Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
garbovatwin

Re:

Postby garbovatwin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:38 am

Magnolia wrote:My aunt and uncle both loved GoLytely when it first came out. I'm not fond of any of it, but when people say 'the prep is the worst part' I have to disagree. That first time, the RESULTS were the worst part.

GoLytely. I threw up three times prepping with it, then cancelled my appt. because some scheduling nurse had moved my appointment back.
(I have a bit of a phobia about waiting to get that six foot scope inside me that has been in others).

I really want my cscopy on the 29th to be as readable as possible, but it HAS to be something other than GoLytely. I would have a hard time getting near
a bottle of that again.

You are so right when you say the worst part is the RESULTS though.

jamiana
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

garbovatwin

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby garbovatwin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:18 am

Magnolia wrote: Very, very funny! He says he wished the toilet had seat belts. LOL!! He compared the effect to a space shuttle launch. Sounds about right.

Haaaaaaaaaaaa! Too Funny.
Crohn's Colitis
Stroke Sep 2012

kitty,rn

Postby kitty,rn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Magnolia wrote: Has anyone read Dave Barry's description of his colonoscopy prep? I think it's on the board somewhere. Very, very funny! He says he wished the toilet had seat belts. LOL!! He compared the effect to a space shuttle launch. Sounds about right.

I searched this site for the Dave Barry article but couldn't find it, so I did a Google search and found it here: http://www.miamiherald.com/todaysextras ... 27603.html

A few funny parts about MoviPrep from the article:

"Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes -- and here I am being kind -- like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, ''a loose watery bowel movement may result.'' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet."

:D

I'd never heard of MoviPrep before reading about it here. I had Golytely for my first colonoscopy-- mixed it with Lemon Crystal Light which I will never drink again, and was able to choke it down by alternating swigs of Golytely with sips of hot, black tea. The next prep a month and 1/2 later with a different doctor was two 1.5 oz bottles of Fleet Phospho-Soda mixed in ginger ale. Horrible, but easier than the gallon of Golytely. A month and 1/2 after my second colonoscopy, I had my first surgery and drank 64 oz of Gatorade mixed with Miralax for the prep along with all the antibiotics. Tasted a little better than Golytely, but still icky-- the hot black tea helped get it down again. For my final 2 surgeries when I had an ileostomy, I was ordered a bottle of Magnesium Citrate each time, around 2 months apart. I had the most trouble with the Mag Citrate for some reasons. I don't know whether I just couldn't take one more bowel prep (5 total in 1 year's time) or if it was its vile taste. I can sort of start gagging just thinking about it! :?
Stage I rectal cancer 2/07, age 51, found during colonoscopy
Laparoscopic LAR 4/07
Rectovag fistula caused by anastamosis staple; loop ileostomy 5/07
Flap repair of fistula 7/07; Failed 8/07
Open LAR for takedown of fistula 1/08
Ileostomy reversal 2/08

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:10 am

I have a gag reflex to the liquids. I did them all, and got sick on all of them. I now take the pills, and that is so much better. The liquids are nasty, and the Dr that did my coloscopy did not bother to tell me I could mix with soda, juice to make it more tolerable.

ONWARD!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 am

For my next cscopy they have me taking three (3) (yep that is correct, 3) Magnesium citrate with four (4) dulcolax taken 2 hours apart with 32 ounces of water or clear gatorade after each bottle of that wonderful m.c.

Oh yes, i musn't forget the baby wipes!
Crohn's Colitis
Stroke Sep 2012

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:51 am

And LOTS of Vaseline. My sister like A&D, but it has lanolin and I'm allergic to it. Found that out the hard way. Preparation H has lanolin too. Not a happy thought!
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

JACKIE

Postby JACKIE » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:27 pm

i'm doing the moviprep now and it is not any better than any of the other preps!!!!! please,,,, someone help with with getting this stuff down!!!!!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 pm

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN :

We have a winner : PICO SALAX.

Please stop torturing yourself with the medi-Evil concoctions you keep posting about and get somebody in the US of A to get you some PICO frickin' SALAX.

Please...you are my friends here and I don't want you to suffer !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Postby jane » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 am

Hi,
Ditto, Crguy! I live in Australia and had posted before about a product here called Picoprep. Presume the same as yours. My surgeon still sells to his patients Fleet from his consulting rooms but for my last 2 colonoscopys with him I've used Picoprep - and he has nothing negative to say regarding a good "clear-out". Why do they persist with Fleet? I can't swallow it, it's so disgusting. I did ask my surgeon if he'd tasted Fleet and he said he had had a teaspoonful and was aware how revolting it was. Pecoprep tastes like flat lemonade and if you have a morning colonoscopy booked, you drink the first glass at 3pm, then the second later in the evening. Much better that spending the entire day in the bathroom as with Fleet.
Cheers,
Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

PJ

Postby PJ » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:04 pm

It's been 4 hours since I took my first dose of this Moviprep; the doctor had me -split the doasage into 2 parts, one the day before the procedure, and one, the morning of the actual colonoscopy.I had a solid movement[my regular]-about 2.5 hours afterwards and not even-an urge to go, just these sharp and dull upper abdomen pain. These quite hurt and having just called the the clinic's emergency service, they informed me that if I don't have any "action" [tomorrow mourning]after 2nd dose-call the office, to reschedule or be given yet-More laxatives!-What can they do-?-perscribe "Dynamite"?! I'm pretty "miffed" over spending $50.00, drinking "gallons of water", no food and getting some weird upper abdomen pains from hell that have lasted for hours...*sighs*
I cannot sleep/read with this pain and the nurse-said to go to the emergency room if the pain, became too intense[took my breath away].-If I have no breath; it will be difficult to move quick enough to get myself to an emergency room. Has ANYONE had this kind of experience with this [un][crappy],ineffective preparation? I have had better and 100% more effective Results-[ less upsetting & painful ] with "vegetable/fruit" juice cleansing. This is my first time doing this[colonoscopy] and my "upper" tummy hurts so much-that I need to take pain-relievers for those sharp bouts of pain-not related to "the urge to purge", as they are too high up in my stomach... :(

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:18 pm

I had the pills, cause I have a gag factor, and have vomited off all the liquids. I was offered "movie prep" for my up coming colonoscopy, and thought, what a farce, like you can sit and watch a movie, you'll be in the bathroom! But seriously the pills were a breeze and I insisted on them, and thats the route I will always go.

ONWARD!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

marge

patti - OsmoPrep

Postby marge » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Patti wrote:My doc had me try MoviPrep for my last colonoscopy. It was a lot easier than the other stuff I've taken in the past, as I didn't have to take the ducolax/bisacodyl (something like that) that caused a lot of cramping the last time.

Advice....chill it and drink it through a straw!!!!! Definitely better then the big gallon junk they gave me before.

I saw an ad about OsmoPrep (pills). Has anyone tried that? A friend took those and said it was pretty easy.

I had my third colonoscopy today and chose to use the OsmoPrep this time around. (8 years ago it was Golytle and 5 years ago I don't remember, but liquid). OsmoPrep was not a good choice for me. It didn't clean out well enough and I need to return tomorrow after using Fleet phospho soda tonight. Next time I'll go with the other choice. Good luck

bpatter

Postby bpatter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:16 am

2ua6ua8

moviprep is great compared to other stuff i taken

K_S

Postby K_S » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 am

My Mom is scheduled for bowel prep later this week. Not colon reasons but she is undergoing a "Whipple" procedure for pancreatic cancer. This is the ultimate of all surgeries.

But her lies my question. The surgeon prescibed fleet phososoda (?) and 2 ducolax (along with 3 antibiotic pills). WHile talking with her gastro and speaking about the prep the gasto screamed "Don't take that. It can cause severe heart rythmm irregulatites as well as renal failure in anyone over 65", (she is 79). He has now prescribed halflytle (because it has the doculax tabs). She has had halflytle before and did not like it as she had major cramping.

Please help me to figure out what would be the easiest solution for this poor lady to take.

sammie

Postby sammie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:43 pm

I used Movi Prep and it caused me to have severe cramping for a good 4 hrs. I thought I was going to have to go to the ER! I have this done every 5 yrs and I will not use this again. Fleets is a little more friendly than this stuff.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”