allergic reaction to Oxi

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
debzak

allergic reaction to Oxi

Postby debzak » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:30 am

So last wednesday I went to Sloan for my chemo and liver pump fill. It has been my 2nd time there for chemo and I had 8 rounds of Oxi and 5-FU last spriing. Out of the blue I starting getting warm and itch from the Oxi. Nurse said it happens. They stopped the meds, gave me benadryl, I got my 5-FU and went home.

So, I am wondering what is going to happen at next weeks visit? Will they try the Oxi again, or just switch me to something else? I have to say I am enjoying my 2 weeks without the Oxi side effects.

Anyone have this happen to them? And of course my doctor is Dr. Kemeny :)

debbi
2/27/12 dx rectal cancer (stage III)
3/6/12 44th B-day
3/19/12 Oxi & 5-FU (8 rounds)
7/9/12 chemo-rad
11/5/12 LAR surgery temp ileo
1/20/13 4 rounds Xeloda
5/13 multiple liver mets
6/4/13 HAI pump at Sloan
KRAS wild & BRAF mutation found :(

Ehut

Re: allergic reaction to Oxi

Postby Ehut » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Sounds exactly like the reaction I had at my 7th Oxaliplatin infusion. I had felt it at an earlier one but the symptoms subsided on their own and I never told anyone about it. I was switched to FOLFIRI for the remaining cycles.
Dx 12/11 rectal stage IV w/ 6 mets to liver, age 35
4 cycles FOLFOX 12/11 to 2/12
short course radiation 2/12
rectal/liver resection 3/12, temp ileostomy
8 cycles FOLFOX/FOLFIRI 4/12 to 8/12
ileostomy reversal 10/12
port out 10/13
1/17: Added daughter to family!
12/19: Added son to family!
NED for 11+ years and counting!

mjkelley

Postby mjkelley » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:12 pm

When I started having reactions to the Oxi, we slowed the infusion to 4 hours instead of 2.

I did keep having reactions, but they were somewhat lessened by slower infusion and premeds. We were always "tweaking" the premeds.

Good luck
DX 1/30/10 @ 49
stage iv with In-numerable mets to Liver
Treatment plan: Chemo for life
40 rounds folfox Feb 2010 to October 2011
Dropped oxi October 2011
REDUCTION OR NO NEW GROWTH
July 2013 Growth
Back on oxi July 2013
More Growth
Folfori October 2013

Hall0731
Facebook Username: Teresa Hall

Postby Hall0731 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm

I had a reaction to the oxi on my 6th round. I went thru all the effects except my throat closing shut. My oncologist pulled me completely off the oxi and I finished out with teh 5fu and the leukovorn. I can't say I miss the oxi at all. Waiting and watchin this spot on my lung for growth before we have to try something else. Hopefully this spot is nothing.
Dx 7/12 stage 3
8/13 1 lung met & 5 liver mets
1/14 2 sided liver wedge resection
3/14 lung wedge resection
10/14 It's back. 1 liver lesion
2nd liver resect. 1/5/15 Clean
5/22/15 back again 5-10 lung mets

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Debzak,
I don't know the percentage but I know it's not terribly unusual to have an allergic reaction to oxaliplatin.
Don't mean to be rude, Ehut, but not mentioning the possible side effects could have caused serious problems. I had a couple of rounds like Debzak, and my onc had slowed down the drip, plus added oral steroids for a couple of days before the infusion, in addition to the IV premed.
The next infusion, the nurse started the drip and walked around the corner. Within 15 seconds, I starting getting warm, had chest and back pain, and difficulty breathing. I couldn't even talk, my throat was closing up so quickly. Thank God another patient saw me and called for the nurse. Another minute and I could have ended up in the emergency room.
My onc and I discussed an oxaliplatin desensitization procedure where the drug is infused over either 12 or 24 hours (sorry, I forgot which), and must be done in the hospital in ICU. He said he would only consider that as a very last resort, and even the onc at MDA said that the desensitization could only be temporary and I could have another reaction.
Debzak, I'm sure with Dr. K's reputation, she will be on top of things. You might get by with no worse a reaction, or it could be severe. If you don't already, for the next infusion, might be a good idea to have someone with you, paying attention to just you.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

rodey

Postby rodey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am

I developed a reaction as well; however I did still receive oxi throughout the entire treatment. When the reaction got severe (I was at a point where I couldn't breathe), benedryl was added to the cocktail. I was fine just super sleepy.
-Rose-
38 years old
Initial Stage IIIb diagnosis in Dec 2010 @ 34 y.o.
Now Stage IV with lung mets.
Miss December 2014
http://www.colonclub.com/the-2014-colondar/december-2014/

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I broke out in splotches on tx approx. # 7 -12. The first time they stopped tx and waited til my splotches went away then slowed down infusion. The next 5 tx's, I was given Ativan AND Benadryl. I slept through all remaining tx's. HOWEVER, I had L'Hermitte's Sign and just assumed it was a normal sensation. My onc told me later that Oxi would have been discontinued if I'd told him about that problem. He also said I can never take oxi again.

L'Hermitte's Sign is an electrical shock sensation that runs into your ankles/ feet when you bend your head forward. It's usually found in MS patients or people who have damaged their spine but is a side effect of chemo and is permanent.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm

There was no break from oxi for me, Benadryl for all following infusions.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

mstults

Postby mstults » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Funny Diane, I had those sensations when bending my head forward quickly. I just thought it was normal too. It's gone away since I've been off oxaliplatin.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

mom_2_3

Postby mom_2_3 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Debbi,

I see the same doctor. In April 2009 I was receiving Oxali #7 (2nd treatment after liver resection). About 1 minute into infusion I started to taste metal and felt "weird." I asked my sister to get a nurse and when they got back within a minute I was passed out. I went into cardiac arrest and chest compressions did not revive me. Finally I came back and had a pulse with the second epinephrine shot given directly into my sternum. Later my sister told me that there were about 15 people around me working on me. One of the nurses told me later that she managed to save my jeans as she knew they were "good" ones although the rest of my clothes were cut off of me while unconscious.

Once conscious I was sent to Columbia Pres and stayed 2 days in their cardiac unit under observation. Doctors there told me I would definitely have heart issues but follow-up tests indicate no damage to it.

When I returned for infusion #8 I was told Dr K was holding all oxali from there on out. A friend of mine had a mild allergic reaction to oxali and Dr K won't even discuss de-sensitization with her so that she can try it again.

Don't mean to scare you with my story. But as mentioned, be aware of how you're feeling as you are infused and I would always have a companion with you. I think if my sister hadn't been there a nurse might have thought I had fallen asleep. The nurses in the chemo room still won't put me in the chemo room in which I had my episode.

Maybe we can meet sometime. I am in Morris County near Morristown.

Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

debzak

Postby debzak » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I won't be "upset" if the oxi is taken out of my cocktail. I had a much nicer 2 weeks without it!! I was able to drink normal and cold beverages and got some of my taste buds back.

I even thing the stupid steriods are giving me a appetite, I am always hungry now :) (not that I want to put back on too much of the weight...I could get into my wedding dress if I wanted too!)

I will let everyone know on wednesday what happens... I just really want the liver enzymes to go down so they can fill the liver pump with meds... I think that is the primary objective here.

Debbi
2/27/12 dx rectal cancer (stage III)
3/6/12 44th B-day
3/19/12 Oxi & 5-FU (8 rounds)
7/9/12 chemo-rad
11/5/12 LAR surgery temp ileo
1/20/13 4 rounds Xeloda
5/13 multiple liver mets
6/4/13 HAI pump at Sloan
KRAS wild & BRAF mutation found :(

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”