LIver Transplant for MCRC Stage 4

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
GraceSkar

LIver Transplant for MCRC Stage 4

Postby GraceSkar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:51 am

I know someone with MCRC Stage 4 plus extensive mets of around 85% of the liver.
Aggressive met growth is around 15% per month.

Would there be any chance that they can have a Liver Transplant?

I have not been able to find any information anywhere about a transplant done on a patient with Stage 4 Colon Cancer.

Does anyone know of a patient who has had a transplant with Stage 4?

Thank you

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: LIver Transplant for MCRC Stage 4

Postby Bev G » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:32 pm

I could swear I just read this same question on another thread!!! I must be losing it :wink: No one would do a liver transplant for metastatic CRC to the liver, the theory being that it would waste a transplantable liver which would theoretically immediately re-fill with liver mets. Someone just posted something about researchers working with mice to grow new livers, but human applications will be a long way off.

HTH,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Bev is absolutely right ... the general understanding is that stage IV colon cancer is, in most cases, a systemic disease. So, even if a new liver was made available through transplant, there is still a possibility that the new organ will be affected by circulating tumor cells.

Liver transplant, however, is a common consideration in advanced pancreatic cancer ... I wonder what is the difference?
Stage IV CC

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Liver transplantation is possible for CRC patients. It has been done in Norway with fairly good success:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23360920

As one would expect patients with less severe liver tumor burden do better, but it is doable. Problem in the states is a shortage of organ donors. It seems Nordic folks are more willing to be donors in general than we are here. It doesn't surprise me.

Rad
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

mom_2_3

Postby mom_2_3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Grace,

As already responded above, liver transplants are not done for MCRC. I am very concerned about the extent of liver affected and would recommend that you immediately contact Dr. Nancy Kemeny at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. She is the expert in something called HAI (hepatic arterial infusion pump). This involves implanting a chemo device into the abdominal cavity and routing highly concentrated chemotherpy directly into the liver. It has had good success in making previously ineligible patients eligible for liver resection. I have met a number of people who had livers covered in tumors and had great success. Google her name and you will find the link contact information for her office. Instead of going through the main referral call her office directly. You will need to send all appropriate files. I would not delay in seeking aggressive liver treatments.

I wish your friend all the best,
Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm

radnyc wrote:Liver transplantation is possible for CRC patients. It has been done in Norway with fairly good success:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23360920

As one would expect patients with less severe liver tumor burden do better, but it is doable. Problem in the states is a shortage of organ donors. It seems Nordic folks are more willing to be donors in general than we are here. It doesn't surprise me.

Rad

Very interesting study, and I'm glad you posted it. The numbers are way too small, but are interesting and encouraging for what might become possible in the future. I truly wish someone would mount a much larger scale study. The reluctance of people to sign up to be organ donors in this country is indeed heartbreaking.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

curious56

Postby curious56 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Uh, the immune suppressant drugs REQUIRED for any organ transplant would most likely cause cancer to go WILD! Even a family history of cancer makes drugs like Cellcept unsuitable for use in autoimmune disorders. Any anti-rejection drugs would most likely HASTEN the demise of a cancer patient, rather than the transplant adding years of life. Google Cellcept and you will see that a possible side effect is lymphoma and/or skin cancer.

Taking CellCept with other anti-rejection medicines may raise your chance of getting an infection. It may raise your chance of getting cancer of the immune system (lymphoma) or other cancers, such as skin cancer. Talk with your doctor right away if you have any signs of infection such as fever, tiredness, headache, redness of skin/wound or swollen lymph glands. Tell your doctor about any changes in your skin.

http://www.cellcept.com/cellcept/

I know a lady who took Cellcept for an autoimmune disorder. She had previously been treated for a malignant thymoma and had been declared cured. After taking Cellcept, her cancer came back -- aggressively! I know another friend whose father received a heart transplant, then died from pancreatic cancer about 5 years later. His doctors said that cancer several years after transplants is all too common. :(
dx 12/12 with CC Stage IIIB - T3N2aMO
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Xelox 2/13 -- stopped, BAD side effects
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13
Met to abdomen - surgery 7/14
Philippians 4:6-7

GraceSkar

Postby GraceSkar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Thank you all so much for your response.

I will definetly look into contact Dr. Nancy Kemeny.

We are located in Australia, however willing to travel to get treatments.

Only other option I am guessing would be to be apart of a clinical trial/research?

We do have a willing family donor, however it seems as tho no doctor or hospital will do the transplant.

I have contacted many surgeons and been told advised it is contraindication for the transplant.

I feel like I have hit a wall :(

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”