phone I find it entertaining to try to get them off script by asking odd questions or giving unexpected responses.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

This irritates me as well and you can't escape it because it's at the stores too. Safeway is a big one. I go there to buy my groceries, not be solicited for breast cancer. For which I am very aware as my mom had breast cancer and I have been screening for it well before I was 40 with mammograms and MRIs. Who knew I should have been looking at my ass too! Lol. Anyway, my newest response at stores or wherever I get solicited is "I'm sorry I already donated 12+ inches of my colon and rectum to rectal cancer, so I'm totally out of items to donate at this point". That usually stops them in their tracks...mentioniong colon and rectum is an immediate conversation ender.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Postby DBF » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 pm

My son's school is having a Breast Cancer Awareness day at his high school tomorrow. The kids are supposed to wear pink and they have a gift sale to raise money.

My son is wearing a pink shirt, but he's wearing a blue ribbon on the shirt and plans to tell people why. He's supporting the BC day (well, he also did say that wearing pink entitles him to shop for the cool gifts), but he also wants people to know something about colorectal cancer.

I'm thinking of organizing a similar awareness day at his school in March. :-)
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg