something exciting happened to me this weekend!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
babbo

something exciting happened to me this weekend!

Postby babbo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:43 pm

i just wanted to share with you fellow members something interesting that happened to me this weekend...

first off, i have suffered severe chemo reactions in the past...

so, when i found out my cancer had spread to my lungs, after a successful liver resection, i dreaded the upcoming chemo plus the extra ingredients added~~somehow, i'm doing ok with only fatigue...(knock on wood)...first blessing!!!

anyways, i've kinda just been sitting or laying around wondering what will happen next...just doing the everyday stuff, and waiting to see what tomorrow will bring...

this weekend, a wonderful person came to visit...we had family and friends in...with music, drinks, kids having fun and squeeling.....and WOW...i actually found lost strength and peace...i feel almost like a new person...i'm not even that tired!!

i do realize that tomorrow morning, i will be receiving my shot of good "poison"...BUT, i now realize that this whole thing is about LIVING each day to it's fullest...i feel a new energy...and i am really excited...

so, please....ALL OF YOU....do try to think positive thoughts and don't give into depression and bad thoughts...although this is a very serious and scary journey, it is NOT a good thing to allow ourselves to be "food for the devil"...

i hope me sharing this gives you a second thought on being positive...i know i have received more help from your posts than you will ever know...and i appreciate it so much...

i'm just so excited about finding this new energy and fun loving part of my life back...i was water skiing up to diagnosis...haven't been on the skiis since, but do enjoy the hot tub and family...each day is a gift...

bless you all...

barbara :-)
Age 61..dx with RCC December 2005
Recurrence initial site mid 2006~Temp Colostomy
Mets to liver (3) Feb 2007
Successful resection Easter 2007..
Undergoing 12 mo~Folfiri w/Avastin
Progressed~3 Mets Lungs
Liver looks good so far
Doubled my chemo dosage 7/08

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: something exciting happened to me this weekend!

Postby NWgirl » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Some people - cancer or not - will never experience the joy of living that you have. Good for you!!!! Keep up the fight and enjoy every moment you have. Yesterday we had 2 couples over with their kids for a BBQ. Yeah, it was total chaos, but it was so fun being around friends and everyone having a good time. Today I actually had enough energy to do some work in the yard/garden - so therapeutic. I wonder when I plant my small plants or a crop of corn if I will live long enough to see it. But I figure if I don't, I've laid the ground work for my family to enjoy my garden when I'm gone - and in some small way leave a piece of me behind for them to enjoy. We just don't know what tomorrow will bring or how many tomorrow's we will have. I'm going to do my best to enjoy what I do have and you do the same. I'm so glad you had a fun weekend!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Barbara,

Sounds like you had a good weekend, glad to hear that, laughter is the best medicine, and will change your whole mood. Good luck with tomorrow's treatment.

When I was going thru chemo, I had a standing appointment with a girlfriend every other Friday. This was the week I would be off chemo, and we would hit garage sales, estate sales, etc then do lunch. It was a mini vacation for me, I would not schedule Dr.appointments on that day, nor would I think about my cancer. I was my day to be normal and have LOTS OF FUN.

While going thru chemo, another girlfriend encourage me to go shopping with her the day after Thanksgiving at 4:00 am, BLACK FRIDAY (I disconnected my pump from myself on Thanksgiving Day), and to say I was tired, was an understatement. Anyway, this girlfriend and I had such a great time, we have turned Black Friday into an annual event (only now we are up by 3:00 and on the road by 4:00 am) and shop till we drop.

Something else I found usefully, have a hobby at home, something you can pick up and put when on chemo. It helped me with nervous energy, and kept my mind off chemo and cancer.

Best of luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

CureCRC

Postby CureCRC » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:10 pm

I could not agree more....someone said that life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away....As scary as it is, we can make each day the best it can be by having a good attitude and savoring even the simplest moments...listening to good music, being with good friends, enjoying a healthy meal, taking a walk...each part of our daily lives can be treasured, at least that's a big piece of the life lesson I have learned...

Cheers to you!

CureCRC

dx 3/07 stage 3 rectal cancer
28 days 5FU/radiation
LAR with TME and lymph nodes removed
Temp loop ileostomy July 2007
downstaged > stage 2
24 weeks Folfox 6 completed 3/08
takedown 5/08

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 pm

You have now discovered the big secret of cancer survival. It isn't all about sophisticated treatment regimes ( as important as they are), its as much about getting your head right and enjoying life as it has been dealt to you, and making the most of any opportunity that comes to you.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Marvin Gardens

Postby Marvin Gardens » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Dear Barbara, I am so happy for you and your great weekend. And that you have your spunk back. No one knows how long they have in this crazy world. Even those without colon cancer. So i say, this has taught us all something along the way. To live each day with great laughter and friends and family. Our chemo seems to control our busy schedules.... when we let it. i went with friends this weekend to see Mama Mia and i was laughing and singing out loud. I am off chemo for 2 weeks getting ready for my PET scan on Tuesday. And then back to chemo. But i am thankful for every day, and the new people i have met here on this board. So thanks for the post. Mary

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”