Anyone have panic attacks? What do you do?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
michelle c

Re: Anyone have panic attacks? What do you do?

Postby michelle c » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 am

I'm sorry that you are going through all this Bev. Fear and panic is a terrible thing. I know first hand and it sucks big time. All I can suggest is that you take one day at a time, try not to think too much about the future. It's too hard to try and predict the future. I hope you can get some sleep. It's awful to not be able to sleep when we desperately need it. Thinking of you, I'm in bed because it's Saturday night here. I'm just about to turn my light off and I'm going to do a special prayer for all my colon club family.

Michelle xox
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 am

Hey Bev,
Your life right now is pretty hectic and non-stop; that's what brought my anxiety to full blown homeboundness. I refused medications for six months but stayed at home for fear of having an attack. Live on the wrong side of a river...that bridge was a major, major trigger.
I succumbed to medication after personal review; and have been on Paxil for well over 15 years. The dosages have been flexible through those years, but never without it. I have Klonopin for rescue and need a small dose every few days, but I only have "warning signs" now; not full blown like I lived with all my life. Silver lining was I learned the benefits of breathing and meditation and especially naps, strategies I still use.
I hope you find the method that helps you, they are horrible and you have bigger fish to fry. Go easy on you, ask for help and put one foot in front of the other.
Best wishes for overcoming this challenge.
Lorraine
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 am

I got panic attacks after my stepdaughter was killed any time I had to be in public. My doc put me on Xanax and I think I took it for about three months as I slowly came to realize that people weren't staring at me everywhere I went. It just took a while. Hope you found your stash last night and got some sleep!
Hugs ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

jacekica
Facebook Username: jasminka marout

Postby jacekica » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I am sorry, I have no advice, I just read all the answers and hope to hepl myself also. I am so mad, cancer is nasty enough and still we had to go through this panic attacs and fear episodes from time to time, for me time is now, because just recently I found out I am stage IV, and I am almost crazy of fear, attac end usually with histericakl crying, lot of tears, stuffed nose and than so big tiredness .......
It is so hard for you, you have so much pain, cancer and worry besides your own diagnosis - I can just suggest - take a xanax, i just did, reading this thread I phoned and ask if I can take it with matrifen (phentanyl) patch. I think in our sitation we just had to take everything we can to be better - if it is another pill, take it.
Dx 2/11
surgery 5/11, T2N0MX, G2, SRC rectal ca, 22 cm removed
CT- numerous mets in abdomen - LN, 2 big ones on pancreas, one penetrated right urether. Surgery, they just take samples for PHD, 6 roundds 5FU, refuse further chemos

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:57 pm

In case you're interested, there's a book entitled Anticancer that has a couple of chapters dealing with things like fear, anxiety, etc., within the context ot cancer. The general theme of these chapters is that the cancer patient must gain control over such emotions in order to successfully combat cancer and its possible recurrence

Anticancer, by David Servan-Schreiber, MD,PhD

Chapter 9 - The Anticancer Mind pp.146-184

Chapter 10 - Defusing Fear pp185-194
• The Fear of Suffering - The Fear of Nothingness
• The Fear of Being Alone
• The Fear of Being a Burden
• The Fear of Abandoning Your Children
• The Fear of Unfinished Stories

"[In]this revised edition we must pay close attention to the mind-body connection ; especially the negative impact of prolonged feelings of helplessness and despair..."

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Indica strains of medical marijuana or xanax

Mark
Last edited by Rockovage on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 M
Colonscopy 2/13, DX stage 1 rectal cancer
open LAR 3/13 12in. colon / rectum removed
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

MitchellVII

Postby MitchellVII » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 am

I have had many many panic attacks over my life, especially when my hemoglobin levels had fallen to 7 pre-dx. Anyone who has had one can tell you they aren't pretty.

One of the things that happens during a panic attacks is that you hyperventilate and get too much CO2 in your blood. This is why getting oxygen almost always makes a panic attack much better very quickly. Since most of us don't have an oxygen canister lying around the house, I have found a substitute.

Vick's Inhaler. Yep, that little plastic tube you stick up your nose to help you breath when you have a cold. When I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a few drags on that and guess what, panic attack subsides. You aren't getting oxygen but the sensation is that you are and it fools your brain into relaxing. I have used this many times to great effect and it has prevented countless attacks I knew were coming.

** Another thing which helps is to take a deep breath, hold it for 5 seconds and slowly let it out. This is hard at first but force yourself. By intentionally slowing your breathing you reduce the hyperventilation effect.
Stage IIA CRC Dx 03/08
Full right colectomy with 32 Lymph Nodes removed
Tumor 6 cm long by 2 cm thick in right ascending colon, 1/2 villous adenoma
MSI-High (MLH-1 indicated)
Factor V Leiden (Blood Clotting)
NED (as far as I know)

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am

Bev,
Have you ever tried Ambien or Lunesta for sleep? I did not see anywhere that you mentioned it. Both of those drugs have been helpful for me in the past. Deep breathing exercises have been helpful for me when I feel anxious. I do hope you can find a way to get some restful sleep.
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Bev -

I have an old history of panic attacks. I was on Paxil for a couple of years with Xanax for breakthrough. I'm long off Paxil, but I still keep Xanax around. I find that it quickly quells an attack, and even better, just keeping it around and letting me know there is something I can do to help an attack actually results in far fewer panic attacks.

I don't think you should be afraid to take Xanax for the occasional panic attack.

Take care,
Betsy
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm

I was having what my onc termed 'panic attacks' but my gastro said since I am always anxious that he believes I have PTSD from my recurrence. I spoke with my primary who agreed and changed me to Klonopin (generic). I was told to take 1/2 to 1 pill three times a day as needed. Most days I take 1/2 of the .5 mg two, possibly three times a day. Right now, that's not working. My 18 month post liver resection PET/ CT (w/o contrast) is on Oct. 11th and I'm already having 'disease of the day' type concerns. Today I broke down and took a full .5mg.

I absolutely HATE the fear that cancer brings!

BTW..... I'm just shy of 4 years 9 months from original Stage IIIB dx and 1 year 9 months since Stage IVa was dx'd. In Jan. 2009 I was told I had a 68% chance of living 5 years. In April 2012 I was told I have a 72% chance of living 5 years and that was after the liver met was removed.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Peteswife

Postby Peteswife » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Hallo Bev! You know me well! No introductions here!

But I will rather talk here about it than on facebook. When Peter was sick, I have a lot of panic attacks because of the uncertainties. He handled the money, he handled everything. I didn't know how to do internet banking, because he handled that. And he did that till 2 months before he passed away. I had panic attacks about how am I going to know even who to pay at the end of the month if he is not there. I couldn't take that out of his hands, because till 2 months before he passed away, he still did that, and that gave him still a sense of worthiness. He still can do something. But in my head, I knew he as getting sicker and sicker, and I need to learn stuff. But I couldn't take that away from him, till ... the day that I saw the accounts which we fetch from the postbox, was just lying there. He didn't do it anymore. Then only I realized when the cancer had spread to his meninges, that he battled to read. He couldn't do it anymore. And then I had to learn VERY VERY quickly. Thrown in at the deep end, you will learn. Believe me. Also, when you know that your paperwork is in order, you feel better. Because he had cancer over a period of 9 years, our paperwork was perfect. Different box files. Number 1, was for in case of emergency. All the documents I needed was in there. Number two the properties, number three, the cars, number 4 the children's stuff for universities, bank, etc. Number 5 policies and funeral stuff that weren't in number 1. Number 6 - everything else that was important. Those files were in the study and I knew that and when I came back from the hospital the day that he passed away, I took up file number 1. In case of emergency. And everything I needed was there. From his divorce certificate from a previous marriage, to his pension forms, certified ID's - everything I needed to let the church know, as well as the people who had to finalize the estate.

THe weekend before he went to hospital (long weekend Easter weekend last year - he was so sick, on oxygen, with no energy on full dose steroids, he was laying in bed and I lay with him in the room to be with him. Spending time with him and realizing he was very sick. I started talking to him about when he is not here anymore. He just know and realized there was not much time left. He knew, don't ask me how, but he did. And there and then we organized his funeral together. He told me which funeral services he wanted. How and where he wanted the coffin at the church. He chose what songs he wanted them to play in church. If he wanted a collage of photo's or a power point presentation. Our daughter Michelle teaches computers at school, so he chose that. Also the reason why I took a lot of photo's and specifically every time we went to the oncologist. You could see how he got worse on a monthly basis. When I took him out to the shops just to get him out of the house, not to get depressed he taught me what plastic rope to buy for the weed eater. He taught me how to backwash and rinse the swimming pool. We both knew the end was near and we handled everything gracefully for our kids's part. To keep it softer on them. In retrospect, looking back now I was on autopilot and because I knew everything was in order, I was more at peace and had no panic attacks any more and I could concentrate on him and spend quality time with him till the end. You are not certain of Steve's health, but my advice would be that you see to it that everything else is in order. That would give you a little bit more peace of mind for the future. After he passed away I was still on auto pilot. I did what I had to, finalized the estate etc., but when everything settled, I could not concentrate for long. A year after he passed I could not watch a movie till the end, of read a book. Just because of concentration that still wondered to what had happened to me and him. I survived. 17 months later I am still here, and the kids and I go on, just as we lived before. Because the paperwork was in order. I still work half day at the University, and all money matters are solved. I had to learn how to deal with it, and I had to learn quickly. But I must add, that I was seeing an Endocrinologist, and he tested everything, and he put me on medication and said we can't change my situation, but we can change how I deal with it. And that is very true. Please get something for yourself to calm yourself. You don't have to go through all this panic attacks. Lots of love Bev, you know I have great sympathy for your situation, because I went through it myself. And after all this time, I can say I don't know you, but I love you!
After 8,5 years living with CRC, Pete passed away on 17/4/2012. We had lots of quality time, we said our goodbyes! I am at peace because he doesn't suffer anymore! He is now better off with the Lord! We will surely miss him very very much!!

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi Bev, sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. I find Xanax to be helpful for anxiety. I did get anxiety attacks years ago and the xanax helped. Still take it when my anxiety comes back. Pot does help as well. Best of luck and you and your husband are in my prayers. Kristi
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:00 am

teachpdx wrote:Hi Bev, sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. I find Xanax to be helpful for anxiety. I did get anxiety attacks years ago and the xanax helped. Still take it when my anxiety comes back. Pot does help as well. Best of luck and you and your husband are in my prayers. Kristi

Thank you! I am very glad to be moving to a sane State where medical marijuana is legal. I certainly won't be using it every day, but am anxious to see if it will help my neuropathy, and know it will help with anxiety (I am an adolescent of the early 70s, LOL).
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 am

Peteswife wrote:Hallo Bev! You know me well! No introductions here!

But I will rather talk here about it than on facebook. When Peter was sick, I have a lot of panic attacks because of the uncertainties. He handled the money, he handled everything. I didn't know how to do internet banking, because he handled that. And he did that till 2 months before he passed away. I had panic attacks about how am I going to know even who to pay at the end of the month if he is not there. I couldn't take that out of his hands, because till 2 months before he passed away, he still did that, and that gave him still a sense of worthiness. He still can do something. But in my head, I knew he as getting sicker and sicker, and I need to learn stuff. But I couldn't take that away from him, till ... the day that I saw the accounts which we fetch from the postbox, was just lying there. He didn't do it anymore. Then only I realized when the cancer had spread to his meninges, that he battled to read. He couldn't do it anymore. And then I had to learn VERY VERY quickly. Thrown in at the deep end, you will learn. Believe me. Also, when you know that your paperwork is in order, you feel better. Because he had cancer over a period of 9 years, our paperwork was perfect. Different box files. Number 1, was for in case of emergency. All the documents I needed was in there. Number two the properties, number three, the cars, number 4 the children's stuff for universities, bank, etc. Number 5 policies and funeral stuff that weren't in number 1. Number 6 - everything else that was important. Those files were in the study and I knew that and when I came back from the hospital the day that he passed away, I took up file number 1. In case of emergency. And everything I needed was there. From his divorce certificate from a previous marriage, to his pension forms, certified ID's - everything I needed to let the church know, as well as the people who had to finalize the estate.

THe weekend before he went to hospital (long weekend Easter weekend last year - he was so sick, on oxygen, with no energy on full dose steroids, he was laying in bed and I lay with him in the room to be with him. Spending time with him and realizing he was very sick. I started talking to him about when he is not here anymore. He just know and realized there was not much time left. He knew, don't ask me how, but he did. And there and then we organized his funeral together. He told me which funeral services he wanted. How and where he wanted the coffin at the church. He chose what songs he wanted them to play in church. If he wanted a collage of photo's or a power point presentation. Our daughter Michelle teaches computers at school, so he chose that. Also the reason why I took a lot of photo's and specifically every time we went to the oncologist. You could see how he got worse on a monthly basis. When I took him out to the shops just to get him out of the house, not to get depressed he taught me what plastic rope to buy for the weed eater. He taught me how to backwash and rinse the swimming pool. We both knew the end was near and we handled everything gracefully for our kids's part. To keep it softer on them. In retrospect, looking back now I was on autopilot and because I knew everything was in order, I was more at peace and had no panic attacks any more and I could concentrate on him and spend quality time with him till the end. You are not certain of Steve's health, but my advice would be that you see to it that everything else is in order. That would give you a little bit more peace of mind for the future. After he passed away I was still on auto pilot. I did what I had to, finalized the estate etc., but when everything settled, I could not concentrate for long. A year after he passed I could not watch a movie till the end, of read a book. Just because of concentration that still wondered to what had happened to me and him. I survived. 17 months later I am still here, and the kids and I go on, just as we lived before. Because the paperwork was in order. I still work half day at the University, and all money matters are solved. I had to learn how to deal with it, and I had to learn quickly. But I must add, that I was seeing an Endocrinologist, and he tested everything, and he put me on medication and said we can't change my situation, but we can change how I deal with it. And that is very true. Please get something for yourself to calm yourself. You don't have to go through all this panic attacks. Lots of love Bev, you know I have great sympathy for your situation, because I went through it myself. And after all this time, I can say I don't know you, but I love you!

Ilse, you are amazing and wonderful. What an awesome friend you have become over the past year! Thank you for explaining some of how you got through. I love you so much. xoxox
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

janderson

Postby janderson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 am

Generally I pray intensly and it goes away. I did ask for Ativan the last two times I had bad scan results to calm me down in general. Although I usually only needed them for a few days until reality set in and I was back in full fighting mode.
DX 10-05 stage IV
liver resection 12-05 Folfox1-05 to 7-06
Liver resection 8-07 Folfiri 9-07 to 3-08
Liver resection 12-11
Recurrence 2/7/2014, liver, chestwall mets, 16 rounds chemo
7/3/14, y90 radioembolization, steady shrinkage
12/8/14, cryoablation to liver and chest wall
6/1 to 6/26 SBRT radio surgery
7/2 more cryo ablation to right lung
7/16 lung infection drain tube installed
9/4 chest wall resection to remove 2 ribs

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”