Bloody Urine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NedPlease

Bloody Urine

Postby NedPlease » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

There's blood in my urine. A completely red urine sample was what I gave the UrgentCare doctor today. I'm on vacation out of state and my onc's nurse advised me to rule out UTI. The sample didn't indicate infection and was sent off for more analysis. Results in 48 hrs.
Urgent doc, Dick Lynch ( that can't be a good sign) said maybe renal cancer...heart stopped and held back tears... Is anything health related going to be cancer from here on out?
I called onc and she convinced me it's probably not renal cancer (she said "no way, you had a clear scan two months ago", but I can't truly believe in "no way" anymore).
I do have a cyst on my right kidney that's never caused problems. I have no discomfort, so kidney stones not likely.
Onc said an ER trip for CT scan would be the next move if worsened. I'm seeing onc on Monday anyway for routine visit and I've added a GYN to Monday as well. I do not want to end my vacation nor do I want to spend it in a hospital. I'm planning on holding out for home.
Should I be scared?
Thoughts?
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

Rob in PA

Re: Bloody Urine

Postby Rob in PA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 pm

That's a tough one to respond to. My gut reaction is to finish out your vacation utilizing the local docs (being very aware of worsening symptoms) and see your once when u get home. Some may disagree with me, but you can't live your life in constant fear or cancer wins.

Hope u salvage a decent vacation.
rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

mymom

Postby mymom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am

My friend who does not have cancer has had coke colored pee for over a month. They ruled out cancer. They think kidney infection. That cyst could also be pushing on something. And it could be a UTI. I had bloody urine and a UTI. Maybe try antibiotics first and see if it clears up. Why don't they think UtI?
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri
NED to 10/13,1 liver met,ablation, Folfiri
NED to 12/14, another spot
3/15 NED
Ablation 1 liver met 10/15
1/16-current NED
6/22- small spot liver again, ablation oct 2023

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am

UTI was the most obvious diagnosis until the urine test showed no infection. I wished for an infection. I've never had a UTI - that's unusual in itself. No antibiotics were offered since no infection. More pathology info should be a available tomorrow afternoon. I may have to add a urologist to the appointments next week. Confusing as to which doc should go first. Onc, gyno, urologist...haven't even bothered with primary care doc.
Trying hard not to worry. I very much appreciate the replies.
6/10- Folfox
11/10-3/11- Folfox
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

olgrizz

Postby olgrizz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Have had some bleeding also. Have a permanent colostomy. Doc says radiation in the perineum region and bladder is often the cause. Makes tiny blood vessels brittle. I have also had some prostatitus issues. Four weeks of Cipro did the trick. One year post op and still sore in the backside region!

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 am

If you're scared, you're scared, whether there's need for it or not. It can be hard to rationalize yourself out of anxiety and fear. But rationally, there's nothing you can do right now to deal with the urine in your blood so if it's not debilitating you, you might as well enjoy your vacation. Cross the medical bridge when you're in a position to really do it. Be aware of your symptoms getting worse, but beyond that, enjoy today.

It's funny, I suppose, because cancer gives you this perspective that can compel you to really live in the moment, to enjoy the here and now, and yet it also works really hard to take you out of the moment and wreck your quality of life. Today is gift. Make the most of it.

When you get home, you might want to ask for a liver panel that includes an alkaline phosphatase level.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 am

Have you heard anything yet? I have had a burning sensation in my bladder on and off since probably September. I recently went to a urologist and they too said it isn't a bladder infection. I am supposed to be getting some type of scope on the 6th and I am hoping they find the cause and don't just tell me I have cystitis or something vague like that. So far they have told me to stop drinking coffee and wine! :? It certainly seems worse if I drink more than one glass of red wine, but with waiting for my CEA test results what am I supposed to do! Last night it burned so bad I could not even sleep.
I hope yours turns out to be something *else*. Please let us know what happened.
-Susan H.
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

NedPlease

Update: Bloody Urine

Postby NedPlease » Thu May 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Long story short- it's a 5mm kidney stone.

Without classic kidney stone symptoms (obvious back/flank discomfort or nausea), it took a CT scan to reveal a kidney stone causing gross hematuria.

For ten days, I was wrecked out over a recurrence or a whole new cancer, so I'm thankful for a kidney stone.

Still nothing more than a mild awareness of something on right side (same "pain" I had with two liver tumors and ascending colon tumor that I thought too many sit-ups caused), I'm just drinking lots of water until I know more after tomorrow's urology appointment.

FYI- my onc put me on Vit D supplement a couple of months ago for a needed boost in my level. She prescribed a lower dose of 10,000 units weekly so as to not risk kidney stone development. I even missed some doses and still got a stone. Coincidence? Maybe, but be aware of the risk if on Vit D supplements.

Perhaps terrible pain is headed my way, but it's not cancer and the agony and stress will end...unlike cancer, that never really ends. I will most likely be the happiest patient in the urologist's waiting room tomorrow.
Last edited by NedPlease on Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
6/10- Folfox
11/10-3/11- Folfox
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Kidney stones suck, but what a relief. Hope it passes.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

mymom

Postby mymom » Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm

I am glad it is a kidney stone.
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri